Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Same issue - solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunzi View Post
    Hey guys,

thanks to you and the forum, my Boom is working like on day 1 !

Wifi Card exchange did the trick...

Oliver

I had the same issue (Boom not starting up - white button lights only switching on). I followed the instructions as mentioned above, replaced the WiFi card and had my Boom working again! Thanks so much for the recommended fix.

For those wishing to order a new WiFi card: I ordered one via AliExpress. Due to being a newby poster, I cannot include links. You can find the card by searching for the following product ID:

It should bring the following product description:

Wireless Adapter Card for Atheros 2413 AR2413A AR5005G 54Mbps 802.11b/g Mini Pci-E Wireless Wlan-card

Replace Wireless Card

Thanks Pieter.

My two booms seemed dead so I have ordered the wireless card that you mentioned. Presently on a 'slow boat from China' so hoping that for such a modest outlay my booms will be resurrected. But, just in case...

...anyone recommend replacement speakers? My main stereo is connected to my Touch so the required speakers are mainly to provide sound to (e.g.) the kitchen and other spaces so don't have to be uber hifi.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmebbc View Post
    Thanks Pieter.

My two booms seemed dead so I have ordered the wireless card that you mentioned. Presently on a 'slow boat from China' so hoping that for such a modest outlay my booms will be resurrected. But, just in case...

...anyone recommend replacement speakers? My main stereo is connected to my Touch so the required speakers are mainly to provide sound to (e.g.) the kitchen and other spaces so don't have to be uber hifi.
    If you dare, you might try repairing the speakers, it's illustrated here: https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...adio-bass.html
    There are no replacements that I know of. I don't believe that just any 3" speaker will do. The cutouts and mounting points in the Boom case are rather specific for the one speaker model used. Furthermore, the characteristics of these chassis are also implanted into the DSP, and there's no telling how a different combination will behave. I won't claim that it's impossible to use a different speaker though.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Thanks for the reply, Joe. Sorry that I was not more clear - mea culpa!

I was after suggestions for devices to completely replace the Booms in the event that I couldn't resurrect them with replacement wireless cards as others have been successful doing.

I was after suggestions for devices to completely replace the Booms in the event that I couldn't resurrect them with replacement wireless cards as others have been successful doing.
    no worries. If you are UK-based, you can send me the Booms for diagnosis and repair (free of charge until repair succeeds)

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

If I understand your question - in case your Booms don't make it through surgery, which might you replace them with?

One option would be if Philippe has any more squeezeAMPs https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ght=squeezeamp. Tiny inexpensive (thanks to Philippe's generosity) squeezelite player with a built in audio amp. Add a couple speakers or gut an old boom box and install it.

You can even add a small cheap display (see thread)

I am also very fond of sb radios, they are relatively cheap here in the US on ebay ($50-80USD) and really sound quite good. When you add a battery and they become portable, even better.

Jim

Trials and Tribulations

Confession is good for the soul, apparently.

Moving "stuff" around is always a bit fraught. So for reconfiguring my devices (the Booms) I did the work sat at my PC as it was easier doing it there so that I could access LMS on Pi over my network on the PC and carry out the LMS config easily.

So when both Booms that I have exhibited 'black screens' I looked here and found that the problem might relate to the wireless card. No great problem as those cards were only a few pounds each so two were duly ordered and they are now on their way. So far, so good.

Looking again at the problem I had another go at getting the Booms working and this time I had success - one Boom working perfectly. Great. Moved it to it's new location, tested the sync with other devices. All OK.

Tried with the second Boom. No luck. Now I know that the power supply connections are at best 'iffy'. What I hadn't considered was that this power supply that I had been using was dead. Found a similar voltage/amperage adapter and all is now well with my second Boom so I am fully up and running.

Moral: don't skimp on the troubleshooting as the answer may not be the one that you thought that it was. The bonus? I have two new wireless cards just in case...(redface, grin).

Ah well. Never mind. Hope that this makes you smile.
    Last edited by wheresmebbc; 2021-11-21 at 06:30.

Happy for you that you got things worked out. If you look around on this forum there are allot of problems and symptoms, some of them strange, that are resolved with new power supplies.

Regarding the power supply connectors, try some deoxit or similar on the connector and plug. Works for many, myself included.

Jim