Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Compilation and Best Of Albums.

I'm one of those OCD people that when I like an artist I normally buy all their albums including "Best of" or "Hits" etc and I also have a lot of compilation albums that include songs from these albums (although some are single/extended versions) Now the OCD in me hates having duplicate files so I'm wondering which is the best solution;

1. Rip the original albums and create playlists for the Best of and compilations. My issue with this is the compilation may have a song or two that I don't have the original album for so I'd have to do a partial rip to have those songs.

2. Rip the original albums and the songs from the compilations I need and create symlinks in the best of and compilation folders to the files from the original albums.

3. Ignore my issues and rip all the albums and be done with it.

Has anyone else out there dealt with this?

I am OCD in this way but I opted for 3.

I justified it one the basis they could be from different masters !
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

PS I also have rips from vinyl where I also have tips from CD. In that case the album title is denoted by Title (Vinyl). They do sound different.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

it depends...

in general i hate dupes... but only EXACT dupes. and even then if its a dupe on e.g. a soundtrack, i hate to remove it from the soundtrack just b/c i have it elsewhere.

i came across a few ABBA comps, and i ripped them in full. i'm not a big ABBA fan tho so i went thru and listened to all the dupes and only kept the one i considered "best." totally subjective and not too serious...

but with another band i respect more, i would be loathe to do that. and without proper audio fingerprinting its hard to know what really is a dupe.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaGreyBeard View Post
    I'm one of those OCD people that when I like an artist I normally buy all their albums including "Best of" or "Hits" etc and I also have a lot of compilation albums that include songs from these albums (although some are single/extended versions) Now the OCD in me hates having duplicate files so I'm wondering which is the best solution;

1. Rip the original albums and create playlists for the Best of and compilations. My issue with this is the compilation may have a song or two that I don't have the original album for so I'd have to do a partial rip to have those songs.

2. Rip the original albums and the songs from the compilations I need and create symlinks in the best of and compilation folders to the files from the original albums.

3. Ignore my issues and rip all the albums and be done with it.

Has anyone else out there dealt with this?
    Good post, I have spent a lot of time agonizing on this for years.

I use a variant of 2, as I delete the duplicate on the best of compilation, keeping the original album intact. I also scan the back of the albums so the track list is available to view through the excellent Music Information plugin, so if a "best of" is only 3 tracks long it is easy to view the tracklist and see why.

I rationalise this based on the way I listen to music which is Spicefly Sugar Cube using MIP to keep the music playing after a "seed" album or song has played.

As BJW pointed out "without proper audio fingerprinting its hard to know what really is a dupe" so first pass is using MIP to identify dupes, then (again using MIP but this time the GUI) for an artist, list the tracks in title order and delete duplicate titles with a length within a few seconds but keep the live versions. Sometimes I will keep the extended version and delete shorter versions.
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

I would do (3). Storage (in my case) is cheap, and having a different organisation mechanism (playlists) for compilations adds complexity. Furthermore, and most importantly, a recording on a compilation is not necessarily the same as a recording in a compilation which slightly different track lengths which can break things like metadata lookup... so overall I find (3) easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by elstensoftware View Post
    I would do (3). Storage (in my case) is cheap, and having a different organisation mechanism (playlists) for compilations adds complexity. Furthermore, and most importantly, a recording on a compilation is not necessarily the same as a recording in a compilation which slightly different track lengths which can break things like metadata lookup... so overall I find (3) easiest.
    +1
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave

I rip all my CDs and keep them all (digitally and the actual CDs). A compilation album is an album that I want to be complete even if it contains tracks on other CDs. This could be because the CD is a movie soundtrack, a best of, etc. Then again, I'm the type of person that may have the same complete album repeated (e.g., the original CD from the 1980s, a remastered CD, a re-remastered CD, a mono version, a 50th Anniversary box set version with additional tracks. Wow, how many versions of the Beach Boy's "Pet Sounds" or "Derek and the Dominos" do I have????
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch> Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1>Squeezelite
    Wilderness: PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

It's hard to see a good reason not to just rip all the separate units separately. As noted, sometimes best-ofs or other compilations have tracks that aren't identical to the originals, usually for worse but sometimes for better. Best to keep them separate. The total amount of additional storage is unlikely to be significant these days, and would pale beside the effort needed to sort things out in a different way.

My own brand of OCD is more completist in nature -- NOT ripping all those things separately would feel like a failing.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

its funny, b/c just deciding what to rip, or not, is itself a rather subjective decision, and kinda defeats the idea that one can have a perfect system with clear black and white rules you can apply to everything. i have basically just resigned myself to following "what do i feel like keeping at the moment" with an unfortunate deference to not being efficient the more highly i regard the artist, which results in bloat and dupes that i do detest.

so my guess is there are a lot of Simon and Garfunkel fans here. i have original CD issues on their complete works box set. it is hissy, noisy, and static filled. it is also bright and full of headroom and has a warm, booming AM radio sound i love! i GREATLY prefer these noisy versions, to the remasters, some of which i also have ripped, which while vastly cleaned up by comparison, just sound and feel "dead" to me. (its not volume bias, i use RG on everything)

but its not always that way. i think the Beatle remasters actually sound better than the orig CD issues. i don't think the difference is as stark and clear as the S&G ones, but its still there. so i don't always prefer originals or remasters, its simply subjective on a case by case basis. ...but i highly regard both artists, so i am loathe to get rid of any tracks; the exception is if some given version just "offends" me in how it sounds, but thats not too often.

(generally speaking, i would say i prefer late 90s, early 2000s remasters, to either orig releases or newer remasters. in general, that era is pretty well cleaned up, but not overly compressed. RG values provide a good clue to that)

this all gets more complicated as given tracks show up on soundtracks and greatest hits or comps of whatever type, like "Time Life" ones or what not.

and the older it is, u start to run into the same thing, but the Left and Right channels are swapped, or mono vs stereo, and on and on. slight differences, maybe in time, compression level, etc.

sometimes i will take a dupe (or near dupe) that i want to maintain a copy of, but out of random playback, and stick it in a separate archive subfolder that isn't in the music subfolder that random playback draws from; but sometimes i leave it in, just another subjective choice.

a feature of radio station automation, is "rotations" where for scheduling purposes a group of tracks are considered one track. so say you have 4 versions of an Ad. they all are about 30secs, so these 4 are listed as 1000A, 1000B, 1000C, and 1000D. then each time 1000 is scheduled, the automation knows to progress A -> D in order and then go back to A. you can have as many rotations as you want, but you want the differing versions to really not be more than a few seconds different in length, b/c only the A versions length is considered by the scheduler, (and keeping time in a radio station is fairly important).

it would be cool if we could classify dupes in a similar fashion, and have the choice of either cycling thru them, OR just being able to prefer one for playback when any of them are called upon. in a personal listeing situation, length [differences] isn't as important, if at all. a third option would be marking something as a dupe that nevertheless is to always be skipped. (these 3 modes / options could be tagged somehow, and useful esp in random mix playbacks)

this is all a really long winded way of saying what i said in my previous post. in scenarios where i respect the artist more, i error toward keeping more, hated dupes be damned. that doesn't mean all dupes are kept tho. and it would be cool if personal software had better playback management, and detection, of dupes.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations