Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    A provocative title to counter all the "I will leave the Squeezebox Community" threads.
    I am really astonished how many people state in this forum that they leave the community and Switch to Sonos and other systems. I will stay with Squeezebox and actually I am buying used equipment for my friends to provide them with the best experience of music ever:
    in my personal opinion, the Squeezebox experience has never been as good and as cheap as it is now...
    ...I struggle to see the reason why people leave this community - nothing has changed, all is better than ever before...
    A special thanks to Michael Herger, Philippe, Erik and all the others who contribute to this community and make the Squeezebox experience better than ever...
    Hear, hear!!! +1

I've never been as satisfied with my home music system as I am now with my current setup running LMS on a Max2Play* distro on a Raspberry Pi 3, and with a Squeezebox Radio and Touch in almost every room!

The Squeezebox server is always on, with:
    -online streaming services, like Tidal, and my local music collection(and even my photos) on a NAS or harddrive connected to the RPi 3 easily available for playing at any time
    -most of the amazing original and 3rd party, old and new(still new ones under development) plugins working flawlessly
    -other 24/7 services running on and available from the same RPi 3, like DNS-rerouting, VPN-server, shared folders, web servers, Motion streaming WiFi cameras, home automation etc.
    -the server barely consuming any power, and only spinning up my NAS when I'm actually playing local music or cranking up my PC media server when I need to do heavy lifting like video transcoding or the Inguz EQ pluging or the like
    -The RPi 3 now and then doubles as RetroPie for playing old emulator games, Linux remote or local desktop, and can be used as a HiFi local Squeezebox player with HiFiBerry, or even a fully fledged media player and the like
    -In addition to music in most of my rooms, I have small screens displaying time, weather or random images from my private photo collection using the built in Image Viewer app and gruvi

I really hope that Tidal and other online streaming and radio services will continue to be supported in the future, even with changes in their APIs or regardless of what happens to mysqueezebox.com! The same with amazing other frequently used plugins and services like music and artist information, shairtunes, song lyrics, RSS-feeds and podcasts etc.!

For the future I really hope this community stays alive and keeps growing! More specifically, I'm hoping that factory made and complete quality players like the Radio and Touch are made commercially available again, and on my top wish list at the moment would be the return of the amazing functionality of the defunct Smart Mix plugin** for both local and online music sources, and an easily set up weather/time app based on yr.no.

Again, a special thanks to the primus motors on the Squeezebox community forum who keeps both the best audio community and the best music server/player ecosystem ever still alive and kicking!!

Vegz78

* I'm not starting a fanboy war here, the piCorePlayer, Vortexbox or other server/player distros and solutions are probably just as good.
    ** The LastMix plugin is good and used every day, but IMO sadly not quite as good as the Smart Mix was, Michael... ;-)

Smart people will stay with Squeezebox

I have to say that now that I've invested time to develop plugins, I'm amazed by the extension capabilities of LMS. It's really a shame that the line was discontinued. I don't think any other solution is barely as good as it. I like my Sonos speakers but I mostly use them through LMS now. At a point that I'm thinking of upgrading my plugin to manage Sonos grouping from the LMS UI directly. If I can find a way to do that with CC as well, il will do it for both - just for now CC do not publish how to create groups
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2018-01-09 at 00:50.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    At a point that I'm thinking of upgrading my plugin to manage Sonos grouping from the LMS UI directly.
    Any closer to getting sync working between Squeezeboxes and Sonos players, or UPnP players in general?

If so, it would be an even greater gift to the ecosystem and community!

Keep up and thank you for all your great work and contributions!

Vegard

ú350 for a Sonos Connect vs ú35 for an RiPi with Squeezebox.

No contest! Plus, the system does more (even if Sonos is good in some ways).

+1 Great Thread. I echo the thanks not only to the many contributors of their time and expertise, but to the entire community, because, if were not for this family, support could have dwindled.

My story. Despite the "junior member" (low number of posts, I'm more of a reader), I have put my years in, and my addiction has grown. I have owned, and loved audio gear and music since the mid seventies. LPs, a shot stint of 8-tracks, cassettes, then CD's. In 2009 I bought my first duet for the sole purpose of ripping my collection and ease of playback from my library. Pretty narrow objective as I found out...

..Then I discovered internet radio, including Radio Paradise, Pear, Fuzzy and Groovy, and many more....wow....it's probably 75% of my listening now.

...Then I started thinking of multi room capabilities, and that grew. I now have 5 receivers, 2 controllers, and of course an android app....

...I was intrigued by a touch for convenience and the audio improvement, I now have one of those in my main listening room....

...I retired a couple years ago (well, my company decided to buy my retirement ) and I bought a run down cabin/camp on a small lake in the woods in Northern New York to renovate. DSL was available (yes!). I didn't want a stack of gear ("roughing it"), so I bought my first boom, pretty beat up and "sticky". Wow, what a wonderful product and perfect for the setting. I then found a nicer Boom, bought that, and relegated the sticky boom to the garage/workshop at the camp. I can have something like Radio Paradise or Pearadio playing and my friends will say "where did you find this station!!!??? It's awesome!". Of course, they are used to FM stations.

