Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

silliness getting to LMS settings page

Hello.

I'm having trouble browsing to the settings page of my LMS. I know this is actually likely to be a dumb network-y question, but I don't understand quite enough about networking. I thought maybe if the fix is glaringly obvious someone might share it with me.

I'm on Win10 with the latest LMS server installed (7.9.3). The computer I have LMS on is called "COLDBREW"

I can browse to coldbrew:9000 and play with the LMS server just fine.

When I click on the "Settings" icon at lower-right,

1. I get a "403 Forbidden: settings/index.html" error.
    2. The address bar shows coldbrew:9000/settings/index.html?player=xxxx etc.

BUT, if I edit the address and replace "coldbrew" with either "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" [/B]or the actual IP of coldbrew, it works and I get to the settings page.

Any ideas? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Owen.

P.s. / FWIW - I checked that my puter DOES indeed know who it is by pinging localhost and seeing the response "Pinging coldbrew [::1] with 32 bytes of data" etc.

Finally: here's the relevant log entry from the error:

[20-05-24 17:55:30.1076] Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (990) Access to settings pages is restricted to the local network or localhost: 169.254.57.70 -> 192.168.1.152 (settings/index.html)

From this it looks like maybe LMS thinks my external IP is 169.254.57.70?

1. It's not.
    2. Why would my external IP be involved in letting me browse to a settings page on my local machine anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by poutine666 View Post
    Hello.

I'm having trouble browsing to the settings page of my LMS. I know this is actually likely to be a dumb network-y question, but I don't understand quite enough about networking. I thought maybe if the fix is glaringly obvious someone might share it with me.

I'm on Win10 with the latest LMS server installed (7.9.3). The computer I have LMS on is called "COLDBREW"

I can browse to coldbrew:9000 and play with the LMS server just fine.

When I click on the "Settings" icon at lower-right,

1. I get a "403 Forbidden: settings/index.html" error.
    2. The address bar shows coldbrew:9000/settings/index.html?player=xxxx etc.

BUT, if I edit the address and replace "coldbrew" with either "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" [/B]or the actual IP of coldbrew, it works and I get to the settings page.

Any ideas? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Owen.

P.s. / FWIW - I checked that my puter DOES indeed know who it is by pinging localhost and seeing the response "Pinging coldbrew [::1] with 32 bytes of data" etc.

Finally: here's the relevant log entry from the error:

[20-05-24 17:55:30.1076] Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (990) Access to settings pages is restricted to the local network or localhost: 169.254.57.70 -> 192.168.1.152 (settings/index.html)

From this it looks like maybe LMS thinks my external IP is 169.254.57.70?

1. It's not.
    2. Why would my external IP be involved in letting me browse to a settings page on my local machine anyway?
    Could it be that LMS is started before your win10 has an IP and so it binds to the self-assigned address? Have you tried to stop and restart LMS?
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Yes the 169 address is what you get if your PC doesnĺt pick up an IP address from the DHCP server

Localhost or 127.0.0.1 will always work from the machine itself but if your PC has a 169 address then nothing else will.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Your PC has not got a IP address on your local network for the name "COLDBREW". The 169.254.*.* IP addresses are self generated if DHCP doesn't respond. From your trace where it says the settings are at IP 192.168.1.152 it is outside your local 169.* network that is being picked up for "COLDBREW". Do you have multiple NIC's on your computer? Your PC name "COLDBREW" needs to have an address on the same network as Settings (which I thought was on this PC??). I don't understand why your "ColdBrew" is returning the 169.* What happens if you ping "COLDBREW". I personally have always used IP's on my local network, I reserve the IP for my LMS server machine so I always know where it is on my network. Since I've always used IP's I've not seen your problem.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Your PC has not got a IP address on your local network for the name "COLDBREW". The 169.254.*.* IP addresses are self generated if DHCP doesn't respond. From your trace where it says the settings are at IP 192.168.1.152 it is outside your local 169.* network that is being picked up for "COLDBREW". Do you have multiple NIC's on your computer? Your PC name "COLDBREW" needs to have an address on the same network as Settings (which I thought was on this PC??). I don't understand why your "ColdBrew" is returning the 169.* What happens if you ping "COLDBREW". I personally have always used IP's on my local network, I reserve the IP for my LMS server machine so I always know where it is on my network. Since I've always used IP's I've not seen your problem.
    Thanks to all of you for trying to help with this.

Restarting the LMS doesn't change the issue, so I don't think it's caused by IP-assignment timing.

I have my router manually assigning 192.168.1.152 to COLDBREW (based on its MAC address) so that never changes. That IP actually hasn't changed in years, and I have other software - e.g. a Plex server that requires the COLDBREW IP to stay consistent for port-forwarding reasons - and that all seems to work ok.

>>Do you have multiple NIC's on your computer?

There's also wireless card that I never use.

>>What happens if you ping "COLDBREW"

This:
    =========
    Pinging coldbrew [fe80::8df6:2969:45f4:3946%12] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from fe80::8df6:2969:45f4:3946%12: time<1ms
    etc.
    =========

I understand that COLDBREW gets assigned its IP from the router, but I confess ignorance about the role of the network name (terminology correct?) COLDBREW or how this name gets used in this environment.

Come to think of it, I don't know for sure why my browser shortcut even uses "COLDBREW:9000" to get to LMS instead of "localhost:9000" or "192.168.1.152:9000" all of which seem to work fine.

Maybe it was from years ago when I had different LMS servers on different machines. I now have only the one, so I guess I should just update my shortcut with one of the various working options I have now discovered, and call it a day.. I guess I don't like not knowing stuff, and there's just so darn much stuff available to not-know...

Thanks again.

Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by poutine666 View Post
    Come to think of it, I don't know for sure why my browser shortcut even uses "COLDBREW:9000" to get to LMS instead of "localhost:9000" or "192.168.1.152:9000" all of which seem to work fine.
    I only use the equivalent of "192.168.1.152:9000" to access my LMS servers. I've never used sever names or "localhost" name.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

From your ping it looks like it's responding from an IPv6 address. What happens if you uncheck IPv6 in your network adapter settings and retest all of this?
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Have you added COLDBREW to the local hosts file ?? unless it is registered in your local dns, the computer will not know what to do with COLDBREW ... what happends if you type ping COLDBREW from the command prompt ?

127.0.0.1 is present by default in your local hosts file, so that will always work ...(i.e. windows will know where to go ..)

HERE is a good article on howto edit the file to make the change ...
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1591161343 @ Thu Jun 4 04:13:32 CEST 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------