Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

questions for a most basic portable squeezebox using PiCorePlayer and Pi Zero W

Hi;
    I would like to build a very basic DIY headless portable Squeezebox with piCorePlayer using a Pi Zero W.
    I will have 2 use cases:
    1) At home - where it should connect to my standalone LMS
    2) While traveling - where it should run with an internal LMS - only for the purpose of providing access to Internet Radio and Spotify via Michaels Spotty plugin. No further local music access is needed.

The questions I have:
    - Will a Pi Zero W have enough steam to power an LMS - for the above (limited) purpose?
    - A Question for the pCP-Gurus:
    I want to use the most basic / cheap audio output - using PWM output and a h/w low pass filter (similar as the audio jack output on the 'bigger' Pi's - which is not available on the Pi Zero):
    So, on the Pi Zero, we don't have PWM0 (pin #40) and PWM1 (pin #45) available on the PCB - which are the pins for the Audio jack on the big Pi's.
    -> How can I get these PWM signals assigned to available pins on the Pi Zero using PcP?
    (Since - as I understand it - Audio out is set per default to audio jack output - also on the Pi Zero)
    Last edited by slimhase; 2017-08-26 at 04:04.
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops

I appreciate your desire for minimal but wouldn't a Pi3 be a better option? Ok it's bigger but has the audio out, has multiple USB and a LAN and will definitely run LMS in the mode you have suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Hi;
    I would like to build a very basic DIY headless portable Squeezebox with piCorePlayer using a Pi Zero W.
    I will have 2 use cases:
    2) While traveling - where it should run with an internal LMS - only for the purpose of providing access to Internet Radio and Spotify via Michaels Spotty plugin. No further local music access is needed.

The questions I have:
    - Will a Pi Zero W have enough steam to power an LMS - for the above (limited) purpose?
    I want to use the most basic / cheap audio output - using PWM output and a h/w low pass filter (similar as the audio jack output on the 'bigger' Pi's - which is not available on the Pi Zero):
    So, on the Pi Zero, we don't have PWM0 (pin #40) and PWM1 (pin #45) available on the PCB - which are the pins for the Audio jack on the big Pi's.
    -> How can I get these PWM signals assigned to available pins on the Pi Zero using PcP?
    (Since - as I understand it - Audio out is set per default to audio jack output - also on the Pi Zero)
    This won't help unless you can figure out how to modify pCP to reassign pins (it requires a device tree overlay) but it shows a simple low pass circuit to do what you are suggesting: https://learn.adafruit.com/introduci.../audio-outputs. There is a pointer to the Raspberry Pi forums where you can get the overlay software to try.

I am about to try LMS on a Zero with an Allo Mini Boss DAC. I am guessing that as long as the stream is local the Zero can handle the load.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I appreciate your desire for minimal but wouldn't a Pi3 be a better option? Ok it's bigger but has the audio out, has multiple USB and a LAN and will definitely run LMS in the mode you have suggested.

PS when travelling how are you going to get the Pi onto whatever wifi is available?

Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Battery issues

I think the question about power consumption is important for a portable (battery powered) player. The Pi 3 consumes about 4 times as much current as the Zero. People have reported getting the Zero down to under 80 mA. Of course there are many factors, like what the software is doing, what's plugged in, and what's disabled (shutting off HDMI is an obvious optimization which you can do in the piCorePlayer UI).

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    I think the question about power consumption is important for a portable (battery powered) player. The Pi 3 consumes about 4 times as much current as the Zero. People have reported getting the Zero down to under 80 mA. Of course there are many factors, like what the software is doing, what's plugged in, and what's disabled (shutting off HDMI is an obvious optimization which you can do in the piCorePlayer UI).
    Ok but how will you get the Pi onto wifi when travelling? You aren't going to lug around a monitor and keyboard are you so I guess you must be planning to use it with your phone and it's hotspot in which case why not just use TuneIn & Spotify on the phone?

Dining Room -> SB Boom

Ok but how will you get the Pi onto wifi when travelling? You aren't going to lug around a monitor and keyboard are you so I guess you must be planning to use it with your phone and it's hotspot in which case why not just use TuneIn & Spotify on the phone?

Valid point - I did not read the original post carefully enough; if you have a local LMS with some music stored locally on a USB drive or the SD card, it would make more sense as a portable player (take your music with you). Otherwise, a smartphone does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Hi;
    I will have 2 use cases:

The questions I have:
    Why not just install Ipeng (on Iphone) or Oransqueeze (on Android) and use phone output

At home connect phone via wifi to LMS

While travelling connect via 3G or Wifi via OpenVPN (or another VPN) to LMS at home
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2017-08-26 at 09:41.
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Why not just install Ipeng (on Iphone) or Oransqueeze (on Android) and use phone output

At home connect phone via wifi to LMS

While travelling connect via 3G or Wifi via OpenVPN (or another VPN) to LMS at home
    Yep.
    That's exactly what I do.

Dining Room -> SB Boom

Thanks for all the replies.
    Why do I want to did it (and not use a phone)?
    -> I just like the idea of a portable DIY Squeezebox - and was inspired by pippins Tivoli Squeezebox in the DIY section -> Even the creator of ipeng does not rely on ipeng all the time :-)
    So I bought a Tivoli PAL secondhand, where I want to fit everything in - thats why a Zero is needed and no external DAC, only a simple low pass like in the Adafruit tutorial
    (I have a Tivoli One in the kitchen - fed by a Squeezebox - which sounds great. Thats why I would like to use a Tivoli setup)

Now back to my questions:
    Enough steam on the Pi Zero for using Spotty? I guess I just have to try it.... and wait for wtnh's feedback on his setup!
    WRT PWM pins - I need to see, if I get anywhere with the suggested (thanks, wtnh!) overlay software - and if I get that running on pCP.

Finally the changing WLAN setup: Hmmm - I have to admit: I did not think that through completely....
    But mostly, I want to use it in our vacation house when not at home.
    So I need to 'only' toggle between 2 WLAN setups. Maybe that can be done with some sort of logic in the boot process? Maybe via newconfig.cfg?

I will report back once my Zero and the Tivoli Pal arrive in the mail....
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops