Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SBT Remote issue...

Hi all

Now having 4 SBTs (2 sealed) I recently decided to sell one.The remote I was using with my SBT didnt look as New as the one I was selling so thought I swap them..except to find the one stored didnt now work...The strange thing is it worked fine before being stored(its been stored safely for about a year..The batteries were took out..no leaking, Not stored in Damp & looked after, never dropped...) So my new buyer is going to get the working remote and Iam left with a new looking but Non working one.

I know the Simple Solution is to crack open my brand new SBT and use that remote...But with it being sealed would rather not. (Sorry to sound like a Vinyl Collector who buys records sealed and never plays Them..) I would rather get my remote fixed or lookout for one on ebay. Like many of you I use my Phone/tablet to access tracks but still use the remote for set up or problems that may arise.

Is there any remote Doctors out there...? Any Ideas what may have happened.BTW I Used Some Iso. alcohol to clean the batteries Connectors but still no Joy...

All ideas welcome!

I may have found the answer in a previous thread..?

"Thanks for the pictures and instructions. My remote had not been used for a long time.
    When I opened it today the batteries was in a miserable shape. Sweat and ruined batteries.
    By open up and get rid of all battery "sweat" inside of the remote I finally made it work again."

Theres no "Battery sweat" In mine by the looks of it..But seeing Mine was bought second hand the previous owner might of let that happen.One of the battery connectors (The spring one) Looks dull...
    Last edited by daleyb; 2017-11-15 at 04:25.

Hi,

my recommendation is to first check the batteries you are using to test. Do they work fine in a different remote control? If the terminal pad looks dull, you might use some sand paper to recondition it. However, if you do this you may damage the plastic surface around the connector pad so it may be best to open the remote control and get the PCB out so you have better access to the connectors.

There are three main reasons why it fails:

• power issue: remote control does not get any power (e.g. because batteries empty / bad battery connectors)
    • IR LED issue: the infrared emitter (LED-style housing) may have become detached from the PCB. As the pictures below illustrate, the LED does not have any means of strain relief. It is just fixed in two places, i.e. the solder pads. This is even worse with remote control units for the Classic as they expose the LED outside. Pusing it in rips it off the solder pads definitely. This is a bit better in the Touch control as the LED is hidden behind a red window
    • control IC issue: the integrated circuit that does the main job of the remote control may be damaged. This is K.O. then, as this is a special part that is not available on the free market

Here are some pictures of my Touch remote control PCB and the IR LED, particularly how it is attached:

Name:  2017-11-15 14.07.48 IMG_4203_Thumb.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  2017-11-15 14.03.53 IMG_4202_Thumb.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  2017-11-15 14.03.31 IMG_4201_Thumb.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  145.3 KB

Even though the IR emitter is not reachable outside, dropping the remote control to the floor may still rip the LED off thanks to gravity.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    7x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (two waiting for repair)
    1x Radio

To open the remote controller, you will need a flat stable tool like a metal spudger which you insert right below the top panel on one of the sides. Eight clips in the top piece attach to recessed areas in the bottom part of the remote control. You will have to carefully crank up one of these points for a start and then work your way around from there.

Name:  2017-11-15 14.18.12 IMG_4204_Thumb.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  163.7 KB

The battery terminals on the PCB are then freely accessible as shown here.

Name:  2017-11-15 14.24.17 IMG_4205_Thumb.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  90.5 KB

There is another piece of formed wire in the bottom housing to connect the battery poles on the adjacent side of these. Take a close look at them, too:

Name:  2017-11-15 14.29.52 IMG_4206_Thumb.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  181.3 KB

You see here, it's worth it...
    Last edited by JoeMuc2009; 2017-11-15 at 05:38.

1x Transporter
    1x Radio

Great Info..Many Thanks !. I will check batteries first (Sometimes the most Obvious Can be overlooked)
    My Spiral Connector Isnt as bad as the one in your Picture.However one is matt the other Shiny. The previous owner may have left the batteries in for a long period..I guess folk use there phones or tablets then forget there remote.(Something Quite easy to do...)

Shame the remote wasn't designed and made in Germany. No doubt it would have been leak proof, drop proof and Bomb Proof too.

I Will get on the Remote case ASAP and let you know I get on.Thanks again, Iam forever grateful for "The Brains" on here!

update: Case off Fine. IR looks fine.However, The battery Spiral Connector (The one Bottom right from back has become Green and Powder on the small metal Square before the Blue Chip. (Iam sure the brains have a term for this!). On the metal Square near the spiral connector I Have cleaned it off.While the top plate is off I will clean the sticky off it...

Any other advise..?

It's not back working yet, I assume? If you have a 3V power supply, you might hook it to find out whether the batteries or their compartment are part of the problem anyway.
    To test the output of the IR emitter, you can use e.g. your smartphone's camera. While you press a remote button, the IR light from the emitter should be visible in the camera's display as purple flashing.

1x Transporter
    1x Radio

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    It's not back working yet, I assume? If you have a 3V power supply, you might hook it to find out whether the batteries or their compartment are part of the problem anyway.
    To test the output of the IR emitter, you can use e.g. your smartphone's camera. While you press a remote button, the IR light from the emitter should be visible in the camera's display as purple flashing.
    No its still not going.Tried the Smart phone idea-No Purple flashing...Tried my tv remote (That worked!)

When you Say "Hook it" With 3v..How do I do that can you expand..??

Opps may have just blown it! Just pulled the PCB out of case and the Battery connector came off.. the large spiral one above the blue Microchip ....Its now loose
    Last edited by daleyb; 2017-11-15 at 11:46.

Oops, not good. If you ripped the battery connector off the PCB, it will be hard to reattach it firmly enough so it does not come loose again. It's another point where stability relies 100% on the solder connection. You will also have to reconnect the thing to the PCB trace to which it was connected previously.
    Maybe this was the root cause all the time. If a corrosive agent from the battery has leaked onto the PCB, it will easily destroy the connective "vias" (the bright shiny lines connecting everything). It may also weaken their attachment to the board which might explain why the battery pad went off.
    If you know anybody with soldering skills, they might be the your best shot at rescuing the PCB. Otherwise it might be best to look for another used Touch remote on eBay if opening one of the original wrapped boxes is not an option - which I can understand very well! It could make $50 or more difference when you sell them as "never opened".

1x Transporter
    1x Radio

ummm... Tricky one that.I can see it may need soldering back on.If I was to get a soldering kit Could I do it...??
    (Ive never used one before) Even if I master it, I guess it still may NOT WORK.sometimes you get real battered SBT on ebay with remote cheap...That for me is the ideal.

Then theres these from the U.S..:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-...sAAOSwGPxZ5nqX

maybe I could use a remote from the classic..? (I remember you said they were fragile in THE IR Dept.)

do slim devices work with SBTs...???