Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SliMP3 & m4a issues

I signed up for iTunes Match and 'upgraded' all my MP3 CD rips to the iTunes .m4a 256 bit AAC format.

Today I discovered that most of my music library is now unplayable on my SliMP3 player. This is an original, purchased before Logitech bought the company.

Do I have any options beyond trying to restore my MP3s from a backup? It took a look at the advanced settings, and I didn't see a way to get the server to transcode AAC to MP3, but I may not be understanding the settings.

Server should transcode from AAC to MP3 assuming
    - server is not a Touch.
    - server has enough processing power and is not old as some older versions of SS/SBS AAC decoding may no longer be supported.
    - you have installed lame (for MP3 encoding)
    - AAC files do not have DRM.

What version of Server and server OS are you using ?

The server is a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. (1.8Ghz I think, but not positive. I can't check right now). Pretty much all it does is run the SqueezeBox server and Twonky Server.

I've installed the latest version, 7.7.0 I think.

I'll have to find and install Lame. I see a few options after doing a quick search.

AAC files are DRM free.

Once I have Lame installed, how do I enable transcoding?

Quote Originally Posted by nbast View Post
    I signed up for iTunes Match and 'upgraded' all my MP3 CD rips to the iTunes .m4a 256 bit AAC format.

Today I discovered that most of my music library is now unplayable on my SliMP3 player. This is an original, purchased before Logitech bought the company.

Do I have any options beyond trying to restore my MP3s from a backup? It took a look at the advanced settings, and I didn't see a way to get the server to transcode AAC to MP3, but I may not be understanding the settings.
    note, you've probably tried this, but after updating my older vortexbox appliance to run 7.7.0 (or maybe it was 7.7.1), I couldn't play ANY m4a/AAC files at all. Pulled my hair out for a while trying to debug, until I simply rebooted my computer (the VBA) and restarted LMS. Then all worked perfectly. < slap self on forehead and repeat to myself, "always reboot everything as first step in problem solving....">

edit: oops, just noticed this is an older SB player with different issues about what it can and cannot play....
    Last edited by garym; 2012-01-01 at 17:05.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by nbast View Post
    Once I have Lame installed, how do I enable transcoding?
    Should be enabled by default. Look at WebUI Settings/Advanced/File Types

I installed LAME 1.3.3 from here:
    http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/

Rebooted to be sure everything was loaded, same results.

On the File Types screen, the MP3 lines are all greyed out.

I tried to upload a screen shot, but everything I tried results in an error.

I'm running running LMS 7.7.1 on OS X 10.7.2. The Mac Mini is actually 2.4Ghz, but either is more than fast enough for real time MP3 encoding.

It looks like you installed a LAME library whereas you should have installed the LAME executable. If you are following instructions referencing audacity, ignore anything about Audacity as it uses the library

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...or_transcoding about installing but version of lame for OSX is out of date.

Also I think the version of lame should be 3.97 or later. Earlier version had bugs which may need to edit conf file to make it work.

A quick google showed many site with an up to date version. This site may have a good version for OSX - it is the sitre often used for the Windows version.
    http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

That did it! the key piece I was missing was the need to put LAME in the ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts folder.

Thank you!

The latest release of LAME is 3.99.

SliMP3 server issue(s)

Hy,
    My SliMP3 unit Name:  SliMP3 - Server software.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  45.0 KBjust displays, 'Looking for a SLIMP3 server...'. and the SliMP3 software only displays, 'SLIMP3 Server for Windows
    Starting Up...'

This unit used to work wonderfully; it's apparently a setup issue - can anyone advise?

Thanx,
    Myke