Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I actually prefer to use Album Artist as the primary artist identification for the particular recording, and Artist (usually rendered as Track Artist in playback apps) for the primary individual contributors on tracks. In most but not all cases album and track artist are the same, but this arrangement allows for some flexibility and utility in search.

So, for Crystal Silence, the lovely old jazz duo recording involving Chick Corea on piano and Gary Burton on vibes, I have the album artist as "Chick Corea and Gary Burton". I have them both listed separately as Artists, which renders (in Squeeze Cntrl) as Track Artist (presumably reflecting LMS's handling).

This is both accurate and convenient, especially when a particular track has an artist featured who is not part of the overall album credits. For instance, the Willie Nelson album "American Classic" features a number of duets with various people, including Norah Jones on "Baby It's Cold Outside". I've got Willie as the album artist, and my primary app listing by "artist" is based on "album artist". The album shows him as the artist. Both Willie and Norah are listed as "track artist" for this track. I can search on Norah Jones and pull up all her own albums, as well as the tracks on which she is guesting.

I use MP3Tag for my tag management, although when ripping CDs I try to capture as much of my preferred tag structure as possible in the rip. Of course, what with downloadability of flacs ubiquitous, I don't do that much ripping anymore, so tag tweaking using MP3Tag is the usual route.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    semikolon works fine - never seen an Band/Artist with that char in the Name...
    Seems that your collection is a little light on 80s Belgian EBM/Industrial music...
    You need some └;Grumh...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/└;GRUMH...
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by andifor View Post
    It's easiest, if I do this with the ripper. Only one tool/UI and up to know, Max (on macOS) was perfect )
    The deeper you get into this hobby, the more often you experience "up to now" moments!

Something worth mentioning about ripping to flac with dbPoweramp:

If multiple artists, genres, etc are entered separated by "; " dbPoweramp will create separate tags for each artist, etc. (If ";" is used as a separator this does not happen - the whole field is treated as one tag.)

Incidentally, tests I have done indicate that you can use "; " as a separator in LMS - the scanner seems to strip out leading and trailing spaces. This makes the field a bit more readable, e.g. "Haitink; LSO" vs "Hatink;LSO".
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

LMS may strip out leading spaces in the web UI but ive experienced 2 instances of what looked like the same artist but really it was a space before one of them .
    Maybe it has some logik when using ; but i would not rely on that
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    LMS may strip out leading spaces in the web UI but ive experienced 2 instances of what looked like the same artist but really it was a space before one of them .
    Very odd.

I checked the effect of leading and trailing spaces in various circumstances and combinations (but I only tested flac files) by examining the "contributors" table in the Library.db database. In all the instances I tried the contributors table entries had no leading or trailing spaces. Where there was an existing artist in the table it didn't create a new entry with a leading space.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Ok try in the middle of a two part name then Miles Davis but with two spaces between miles and davis ? Maybe something done about it .

Btw in flac files i use separate tags for each artist . In some old mp3 it is a ;

And i find it necessary to do some tag adjusting after the rip i add musicbrains id when aviable and fiddle with some other things.

Comercial downloads , the tags are not ok as downloaded you often need to do something.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Ok try in the middle of a two part name then Miles Davis but with two spaces between miles and davis ? Maybe something done about it .

Btw in flac files i use separate tags for each artist . In some old mp3 it is a ;

And i find it necessary to do some tag adjusting after the rip i add musicbrains id when aviable and fiddle with some other things.

Comercial downloads , the tags are not ok as downloaded you often need to do something.
    I wouldn't expect the scanner to correct when extra spaces are inserted between two words when both form a single tag (e.g. Miles^^Davis, where each "^" represents a space). However, stripping leading and trailing spaces from user editable fields (i.e. tags) is sensible - and could be regarded as good practice.

I do agree about needing to edit tags after ripping or downloading files. Most of my collection is classical and almost always I have to do wholesale changes to the tagging. As you know mp3tag, with its many tools, is extremely good for that.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to convert the ";" method for multiple artists (or genres, etc) to separate tag fields in flac files - it would be very simple to do that with mp3tag by creating an Action.

I've had this happen too. But, I actually use / as my separator, and if the spaces are wrong, I can end up with some library confusion. By the way, I've not seen any consistency with this behavior, but then again, it rarely happens, and I usually clean it up right away.

With regard to multiple tags. I use / rather than multiple fields because other software has difficulty with multiple tags or the blend I have of MP3 and FLAC. I have about 35k tracks in my library, and only about 20k are in FLAC format, the rest are in MP3 (I'm in a long-term project of getting everything to FLAC format).

My longer term goal will be to replace the / in tracks so that they are in multiple tags, but I think I need other software to improve or I need to get everything into FLAC format (or perhaps ogg format for those I don't care enough to get out of MP3 since the tags are the same as FLAC).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I wouldn't expect the scanner to correct when extra spaces are inserted between two words when both form a single tag (e.g. Miles^^Davis, where each "^" represents a space). However, stripping leading and trailing spaces from user editable fields (i.e. tags) is sensible - and could be regarded as good practice.

I do agree about needing to edit tags after ripping or downloading files. Most of my collection is classical and almost always I have to do wholesale changes to the tagging. As you know mp3tag, with its many tools, is extremely good for that.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to convert the ";" method for multiple artists (or genres, etc) to separate tag fields in flac files - it would be very simple to do that with mp3tag by creating an Action.
    I'm not even sure you need an action. I would just replace all ";" with "\" (which is what MP3Tag uses as a separator when there are multiple entries for a field). Actually, perhaps one does need an action to do that, I don't recall off hand, but if you do it's the most basic needed.