Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    does LMS/Squeezebox 2 limit the sampling or bit rate

    I am new to this group and many of the posts are too technical for me. I am trying to determine if my LMS/Squeezebox 2 setup is sending the unmodified flac file to my DAC. My new DAC will accept anything up to 24 bit/192k on the s-pdif inputs however when I play for example a 24/96 flac file the DAC display indicates 48k! Can anyone help me on this, without getting too technical. Does my Squeezebox adjust the resolution?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by rogingat View Post
    I am new to this group and many of the posts are too technical for me. I am trying to determine if my LMS/Squeezebox 2 setup is sending the unmodified flac file to my DAC. My new DAC will accept anything up to 24 bit/192k on the s-pdif inputs however when I play for example a 24/96 flac file the DAC display indicates 48k! Can anyone help me on this, without getting too technical. Does my Squeezebox adjust the resolution?
    IIRC Squeezebox 2 & 3 players are both limited to 24/48
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  3. #3
    Senior Member w3wilkes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    IIRC Squeezebox 2 & 3 players are both limited to 24/48
    I think the Duet receiver has this same limitation.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Nightly on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Nightly on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    Thanks for the info

    Is it possible to sream directly from my pc USB port with LMS? Would I get 24/96?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    28
    Check the localplayer plugin. It installs squeezelite which is basically a software squeezebox. I run it to async USB up to 24/192.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    I installed Squeezelite but ....

    Quote Originally Posted by TonioRoffo View Post
    Check the localplayer plugin. It installs squeezelite which is basically a software squeezebox. I run it to async USB up to 24/192.
    Thanks for the info. I installed Squeezelite already and I can select and play through it from LMS however it sends the output to my sound card. I need it to go to a USB port and to my DAC but I don't know how to do that. I have read that its possible?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    28
    Are you running Linux?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Apesbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,166
    You need to tell Squeezelite which output to use by first using the "-l" command to enumerate what outputs are available on your PC. Run this command with your USB DAC attached to your PC and properly installed. One of the output options should be your DAC. You include this option on your Squeezelite startup command.

    Here's a setup guide for Windows:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...8-step-by-step
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-11-17 at 13:48. Reason: Linked to setup guide.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    I'm stuck

    Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    You need to tell Squeezelite which output to use by first using the "-l" command to enumerate what outputs are available on your PC. Run this command with your USB DAC attached to your PC and properly installed. One of the output options should be your DAC. You include this option on your Squeezelite startup command.

    Here's a setup guide for Windows:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...8-step-by-step
    Thanks for the info. It helped a lot. Unfortunately when it comes to this kind of work I am really dumb. I ran the driver software and installed the driver in the Squeezelite folder. I connected the DAC and set it to USB. I did the -l thing and got a list. My DAC driver (XCORE) is not there. I don't have any idea what to do next! I checked in my Connected Device list and the DAC driver is there with a note under it saying that the driver is unavailable!
    Last edited by rogingat; 2017-11-17 at 19:21.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Apesbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,166
    Are you running Windows? Open Device Manager and find the disabled USB audio device. Right-click on it and select update driver. Point it to the folder where you downloaded/installed the XCORE driver. You have to get the USB audio device working before you can solve the Squeezelite issue.

    Note: for someone admittedly inexperienced with this level of support/troubleshooting you are going through a lot of trouble for a less convenient solution than your SB2 and very little if any sound difference. My advice is to go back to your original configuration, update LMS to current 7.9.1 beta, and enjoy your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •