Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Tagging Issue

Tagging Issue

I fail to believe I can't find anything on this issue by searching, but maybe I'm just searching the wrong thing?

I have an issue, which stems from one particular Windows computer running MP3Tag. Any file tagged with this system is problematic with LMS. It is:

Read by any other music player
    Shows up in the LMS library
    Does not show when added to a playlist (now playing playlist, or any other playlist)
    The file plays at the appropriate place in the playlist (notwithstanding it not displaying)
    The file plays with no issue
    When the file is playing, it does not show any tag data on the SBT. On iPeng, it displays the previous track data.

What error or setting could be causing this?

What types an version of Tag is this mp3tag using?
    I followed an advice to only write id3v2 tags and remove all others.

Helpful Reading from the Slim Devices Wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ide_To_Tagging

"MP3 files store tag information ("metadata", or data about data) in "ID3" tags. See Wikipedia for a discussion on the differences between ID3v1 (old!) and ID3v2 (newer!). Note both types can be present in a file simultaneously.
    With SqueezeCenter, it would be best to eliminate ID3v1 tags entirely, skip ID3v2.2 and use ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 alone. ID3v1 tags are limited to 30 characters. Your tagging program of choice may correctly display truncated titles, but it may instead display ID3v2 tag titles or even data from its own cache, and it may not let you know what it's displaying. SqueezeCenter attempts to use ID3v2 if both tag types are present, but with so many different tag types, you can get confused as to which ones your files have. If you have incorrect tag data that seems to persist after you correct it and rescan, look for ID3v1 tags and eliminate them.
    Note that some portable devices do not support ID3v2.4 tags yet.
    APEv2 tags can also be present in an MP3 along with the ID3 tag types, this further confuses matters. Only MP3Gain should write APEv2 tags - do not put text-based data in APEv2 tags.
    FLAC and OGG files store tags in VORBIS comments. (Be careful, as FLAC files can contain VORBIS comments and ID3 tags at the same time. If at all possible delete all ID3 tags from the flac file. FLAC standard only guarantees that VORBIS comments will be read by any flac compliant program, while ID3 may be read by some but not by others.This has confused some people, who were modifying the ID3 tags instead of the VORBIS ones, and not seeing the proper result.)
    APE tags are similar to VORBIS comments, in that they are free-form. They are the native tag format for Musepack & Monkey's Audio formats. Additionally, APE tags are often used to store ReplayGain information in the footer of MP3 files.
    WMA (Microsoft) and AAC (Apple) use proprietary file formats.
    WAV files can't hold tag information at all."

If reading this hasn't solved the issue after looking into your "Tagger" setting and what revision your tags are, please tell us what type of files you are tagging IE MP3, FLAC, etc. What I am getting at here is that all music files are not tagged alike.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

God I recently had to write a stack of scripts to strip the id3 tags from my flacs and apply vorbis comments in their place. Apparently grip was always writing id3 even when it was set to output flac. Pain in the butt because the files can't be read by all the tools unless you strip them, and if you strip them you have no titles...

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by karlek View Post
    What types an version of Tag is this mp3tag using?
    I followed an advice to only write id3v2 tags and remove all others.
    Somewhat unintuitively, it's easy to do this in MP3tag.
    In Tools->Options->Tags->Mpeg, check that in Remove all tag types are checked, and in Write just ID3v2 is checked.
    Load the files you want to fix, select all, click the big red X on the toolbar. This will remove all tags.
    Finally, click the Undo Remove button; this will write back only the ID3v2 tags.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ftlight View Post
    Somewhat unintuitively, it's easy to do this in MP3tag.
    In Tools->Options->Tags->Mpeg, check that in Remove all tag types are checked, and in Write just ID3v2 is checked.
    Load the files you want to fix, select all, click the big red X on the toolbar. This will remove all tags.
    Finally, click the Undo Remove button; this will write back only the ID3v2 tags.

Bill
    Problem fixed. Thanks all