Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hypothesis / fix

Setup (2 x RPi3):
    • A: LMS + piCorePlayer
    • B: solo piCorePlayer
    • Music files on NAS

Behaviours:
    1) Sync B to A: Sync error occurs within first minute
    2) Sync A to B: No sync error occurs (within 20+ tracks)

So syncing from LMS+player to solo player seems to fix problem.

Open question: Why does sync-direction fix sync-problem?

Disclaimer: I have not tested thoroughly, I will report back if fix keeps working over the next weeks.
    --
    Niels Koldsø | linked-in

I seem to have just started having this problem as well. Seems to be isolated to Spotty, and not any of the other services so far. Been going on for a few weeks for me.

• The time-to-issue changes. Sometimes it's about 10 seconds or so right in the beginning of a session. Other times slightly less, other times slightly more.
    • At other times, I notice the music is stopped after a long period of play, like, if I come back in after some time away, and have left the system playing.
    • I look at the LMS control on the computer, and it shows the track progress bar and the time advancing, then drops back, advances again, then drops back.
    • I think I've seen on one of the Squeezebox players, "Waiting for sync".
    • I am using a combination of Squeezebox players, piCorePlayer, and LMS running on a home PC.
    • Players are Wifi connected with 95% or better signal strength.
    • I've tried the unsynch-resynch trick, as that has helped hiccups in the past, but not in this case this time.
    • I seem to be able to correct the issue by powering down one of the SBTs - the same one. If I bring it back in to a playing stream, the stream will stop again at some point.

VERSIONS
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1557815622

Player Model: SqueezeLite
    Player Type: squeezelite
    Firmware: v1.9.0-1121-pCP

Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
    Player Type: fab4
    Firmware: 7.8.0-r16754

Edit: add video

Edit: add update
    It just happened again, so it's not tied to that one player.
    Turned off another Squeezebox player in the sync list and restarted the track, and it's playing again.
    Last edited by msg; 2019-05-19 at 11:17. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    I seem to have just started having this problem as well. Seems to be isolated to Spotty, and not any of the other services so far. Been going on for a few weeks for me.

• The time-to-issue changes. Sometimes it's about 10 seconds or so right in the beginning of a session. Other times slightly less, other times slightly more.
    • At other times, I notice the music is stopped after a long period of play, like, if I come back in after some time away, and have left the system playing.
    • I look at the LMS control on the computer, and it shows the track progress bar and the time advancing, then drops back, advances again, then drops back.
    • I think I've seen on one of the Squeezebox players, "Waiting for sync".
    • I am using a combination of Squeezebox players, piCorePlayer, and LMS running on a home PC.
    • Players are Wifi connected with 95% or better signal strength.
    • I've tried the unsynch-resynch trick, as that has helped hiccups in the past, but not in this case this time.
    • I seem to be able to correct the issue by powering down one of the SBTs - the same one. If I bring it back in to a playing stream, the stream will stop again at some point.

VERSIONS
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1557815622

Player Model: SqueezeLite
    Player Type: squeezelite
    Firmware: v1.9.0-1121-pCP

Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
    Player Type: fab4
    Firmware: 7.8.0-r16754

Edit: add video

Edit: add update
    It just happened again, so it's not tied to that one player.
    Turned off another Squeezebox player in the sync list and restarted the track, and it's playing again.
    A recent Spotty update added direct Ogg streaming. Not all player types will accept Ogg with the result that LMS will transcode accordingly.
    Iirc some people reported issues with pCP and Ogg.
    You can sync mixed player types but I’m not sure what happens when transcoding is required for one player or whether a sync group gets the lowest common transcoded codec? If it’s the former it must have some detrimental effect.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

It affects other devices as well, we've not got to the bottom as to what it doesn't like about OGG, it's best to just disable ogg in spotty.,
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    A recent Spotty update added direct Ogg streaming. Not all player types will accept Ogg with the result that LMS will transcode accordingly.
    Iirc some people reported issues with pCP and Ogg.
    You can sync mixed player types but I’m not sure what happens when transcoding is required for one player or whether a sync group gets the lowest common transcoded codec? If it’s the former it must have some detrimental effect.
    Ah, interesting, and makes sense.
    I did notice that the stream seemed more reliable if I powered down the RPi piCorePlayers when using Spotty.
    Love these piCorePlayers, though, and they've become permanent members of my sync group, and work flawlessy for me synced with SBTs for all other services.

I just updated yesterday to Spotty v2.8.3, and it seemed to fix the music-stop issue. I have noticed a couple of hiccups this morning, but not like it was before, and it could be due to bringing pCPs in and out of the sync group for testing. Still monitoring.

I notice that if I stream Spotify over the sync group with a piCorePlayer active, the stream doesn't show (Converted to FLAC) anymore at the higher bitrate. It's now back to the 320k VBR. I missed the explanation of the conversion to .flac, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

Spotty without piCorePlayer active in sync group
    Name:  spotty_without-picoreplayer.png
Views: 133
Size:  10.2 KB

Spotty wiht piCorePlayer active in sync group
    Name:  spotty_with-picoreplayer.png
Views: 134
Size:  9.8 KB

There was fix added to squeezelite 1.9.2-1157 for skipping spotty ogg tracks which is included in picoreplayer 5.0.x
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Reporting back that I updated to piCorePlayer 5.0.1 last weekend and this issue with Spotty seems to be mostly resolved here.
    Good work and thanks for all the developers' efforts across the board in keeping this platform alive. Certainly worthy of donation.
    Last edited by msg; 2019-06-27 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    Reporting back that I updated to piCorePlayer 5.0.1 last weekend and this issue with Spotty seems to be mostly resolved here.
    Good work and thanks for all the developers' efforts across the board in keeping this platform alive. Certainly worthy of donation.
    I had this same issue a couple of months back but with all sources local and streamed. The fix was to make sure a players had same software versions and patches installed.

Ditto to thanking the developers for such a great alternative to other $$$$ options out there.