Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No, LMS knows that the touch or squeezelite on the Pi can handle 24/96 and will send it that stream unaltered.
    The server knows all the squeezeboxes and what they can do and the more software based players actually report thier capacity to the server , for sample Squeezelite as it can run on anything but that hardware could have limits or one have configured Squeezelite in some way.

Caveat if you sync players ( play the same thing on all your players ) the least capable sets the limit .

Example I have two raspberry pi one with a DAC it plays 24/192 and LMS sees this and it works fine .

My other PI use a DIGi+ digital output to my Meridian gear , here Squeezelite is limited by a setting to 24/96 because that's the max for my meridian hifi .

LMS would see this to , then if I play a 24/192 file it transcodes down to 24/96 .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

No, LMS knows that the touch or squeezelite on the Pi can handle 24/96 and will send it that stream unaltered.
    Sorry, just to clarify, the Touch is hardware yes? So is the Pi? So how can the Touch be on the Pi?
    Do you mean that the squeeze server software can detect the capabilities of the player, and, in the case of the Touch, not do any transcoding? That would be perfect if so - the Touch is affordable second hand, and I don't have the money, time or confidence to build a Pi solution. So - buy myself a Touch and the problem goes away, right?

Damn - from what I read about the Touch, I could even sell the Cambradge Audio DACMagic I bought only last week!

RM
    Rocketman

Rocketman, Rocketman2 and now Rocketman3 too.
    [N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman3 View Post
    Sorry, just to clarify, the Touch is hardware yes? So is the Pi? So how can the Touch be on the Pi?
    (touch) or (squeezelite on the Pi)
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    (touch) or (squeezelite on the Pi)
    Yes. And note squeezelite is a software program that emulates a squeezebox hardware player. And yes, the LMS server recognizes the capabilities of the player and doesn't transcode if not needed (automatic).

Putting squeezelite on a Rasberry Pi these days is about a $30 or so proposition and there are threads with step by step instructions that an 8 year old could follow.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

LMS server recognizes the capabilities of the player and doesn't transcode if not needed (automatic).
    More explicitly, squeezelite tells LMS what the player is capable (e.g. codecs, supported samplerates) and these capabiltiies may be altered through configuration and/or due to a different build of Squeezelite. While it is usual for LMS to do resampling down to a player capability - it is possible for Squeezelite to be setup to downsample or upsample as the user wishes.

Putting squeezelite on a Rasberry Pi these days is about a $30 or so proposition and there are threads with step by step instructions that an 8 year old could follow.
    Damnit! I was toying with the idea of building a Rasperry Pi player but now I have to find an 8 year old to help me with it.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Damnit! I was toying with the idea of building a Rasperry Pi player but now I have to find an 8 year old to help me with it.

just grab the next one that comes along to sweep the chimm....in..nee

Name:  chimmney1399917438.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  29.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Haha! JohnB! I was going to make exactly that joke but you beat me to it!
    More seriously, thank you to each and every one of you for helping guide me through this sticky labyrinth. You're great guys and I sincerely appreciate you sharing your knowledge & experience with me. Cheers!

Rocketman.
    Rocketman

[N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

A cheaper solution still?

A footnote:

I might have cracked another way around this problem that will only cost a couple of quid! (that's about three dollars currently I think!).
    I have a Samsung 'smart' TV right next to my hi-fi. It can 'see' the LMS server over it's wired network connection. The TV has an audio optical out. See where I'm going with this?
    If (big huge IF) the LMS sees my Samsung TV and has any sort of understanding of it, then maybe (?) it will send my 24/96 recordings straight to it unmolested/un-downsampled, for me to take the Toslink feed from the TV to the DACMagic. If so, then I can get my hi-def music to play for the price of a 2 meter long Toslink cable - the ú2 I mentioned before.

I will report back on how I get on with this undertaking. If the LMS decides to downsample to the TV I can always use the Toslink cable to make a primitive noose and try to hang myself with it. No - that's not the attitude: I have faith!

Cheers

RM.
    Rocketman

You'll have to check with Samsung specs, maybe it will. But I wouldn't be surprised if the TV's optical out is limited to 24/48 (24/96 downsampled).