Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    As a one time radio DJ and collector I have spent countless hours, much like those of u reading this, listening to CD after CD, and I am often shocked to find a song on one CD release sounds clearly audibly different from the same song on another release.

This presents a problem when building a station library, what gets aired? What gets deleted? Some stations software has a function known as rotations that basically assign a letter appendix to the numerical listing of the track, so if u had 3 versions of a song, track 5487 it would be 5487a, 5487b, 5487c ...this is good bc when the schedule is automated, 5487 only gets scheduled once, but each time it's called up it remembers what letter was played last and it then plays the next one.

So anyway in my own collecting I try to identify materially different versions and then decide if any are worth keeping. To me, even tho the song may be a dupe, some are worth keeping and knowing the exact source cd is worth maintaining.

However, a lot of times a song may be exact duped by differing CDs or maybe u have only one version u want used or played, but u want to save space etc... I would love to be able to identify exact matches automatically (via audio fingerprinting) or manually with the intent that if this song is called up, this is the preferred version to play, and or get a song listed as part of say, a soundtrack, if it was deleted as a dupe from that soundtrack bc it exists on a traditional album elsewhere.

A system like this could work either via tags, or as user config'ing LMS if it allowed such functions. I'd like to get rotations and other radio station style scheduling into LMS. It actually has most of what it needs to do it!
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Four months after I mentioned that LMS 8+ now supports cue files that point to multiple audio source files, I have finally done a test with encouraging results. IF your OS and filesystem both support symlinks, it is now possible to have tracks in a box set appear in your library in two places: as part of the box set, and as part of the albums on which they were originally released.

The process is straightforward, but not very simple, as several steps are involved. Assuming the box set is contained in a single folder:

1. create a new folder for an original album,

2. in the new folder, create symlinks to the files that belong in that album.

3. still in the new folder, create a cue file pointing to the symlinks as tracks. Add appropriate metadata to the cue file.

4. (optional) add album art and supporting documentation for the original album in the new folder.

5. rescan

You now should be able access the tracks either way: as part of the box set or the original album, with appropriate art in each case. This works mostly the same whether you use the library or the music folder. However, there are two glitches. The first should be familiar to anyone using cue files: in the music folder, the symlinks are listed but cannot be played, but the cue file functions as a subdirectory. The cue file can be opened and individual tracks selected.

The other glitch appears when using the library: there is now an additional entry for the box set, which only lists the tracks from the original album. It also displays the thumbnail for the original album, so it should be easy to avoid. The correct entry for the box set should contain all tracks, including the ones in the original album.

Still a tedious process, but the end result is much more satisfactory than earlier attempts.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Four months after I mentioned that LMS 8+ now supports cue files that point to multiple audio source files, I have finally done a test with encouraging results. IF your OS and filesystem both support symlinks, it is now possible to have tracks in a box set appear in your library in two places: as part of the box set, and as part of the albums on which they were originally released.

The process is straightforward, but not very simple, as several steps are involved. Assuming the box set is contained in a single folder:

3. still in the new folder, create a cue file pointing to the symlinks as tracks. Add appropriate metadata to the cue file.

4. (optional) add album art and supporting documentation for the original album in the new folder.

5. rescan

You now should be able access the tracks either way: as part of the box set or the original album, with appropriate art in each case. This works mostly the same whether you use the library or the music folder. However, there are two glitches. The first should be familiar to anyone using cue files: in the music folder, the symlinks are listed but cannot be played, but the cue file functions as a subdirectory. The cue file can be opened and individual tracks selected.

The other glitch appears when using the library: there is now an additional entry for the box set, which only lists the tracks from the original album. It also displays the thumbnail for the original album, so it should be easy to avoid. The correct entry for the box set should contain all tracks, including the ones in the original album.

Still a tedious process, but the end result is much more satisfactory than earlier attempts.
    Why not just have 2 copies of the files tagged as necessary? Storage is hardly an issue these days.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Why not just have 2 copies of the files tagged as necessary? Storage is hardly an issue these days.
    You suggested that a few pages back, and I acknowledged at the time that it was foolish of me to be offended by the inefficiency of that approach. It still is, and I still am.

But thanks for continuing to serve as a voice of sanity. It's helpful, even when rejected.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

5. rescan

If youĺre any good with scripting languages like bash or PowerShell or even Perl or Python, this should be pretty easy to automate.

You suggested that a few pages back, and I acknowledged at the time that it was foolish of me to be offended by the inefficiency of that approach. It still is, and I still am.

But thanks for continuing to serve as a voice of sanity. It's helpful, even when rejected.
    Looking at this another way your requirement is fulfilled partly by creating a specific playlist of the pseudo album.

Two things stop a playlist approach from working exactly as you would want.

1) Playlists do not appear in your Album list - but I imagine that if a simple flag existed against them they could be added if someone was prepared to modify the scanner code. It must be broadly how Online Music Library integration works?
    2) Playlist don't have specific cover art but could they?
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    If youĺre any good with scripting languages like bash or PowerShell or even Perl or Python, this should be pretty easy to automate.
    Indeed, I'm working on a Bash script that simplifies the process. If I'm every satisfied with it, I'll share it, in case anybody else is interested in this odd quest of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Looking at this another way your requirement is fulfilled partly by creating a specific playlist of the pseudo album.

Two things stop a playlist approach from working exactly as you would want.

1) Playlists do not appear in your Album list - but I imagine that if a simple flag existed against them they could be added if someone was prepared to modify the scanner code. It must be broadly how Online Music Library integration works?
    2) Playlist don't have specific cover art but could they?
    Thanks for being tolerant of my illogical obstinacy! If LMS could treat a playlist as an album, that would be the ideal solution. I don't have the knowledge or skill to address either of those points, so unless someone else takes that on, I'll continue to work on this odd quest of mine. I now have a Bash script that largely automates the process of creating symlinks and building the cue file, so it's not such a tedious undertaking.