Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrClive
    • Jul 2011

Installing Max2Play and Spotty on a SD card for the technically challenged

As a numpty I managed to blunder through burning the latest version of max2play onto an sd card and installing it on Raspberry PI2 to run LMS for my SB Boom and Touch.

This is how I did this.

I’m sure there are easier ways would appreciate any pointers or advise on anything I could do better or didn’t need to do. All feedback / advice welcome would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------
    Prior to this I’ve downloaded the following onto my laptop (other software is available that does similar things).

7-zip (to extract the download file) http://www.7-zip.org/
    Win32DiskImager (which takes the extracted Image file and burns it onto the SD) https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
    SD Formatter (in case your need to re-format the sddisk if everything goes wrong) http://download.cnet.com/SD-Formatte...-75883295.html

----------------------------

Installing Max2play
    I downloaded the lastest Max2play image for the raspberry PI from the below.

Opened 7-Zip, and extracted the image file from the Max2Play file that I’d just downloaded.
    Inserted SD card into the laptop
    Opened Win32DiskImager selected the folder that the Max2play image was in, madding sure that the correct drive for the SD card was selected and clicked on “Write”.
    Once complete I removed the SD card and inserted it in the Raspberry PI.
    I connected the Raspberry PI my router via an Ethernet Cable, then plugged the power socket into the Raspberry PI. After a few moments you should get the lights come on the PI and on the Ethernet connection.
    On the lap top type in http://max2play/ into the URL bar and enter. A graphical user interface will appear.
    I then pretty much followed the max2play guide https://www.max2play.com/en/wiki/starter-guide/

I only did the below two stages from the guide which was:-
    •Click on the menu tab Settings/Reboot. There, fill out the boxes for the email address (used during your purchase of the bundles) and a specific name for your device (e.g. “Living Room”; “Kitchen”; “Bath Room”)

•Now click on the Button Expand Filesystem. After this it is important to reboot the system.

I then clicked on to the Squeezebox server tab and Clicked on Open

Squeezebox Sever Webadministration

Clicked on Settings (bottom right)
    Clicked on the Plugins Tab
    Ticked the box to enable Spotty from the list
    Disabled all other Spotify plugins
    Applied and then restarted the LMS server.

Went back to Squeezebox Sever Webadministration .

The plugin tab and found the Spotty plugin in the list and went along to the setting section on the right hand side at the end.

Followed the instructions for Spotify authorisation and it was up and running.

Any recommended changes/ additions / feedback or better ways of doing this welcome
    -----------------------/--
    Feedback

Max2Play also offer the below guides that are probably better laid out than the guides.

Burning Max2Play to an SD card

Please note: We use the open-source program Win32Disk-Imager simply for illustrating the steps in this article. You may, however, use any other software (e.g. Etcher) to burn the image file onto your memory card, but please remember that in this case these instructions are not necessarily applicable in every detail. Step 1: Download the Max2Play image

Installing Spotty guide.

Last edited by MrClive; 2017-07-30, 10:18.
  • Man in a van
    • Jan 2011

See Clive, it's just like ER, "see one, do one, teach one"

I believe the new version of Max2play auto expands the sd card on install.

Another burner is "Etcher", available for Mac, Windows and, I think, Linux

Win32 will also do backups as well

I also use

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/ (from the old Squeezeplug days)

which does read and write and there is a handy file to just flash the boot partition

Empty bootsector

Use this empty bootsector if you want to reformat your device when you have written multiple partitions on you flash drive and Windows doesn’t recognize the full device size anymore. Just restore it in device mode. With version 1.60 this feature is included (Reset-Button).

Hope you and yours are well

Ronnie

Comment

• MrClive
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Man in a van
      See Clive, it's just like ER, "see one, do one, teach one"

I believe the new version of Max2play auto expands the sd card on install.

Another burner is "Etcher", available for Mac, Windows and, I think, Linux

Win32 will also do backups as well

I also use

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/ (from the old Squeezeplug days)

which does read and write and there is a handy file to just flash the boot partition

Hope you and yours are well

Ronnie
      Cheers Ronnie

That will explain why the update took forever.....because it didn't need it.

I lost the preset buttons on Boom, which I didn't figure on (the wife uses them, I use favourites). Is there any easy way to configure these? Or is it just hold down the buttons manually?

All good here Ronnie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Man in a van
        • Jan 2011

Clive, there might a slightly quicker method, but I always like to tune to the station and then assign the button.

Glad all is well

Ronnie

Comment

• garym
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Man in a van
          Clive, there might a slightly quicker method, but I always like to tune to the station and then assign the button.

Glad all is well

Ronnie
          yes, tune to station, play it. then press and hold the button you want to assign. It tells you on screen that it has happened.
          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
          Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
          The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
          Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Giza2020
            • Feb 2010

as you mentioned it's for the technically challenged they might also be a bit nervous abouy something is going wrong, so I would point out that some of these actions can take a while, the PI can appear unresponsive and the LMS web UI can take a while to load after the max2play UI says it has started.

basically if you think it's not working, make a coffee and give it a chance ;-)

Comment

• Max2Play
              • Oct 2016

Hi guys,

We also have HowTo articles both for

Burning a Max2Play image (using WinDisk)

and for

The new Spotty plugin implementation by MHerger

Comment

• ChaoticMike
                • May 2008

It works...!

Thank you, wonderful SB community. After a week without Spotify, 15 minutes with a new Raspberry Pi and the instructions in the first post and I was back up and running! I have *no idea* what the other components running on the Pi that *aren't* squeezebox/LMS related, but I don't care. Once again I can stagger drunkenly around my house with synchronised music popping out of the woodwork.

Again, thanks. I'm now off to Michael Herger's page to give a swift donation...

Mike

Comment

• MrClive
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Max2Play
                  Hi guys,

We also have HowTo articles both for

Burning a Max2Play image (using WinDisk)

and for

The new Spotty plugin implementation by MHerger
                  Thanks for these I'll add these to the original post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...