Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 111 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1288
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I know that its not an answer to the question, but all of the regular streams have been rock solid for months for me. Not a glitch. I abandoned interactive because I really don't need the features. But, at that time, the issues were quite rare in my experience, mostly the fail, restart at a few songs previous.

Jim
    Yup I tried interactive this morning after reading Phillipe44's post and saw the restarting still happening.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Yup I tried interactive this morning after reading Phillipe44's post and saw the restarting still happening.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    This is interesting! I was playing the same stream you were this morning too, and my SB Touch dropped out and repeated several songs in about the same place your player did! Coincidence?

Edit: I believe my player restarted with Sarah Jarosz also ... maybe it is just a coincidence.
    Last edited by Ron F.; 2019-12-12 at 08:05.
    Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
    Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite/gmrender + Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Senn IE 80 earbuds
    Phone: Pixel 3a Phone + BubbleUPnP + Kiwi/Material > Bluetooth > Bose SoundLink Revolve
    Server: Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.2
    Music: Personal FLAC, Radio Paradise FLAC, Qobuz, Spotify

[Announce] Radio Paradise LosslessStreaming (Plugin v2)

> I don't understand ... Does the RP plugin download the entire FLAC file
    > all at once and then LMS begin to stream this data one song at a time to
    > the player, or is LMS downloading the file piecemeal while streaming to

The plugin does nothing with the stream. It only tells LMS what URL to
    play from. LMS would then start as quickly as possible, while still
    downloading the rest of the file.

> the player? From my past snooping using Wireshark, I had come under the
    > impression that the FLAC file is being download in pieces while
    > streaming to the player was ongoing, but eavesdropping on the Volumeio
    > forum, their discussion appeared to suggest the file was download all at
    > once in the beginning.

Volumio is doing whatever the Volumio devs have decided to do. It has
    nothing to do with LMS.

> I have set the LMS radio station buffer to 30 seconds - does that make
    > any difference when playing RP FLAC Interactive, since it is really
    > downloading a file instead of actually streaming?

I _think_ it can delay start of the playback as LMS would try to buffer
    the 30s before it starts playing. But that kind of code is well beyond
    my comfort zone (I'm sure bpa or philippe_44 would know better).

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > I don't understand ... Does the RP plugin download the entire FLAC file
    > all at once and then LMS begin to stream this data one song at a time to
    > the player, or is LMS downloading the file piecemeal while streaming to

The plugin does nothing with the stream. It only tells LMS what URL to
    play from. LMS would then start as quickly as possible, while still
    downloading the rest of the file.

> the player? From my past snooping using Wireshark, I had come under the
    > impression that the FLAC file is being download in pieces while
    > streaming to the player was ongoing, but eavesdropping on the Volumeio
    > forum, their discussion appeared to suggest the file was download all at
    > once in the beginning.

Volumio is doing whatever the Volumio devs have decided to do. It has
    nothing to do with LMS.

> I have set the LMS radio station buffer to 30 seconds - does that make
    > any difference when playing RP FLAC Interactive, since it is really
    > downloading a file instead of actually streaming?

I _think_ it can delay start of the playback as LMS would try to buffer
    the 30s before it starts playing. But that kind of code is well beyond
    my comfort zone (I'm sure bpa or philippe_44 would know better).

--

Michael
    I was looking at Volumio for a different perspective on the problem. They do indeed appear to be having a similar issue, but maybe for an entirely different reason! I got confused by their discussion.

Thanks for your response. If LMS is attempting to fill a 30 second buffer while downloading the file and failing, then something must be wrong with the connection to the RP server, or the process on the RP server itself. I note that while this failure is ongoing, if I hit the >| button to just go on to the next song, that usually works without having to go backwards to the beginning of the file and starting over.
    Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
    Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite/gmrender + Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Senn IE 80 earbuds
    Phone: Pixel 3a Phone + BubbleUPnP + Kiwi/Material > Bluetooth > Bose SoundLink Revolve

Quote Originally Posted by Ron F. View Post
    I was looking at Volumio for a different perspective on the problem. They do indeed appear to be having a similar issue, but maybe for an entirely different reason! I got confused by their discussion.

Thanks for your response. If LMS is attempting to fill a 30 second buffer while downloading the file and failing, then something must be wrong with the connection to the RP server, or the process on the RP server itself. I note that while this failure is ongoing, if I hit the >| button to just go on to the next song, that usually works without having to go backwards to the beginning of the file and starting over.
    From what I observed a while ago (and I made small standalone download apps to verify it), RP servers kick you out sometimes if you are not communication for more than 5 secs. Most players have large receive buffers and can often not require data for that length of time. I thought about a simple way to maintain communication every second that I did not think about before. I need to implement that. I tried yesterday but had a funny error and then it was too late in the day
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    From what I observed a while ago (and I made small standalone download apps to verify it), RP servers kick you out sometimes if you are not communication for more than 5 secs. Most players have large receive buffers and can often not require data for that length of time. I thought about a simple way to maintain communication every second that I did not think about before. I need to implement that. I tried yesterday but had a funny error and then it was too late in the day
    Interesting. Are you thinking of asking the network stack to send a TCP keepalive packet to the RP server periodically, <5 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron F. View Post
    Interesting. Are you thinking of asking the network stack to send a TCP keepalive packet to the RP server periodically, <5 seconds?
    Not exactly, I have 2 options

1- The simple one: force request of a small packet of say 1kB every second unless LMS requests data. That 1kB will not accumulate so much it would "saturate" LMS but it might be enough to maintain the connection, where TCP keepalive might not be enough
    2- The complex one: re-implement the HTTP download at the lower level (do not let LMS do it) in the protocol handler, as I did for YouTube
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Can you try to replace the protocolhandler.pm in the plugin's directory with this one? (/var/lib/squeezebox/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/RadioParadise on Linux and C:\ProgramData\squeezebox\cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins\RadioParadise on Windows).

It's not very pretty, but it might do the job

Save the current protocolhandler.pm first!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-12-12 at 16:30.

On my windows 10 machine it appears to reside here

C:\ProgramData\squeezebox\cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins \RadioParadise

Is that right or is my server a little old.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mboxler View Post
    On my windows 10 machine it appears to reside here

C:\ProgramData\squeezebox\cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins \RadioParadise

Is that right or is my server a little old.

Mike
    No, this is right - I forgot the 'cache' folder on both system. I've updated the post