...Back at home, I have always listened to squeezeplay while in the office. I realized I didn't have a Squeezebox Radio, so I thought I would try one, found one, bought it. What an excellent product for the desktop usage pattern. A hybrid of the radio UI and the boom audio would be a neat product. I can dream...

so, that's 5 receivers, 2 controllers, one touch, radio in one house, and 2 booms at the camp. Sound like I have an addiction? If so it's a fun one.

Only one Duet and one receiver bought through retail channels, the rest on the secondary market (ebay).

Not once have I ever thought of changing platforms, but I do pray that the hardware will stand up for many more years...

Again, thanks to all and long live the squeeze!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    Yes to all of the above. At the same time, I see the market a little differently. So I live in Chicago and have good relations with two high end audio consultants here called "Decibel" and "Audio Consultants" I too am frustrated with companies like Sonos and Apple and Spotify as they I feel are complicit with it being ok to listen to crappy quality music. Decibel is expanding it's services and Audio Consultant is consolidating. I don't think it's a coincidence that a short time after the move from CD's to digital music streaming, there's been an upsurge in vinyl. Even in crappy home systems, the vinyl sounds better. At the same time, much of the move also has to do with the listening experience -- reading a seeing the music and the artist. And people including me want convenience. The debate about the difference between the purist listener who doesn't care about metadata versus the convenience of digital media streaming is crap. It's the wrong debate to be having because it puts us at odds over the entire music experience. There is no one right way or wrong way to listen to music. We need to stop fighting about our turf and understand that the entire music experience is important: music source quality, ease of use, ease of access, how you listen to music, metadata, and how it sounds. And we have the technology to bring it all together. I spent a ton of time, effort and money to insure that my music sounds excellent within excess dollars. Everyone loves the sound of my place. At the same time, everyone loves the klarita Muso "Now Playing" screen that they see while listening to music.

If we want LMS to be around for a while, we gotta address this as a community and put away our 'elitist' turf wars. Companies like BlueSound and Roonlabs will be eating LMS's lunch in two - five years if we don't.
    The world is collapsing. All the insiders are panicking and trying to corner customers to extract maximum revenue. Inflation numbers are a lie. Subscription cars? Panic!

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Here's a nice pre-built option. Once piCorePlayer has been written to the SD card, this is a "plug-and-play" Squeezebox. At $275 shipped it's twice the price of doing it yourself, but you get a nice case with power button and what appear to be quality parts:
    AUDIOPHONICS RASPDAC LTE I-SABRE V3 - STREAMER RASPBERRY PI & DAC TCXO
    Is a separate server still required to use these devices, or can I just connect an external hard drive to it and play the tracks? Can it be controlled with iPeng or Harmony remote? I'm interested in something like this to replace my SB3. Bluesound Node 2 didn't cut it for me, and I'm returning it. Thanks.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Anywhere Else As Needed: Logitech Boom
    Router: Asus RT-N56U

I use a usb hard drive & it works great

I bought mine at

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundl...y-digi-bundle/

then installed piCoreplayer on the card and was up & running in no time. Definitely the way to go. piCoreplayer has LMS install as an option. Max2Play is good too.
    (1) Pi 3 w/ HifiBerry Digi + Pro & piCorePlayer 3.5.0 LMS 7.9.1, (1) Touch, (1) Transporter, Samba w/ 2 TB USB Drive for files

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    Is a separate server still required to use these devices, or can I just connect an external hard drive to it and play the tracks? Can it be controlled with iPeng or Harmony remote? I'm interested in something like this to replace my SB3. Bluesound Node 2 didn't cut it for me, and I'm returning it. Thanks.
    As said above, the Raspberry Pi can be configured to be both a player and a server; just attach your external drive with music. I'd recommend an external drive that has its own power supply. The RPi can be controlled in the same ways as any other Squeezebox device. The base RPi3 has on-board wireless and can output digital on either USB or HDMI. If you want coax/optical S/PDIF or quality analog out, you need an add-on board (HiFiBerry, Allo, or others). If your SB3 is still working, not sure what you gain though.

Thanks for the response.

Not sure if my SB3 still works. It went down two days before Christmas, maybe due to a Windows 10 update, maybe something else. I didn't have the time or the will to troubleshoot it.

I always wanted to get away from a separate server for a lot of reasons (updates being one)and I thought the Node 2 might do that, but when I got it, I found out that the direct USB function was limited, and they suggested that I connect the drive to my router instead. That also was problematic, and Bluesound support is only available when I'm working. Again time and will ran out. It's expensive, but I would have kept the Node if it worked out of the box, but it didn't.

I know that patience can be eventually rewarded by Squeezeboxen, so I may try and get the SB3 back on line, or buy something preassembled, or go the DIY route. Not sure yet.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Anywhere Else As Needed: Logitech Boom
    Router: Asus RT-N56U