Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How about a playlist for the compilation?
    It would be what TE wanted, if one could handle (some) playlists as virtual albums.

Coming clean

Thanks everyone for your contributions

This arose out of a request made by someone else on another forum who wanted to be able to have two albums appearing one the original album and the other being the reissue with the "extras". He wanted to be able to do so having simply ripped the reissue. He wondered whether you could have two separate albums appearing.
    In trying to solve the problem I noticed the note in the "my music" settings and then was driven to try it out. I was really annoyed when it didn't work and wanted to know whether this was just my error. This is why I didn't really want to get into the actual use case.

That said if there is an elegant solution, I would be delighted to pass it on.

One other suggested option was to use a playlist, but the OOP didn't want this unless the playlist would appear as an album. Is it possible to make a playlist appear as an album.

Quote Originally Posted by adamdea View Post
    One other suggested option was to use a playlist, but the OOP didn't want this unless the playlist would appear as an album. Is it possible to make a playlist appear as an album.
    *lol* wash me - but dont make me wet...

Quote Originally Posted by official M3U directive
    #EXTINF Track information, including runtime and title.
    #EXTINF:191,Artist Name - Track Title
    There is no way to add a album into an m3u.

Thanks everyone for your contributions

This arose out of a request made by someone else on another forum who wanted to be able to have two albums appearing one the original album and the other being the reissue with the "extras". He wanted to be able to do so having simply ripped the reissue. He wondered whether you could have two separate albums appearing.
    In trying to solve the problem I noticed the note in the "my music" settings and then was driven to try it out. I was really annoyed when it didn't work and wanted to know whether this was just my error. This is why I didn't really want to get into the actual use case.

That said if there is an elegant solution, I would be delighted to pass it on.

In your actual use case you could use one of these scenarios

Rip the reissue then

1. separate the tracks into two folders - one containing the "original" and the other the "extras" and retag however you wish
    or
    2. leave the tracks in one folder but retag the original album tracks with disc 1/2 and the extras as disc 2/2 and set LMS to display accordingly.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Actually I have just realised I have this scenario myself in a few instances

An example
    I have 2 copies of Faces - Long Player CD.
    One an early CD and the other a reissue / remaster with bonus tracks.
    I ripped both
    The first is tagged as "Long Player" the second as "Long Player +"
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I have all the Beatles Albums on CD and ripped them to my server, then years later I purchased the 24/96 remasters. So before loading the 24/96 albums to the server, I deleted the ripped Red Book CDs (why do I need them now that I have remasters in hires format?). This immediately prevents any search or tagging issues. I also bought the original Police Every Breath You Take hits CD, then they rereleased it remastered with additional material so again I deleted the original rip because it is a useless lesser copy.

Now for the ones that have the same name but are actually different, I use Album Title to stop any confusion. I rip with dBpowerAmp so when the display comes up before the actual rip, I edit the Album Name at that time so I don't have to go back in using a tag editor later. One example is the Guess Who that has two greatest hits albums with the same name but have different songs. So I added the Record Company to both Album Titles since they were different IE "Greatest Hits Buddah" and "Greatest Hits RCA". On same titled Albums from the same Record Label but have different songs (not a remaster with some bonus tracks added as that would just replace the original by deleting the original) but actual different songs, I put the release date in the Album Title as I have yet to ever find this situation where the Record Label released two identical titled albums from the same artist in the same year.

Just some thoughts on how I handle these issues.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    I have all the Beatles Albums on CD and ripped them to my server, then years later I purchased the 24/96 remasters. So before loading the 24/96 albums to the server, I deleted the ripped Red Book CDs (why do I need them now that I have remasters in hires format?). This immediately prevents any search or tagging issues. I also bought the original Police Every Breath You Take hits CD, then they rereleased it remastered with additional material so again I deleted the original rip because it is a useless lesser copy.
    I'd have kept both versions! In fact I have - as an example

Name:  2017-10-11 16_17_58-Logitech Media Server.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  21.0 KB

The (Vinyl) version is actually a 180g re-issue and needs to be re-tagged accordingly as I have a 70s copy on Vinyl as well which I will be adding shortly!!
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

[/OT]
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    I deleted the ripped Red Book CDs (why do I need them now that I have remasters in hires format?)
    The Beatles 2009 remasters have more bass and they are louder than the Red Book versions.
    So you didnt have the "same" Albums you have two (in my case 3 cause i still listen to the vinyl ones) different Versions.
    [\OT]

I tried this using a ; separator (as per the same entry) but it did not work. The album was listed with a slash (/) between the two title suggesting that on some level the separator was recognised, but it still only appears as one album in the list of albums.

what is going wrong here?
    I realize you've already gotten answers, but I'm curious if you're using Foobar2000 as your tagger. I've noticed that it silently changes tags to what it thinks is best for the file format. If I'm working with an MP3, want multiple values for the same tag and input "Value1; Value2" Foobar2000 will not write multiple tags with one value each, it will write a single tag with "Value1 / Value2". This is apparently because iTunes understands that single tag but doesn't understand multiple tags.

As for the use case of a single track belonging to multiple albums, my OCD says the mastering won't be identical so I'd have to keep both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    I realize you've already gotten answers, but I'm curious if you're using Foobar2000 as your tagger.
    I was using the tagger in dBpoweramp and I tried the same thing using // in mp3tag.