Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

has anyone tried piCorePlayer with a MAX98357A?

This is an I2S DAC/amplifier used in the Pimoroni speaker pHAT and some adafruit boards
    A redundant surround speaker with a pi zero w and one of these could make a very easy portable squeezebox.
    piCorePlayer works very well on my existing pi system and the easy on/off would help save battery power.

Ian H

Quote Originally Posted by IanH99 View Post
    This is an I2S DAC/amplifier used in the Pimoroni speaker pHAT and some adafruit boards
    A redundant surround speaker with a pi zero w and one of these could make a very easy portable squeezebox.
    piCorePlayer works very well on my existing pi system and the easy on/off would help save battery power.

Ian H
    Yes I have had it running on Rasbian Jessie driving a 3" speaker and it works very well install via the Pimoroni script.
    I have tried to get the phat going with piCore / piCoreplayer but have come to a dead end at the moment.

A problem with Jessie is that I have no way of shutting the player down, it's portable and running from a geekworm ups hat, the power button for this is just that, no OS shutdown. Tinycore would be great here but i just can't get it to work.

Update

Working; piCoreplayer 3.21 Audio,Hifiberry zero dac selected, Geekworm UPS hat, Visaton FRS8M 3" speaker, 125mm PVC 45deg elbow soil pipe as cabinet.
    I wanted to call it Pootube but management veto, so it's bluetube on the network!

Photo?

First flush ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Photo?
    Name:  20170724_085010.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  243.3 KB

Cool. It really is a blue tube!

Quote Originally Posted by strebor56 View Post
    Working; piCoreplayer 3.21 Audio,Hifiberry zero dac selected, Geekworm UPS hat, Visaton FRS8M 3" speaker, 125mm PVC 45deg elbow soil pipe as cabinet.
    I wanted to call it Pootube but management veto, so it's bluetube on the network!
    Thanks, and it is probably best to agree with the management
    And the photo looks much better than the description
    I'm hoping to hide everything inside a small speaker enclosure, so no one will see my dodgy DIY skills

Ian H

Phat beat similarly supported ?

Hi all,

I discovered the Phat Beat from Pimoroni, and it has 2 of these dac/amps.
    Would it be safe to assume this board is also compatible with picoreplayer as it is driven through the almost generic Hifiberry zero dac driver ?

This Phat Beat is stereo, and uses 2 separate dacs, any problems to be expected from that ?

Regards , M-H

Quote Originally Posted by strebor56 View Post
    Superb - looks good in the picture, you should be able to get a PVC waste blanking plate or plug to use instead of the wooden speaker mount.

Also you should definitely go with pootube - really made me laugh and so apt!

Kev
    Last edited by KeBul; 2017-12-09 at 05:19.

dual MAX98357A dac+amp in PCP

As an answer to my own question: Yes it works and outputs stereo at modest power levels

The "phat beat" setup in PCP is simple ;
    1) Verify the switch on the board is set to stereo ( icon with 2 speakers ) and connect it to you pi ( zero )
    2) Select generic /simple Ti5102 DAC on the squeezelite settings page
    3) enjoy.

To minimise soldering look here https://pinout.xyz/pinout/phat_beat
    Solder at least 1 ground pin.

Remember the buttons and leds are not supported in stock PCP , but we will find a way to do so.

Greetz M-H