Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Wonder if universal is going to embedd thier horrible watermark in a MQA file to
    I still wonder where they want to go. Recent releases of the big labels don't have high samplerates, are watermarked and are compressed to DR4. The quality has declined clearly.
    Nobody should buy CDs or downloads anymore. Nobody should have a good sounding master at home.
    My bet is they want to produce stuff that is listened over streaming 1-3 times and done and if you like it you indirectly pay for every listen for the next 50 years.
    A CD you can buy and listen 50 years. The pushing of vinyl still goes on also. MQA is the streamed format for the audiophiles of today and the future.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Very nice "musings" post. Haven't read the comments yet but the article does a nice job of trying to separate science from opinion.

One question that comes to mind: will your "musings" start to drift now that you have the audiophile press' attention and, as was the case with Computer Audiophile site, you are slowly brought into the inner circle with generous "loans" of hyper-expensive equipment and other nifty perks? Just sayin'
    Hey Ralph! 😁

I suppose every man has his price but my viewpoints I suspect are rather difficult for the “high end” to get behind... Heck, I think the day they offer hyper-expensive long term loans to me that I’d be happy to accept will be a nice indication that mainstream audiophilia has turned the corner into a ‘more objective’ hobby!

That’s the kind of “paradigm shift” I’m looking for.
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Hey Ralph! 😁

I suppose every man has his price but my viewpoints I suspect are rather difficult for the “high end” to get behind... Heck, I think the day they offer hyper-expensive long term loans to me that I’d be happy to accept will be a nice indication that mainstream audiophilia has turned the corner into a ‘more objective’ hobby!

That’s the kind of “paradigm shift” I’m looking for.
    Only problem is you will not be offered the loans to write objectively about the equipment but rather to write subjectively, as per the advertisers instructions.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Only problem is you will not be offered the loans to write objectively about the equipment but rather to write subjectively, as per the advertisers instructions.
    Will see man. :-) After all these years of soft, touchy-feely subjective audiophile writers, I suspect objective guys will be a little too hot to touch for the scam elements of the industry.

"Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
    A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness"

-- Tupac Shakur
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Will see man. :-) After all these years of soft, touchy-feely subjective audiophile writers, I suspect objective guys will be a little too hot to touch for the scam elements of the industry.

"Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
    A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness"

-- Tupac Shakur
    I do so love it when a reviewer in TAS or Stereophile starts the review with a detailed explanation of the technical aspects of the equipment under review and then proceeds to go all voodoo and magic with respect to the sound quality, as if the two were completely unrelated. And of course in the case of MQA the two are completely unrelated since any careful review of the technical aspects of MQA would lead anyone with a firm grasp on the science of digital audio to conclude that MQA does absolutely nothing to enhance the audible sound quality. One the other hand, a nice "loan" of a $10,000 MQA enabled DAC might go a long in helping one to forget that conclusion.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

... On the other hand, a nice "loan" of a $10,000 MQA enabled DAC might go a long in helping one to forget that conclusion.
    Love it man, send that $10K MQA DAC ASAP!

I want to run a few impulse responses thru and see if I can verify the 16 MQA filters across the price points... I already have the measurement from the $100 AudioQuest Dragonfly Black, $2000 Mytek Brooklyn, and this $10,000 device will fit in nicely to the study.

Any manufacturers out there interested???

Not sure if I can forget conclusions... But I could try to rework things.
    Last edited by Archimago; 2017-10-21 at 17:16.

Expensive DAC's

Love it man, send that $10K MQA DAC ASAP!

I want to run a few impulse responses thru and see if I can verify the 16 MQA filters across the price points... I already have the measurement from the $100 AudioQuest Dragonfly Black, $2000 Mytek Brooklyn, and this $10,000 device will fit in nicely to the study.

Any manufacturers out there interested???

Not sure if I can forget conclusions... But I could try to rework things.
    Hi Archimago!

Mytek make a studio-orientated DAC called the Manhattan (now in version 2, so someone must be buying the things!) at a cool $6000.

It has word clock in & out, so that you can buy several & sync them up for multi-channel - at a price!

Don't know if it has MQA, but since it's for monitoring in the studio listening room I suspect it would have...

Give Michal Jurewicz a call & see if he'll lend you a full set for objective evaluation. He might just do it, he seems to be very proud of his designs.

As for you being seduced by such things, I've got you pegged with the "unclubable" Groucho Marx

Dave

Mytek offer a no quibble 30 day money back deal if you buy direct on their website.......

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Archimago!

Mytek make a studio-orientated DAC called the Manhattan (now in version 2, so someone must be buying the things!) at a cool $6000.

It has word clock in & out, so that you can buy several & sync them up for multi-channel - at a price!

Don't know if it has MQA, but since it's for monitoring in the studio listening room I suspect it would have...

Give Michal Jurewicz a call & see if he'll lend you a full set for objective evaluation. He might just do it, he seems to be very proud of his designs.

As for you being seduced by such things, I've got you pegged with the "unclubable" Groucho Marx

Dave
    Good one GE:

"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". Groucho Marx

Actually, I do belong to a number of non-profits, little get togethers (including a local audio gathering a couple years back), and of course more professional "clubs" so to speak. The "fraternity of subjectivist audiophile" (and it is very much a fraternity) - not so much.

On a "serious" note, regarding MQA, while the more expensive Manhattan DAC (ESS 9038) I'm sure is good, what would be interesting would be a non-ESS Tech DAC based decoder. The reason being that we know what kind of filtering parameters they're programming into these ESS DACs, but what about a TI/Burr Brown DAC or an AKM DAC? All kinds of reasons worth asking about this of course...
    Last edited by Archimago; 2017-10-24 at 20:25.

Have you tried the Chord Hugo/TT and friends? Not mqa certified I think, but quite different sounding from others, IME.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..