Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Running 2 different external DACs from the same Pi using piCorePlayer

I'm currently running piCorePlayer on a Pi 1 driving a Teddy Pardo USB DAC. It works perfectly & I've added the setup information on the working DACs page.
    I'd now like to add a 2nd (& different) DAC using the 2nd USB port on the Pi. I haven't bought the new DAC yet, but would like to know if piCorePlayer will support 2 external DACs concurrently. Perhaps the 2nd DAC will need different settings in piCorePlayer, but I can't see this is an option. Maybe it will work with the same settings...
    My other option is to buy a 2nd Pi for the new DAC.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Paul

To play a different stream, we assume...?

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    To play a different stream, we assume...?

No. The 2nd DAC will be dedicated to a headphone amp, so there will be only 1 stream. I figure I'd switch the first DAC to an input I don't use thus keeping the speakers quiet while I'm listening to my headphones.

Well, doesn't matter really you could call it a separate stream and leave the two virtual players permanently synced anyway. From what I recall to add a second audio output from PcP you would need to make changes at the shell prompt, I'm not sure there's configuration for that in the UI.

I am sure you could coax alsa in Linux to send the same stream to both DACs somehow too and have a single renderer send audio to both, but you would only gain a little network bandwidth and you may well lose in stability.

Last edited by drmatt; 2017-09-30 at 11:38.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Well, doesn't matter really you could call it a separate stream and leave the two virtual players permanently synced anyway. From what I recall to add a second audio output from PcP you would need to make changes at the shell prompt, I'm not sure there's configuration for that in the UI.

I am sure you could coax alsa in Linux to send the same stream to both DACs somehow too and have a single renderer send audio to both, but you would only gain a little network bandwidth and you may well lose in stability.

Thanks Matt.
    I haven't seen anything relevant in UI.
    I'm a complete dunce with Linux & wouldn't know where to start with a shell prompt. As for coaxing alsa in Linux......!
    I'll give it a try using the current USB feed from Pi to DAC #1 into DAC #2. I can mess around with settings in UI if required. If that works, I'll try both together. If that fails, I'll have to get another Pi, unless I can get advice on how & what to do at the shell prompt.
    I don't need anything sophisticated. Just the ability to drive 2 DACS (1 at a time) from the same Pi.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by muggo; 2017-09-30 at 12:30. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Thanks.
    I guess the first thing I have to do it u/g from 1.16 to 3.xx to get the extra functionality.
    Beyond backing up my working SD card first, is this a straightforward & automated u/g?

Fresh install on a fast card I reckon

+1 for fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by muggo View Post
    I'll give it a try using the current USB feed from Pi to DAC #1 into DAC #2. I can mess around with settings in UI if required. If that works, I'll try both together. If that fails, I'll have to get another Pi, unless I can get advice on how & what to do at the shell prompt.
    I don't need anything sophisticated. Just the ability to drive 2 DACS (1 at a time) from the same Pi.
    Cheers
    Paul
    The two DACs will not work together without explicit coding in the OS, they will be seen as totally separate devices even if you put them on the same hub. That's why your choices are either to
    a) configure a second virtual squeezebox player (aka squeezelite) that is explicitly configured to use the second sound device, or to
    b) hack the alsa sound drivers to create a virtual "bridged" sound device that actually sends audio data to both real devices underneath, and *then* configure your squeezelite process to talk to the virtual bridged driver instead of either of the physical drivers underneath..

Very much simpler to do the first option, and there's howtos such as the one linked above for you to follow too. As you say you can always buy another pi too, which may well give you more flexibility in the long term anyway. (Headphone amp nearer to sitting position, for example.)

--