Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

New install method

Greg,
    In a break from watching the cricket I noticed your latest post.

On OneDrive I found a readme.txt, a certificate and two Install Appx Package instructions but no appx package.
    Hopefully once you load the appx I will be able to test on a Win 10 box.
    Could you still make the .exe available for other versions of Windows.

Your explanation of the logic of your implementation of WOL is how I expected it to be. Anyone running a server on a different subnet will presumably have the understanding and ability to set the Subnet mask correctly.
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

My comment about making WOL optional was because power state changes on servers should be things that happen deliberately not accidentally. Sending WOL is a policy decision that a system administrator should have made a conscious effort to enable, nothing should be sending WOL packets just for kicks, particularly not a small client package that might sit unobtrusively in a random user's tray for weeks on end without any contact.

( And for Wirunna there is an .exe file in the parent folder of the "Windows 10" folder that runs on both windows 10 and other versions of Windows.)

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

I appreciate this may not be possible, but I`m going to ask, just in case.....

Could this implementation support Windows 10 background audio, so that playback would continue when the device is in connected standby?

Looping display of "Loading Logitech Media Server"

On my Win 8.1 64bit laptop I removed Squeezelite-X and installed 0.9.44.0 64bit. LMS was running on a VortexBox and displayed on the web gui on Chrome.

Squeezelite-X configuration seemed OK, then click on the LMS icon and the gui appeared to loop furiously displaying "Loading Logitech Media Server" without completing the display. It appeared to be looping through the various various players on my LAN.

I suspect strongly that the problem is with a recent Windows update.

Anyone got any ideas?

Greg, you said in an earlier post that you had improved logging, I couldn't find it, where is the log file stored?

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Looping display of "Loading Logitech Media Server" when running on 2 PCs

This morning I turned on my Win 8.1 laptop, right clicked the Squeezelite-X desktop icon which started Squeezelite-X.
    Then right click the system tray Squeezelite-X icon and select "Open" and the app opened the screen display (but didn't WOL the Vortexbox).

The display was stable.

I then used WakeMeOnLan to WOL the Vortexbox.

Once the Vortexbox was up Squeezelite-X displayed the gui and was playing so I checked that the config showed the WOL box was ticked, and applied the settings again.

I then used the Server Power Control plugin to shutdown the server and closed the Squeezelite-X app.

Then when the Vortexbox lights were all out, I restarted Squeezelite-X. The Vortexbox did not start so I used WakeMeOnLan again and all was working.

So, go into my den, power up my Win 10 Tower, right clicked the Squeezelite-X desktop icon which started Squeezelite-X, go to the system tray and the Squeezelite-X icon is flickering between grey and blue just like yesterday.
    Go to my laptop and Squeezelite-X is cycling again, just like yesterday.
    Back to the den, use task manager to close Squeezelite-X, go to the laptop and the Squeezelite-X display is stable.

So, my testing showed two bugs :
    - two instances of Squeezelite-X running on the same LAN on different computers interfere with each other
    - WOL doesn't work.

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    This morning I turned on my Win 8.1 laptop, right clicked the Squeezelite-X desktop icon which started Squeezelite-X.
    Then right click the system tray Squeezelite-X icon and select "Open" and the app opened the screen display (but didn't WOL the Vortexbox).

The display was stable.

I then used WakeMeOnLan to WOL the Vortexbox.

Once the Vortexbox was up Squeezelite-X displayed the gui and was playing so I checked that the config showed the WOL box was ticked, and applied the settings again.

I then used the Server Power Control plugin to shutdown the server and closed the Squeezelite-X app.

Then when the Vortexbox lights were all out, I restarted Squeezelite-X. The Vortexbox did not start so I used WakeMeOnLan again and all was working.

So, go into my den, power up my Win 10 Tower, right clicked the Squeezelite-X desktop icon which started Squeezelite-X, go to the system tray and the Squeezelite-X icon is flickering between grey and blue just like yesterday.
    Go to my laptop and Squeezelite-X is cycling again, just like yesterday.
    Back to the den, use task manager to close Squeezelite-X, go to the laptop and the Squeezelite-X display is stable.

So, my testing showed two bugs :
    - two instances of Squeezelite-X running on the same LAN on different computers interfere with each other
    - WOL doesn't work.

If the two instances have the same MAC address defined you will have a problem, so check and make sure they are different.

I need to re-work the whole Mac Address part for the player, so that you don't have to specify it. The squeeze-lite player (squeezelite-win.exe) will default to the computer's network card Mac address if none is specified. Squeezelite-X defaults to an arbitrary MAC address and specifies that in the command line parameters to start up squeezelite-win.exe. I did that as a temporary implementation, so that I would know the player MAC Address. But I am working on a new implementation where I need to just let squeezelite use its default and then get that from LMS so that Squeezelite-X knows the ID of its player. I was working on that Sunday night, but ran out of time and had to go out of town for a few days. My first try had code to get the computer's network card Mac Address, but then I realized I had a problem when the computer had more than one network card. I need to pick the same one that squeezelite-win picked and that was not always happening. The best way will be to query LMS, not the local computer, but I ran out of time Sunday. Anyway, the next build (when I get back) will not have a field for Mac Address and you won't accidentally have two instances with the same address, which is very easy to do right now.

R Greg Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by scoob101 View Post
    I appreciate this may not be possible, but I`m going to ask, just in case.....

Could this implementation support Windows 10 background audio, so that playback would continue when the device is in connected standby?
    Nope, the software is not running in standby, so can't do this.

R Greg Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    Greg,
    In a break from watching the cricket I noticed your latest post.

On OneDrive I found a readme.txt, a certificate and two Install Appx Package instructions but no appx package.
    Hopefully once you load the appx I will be able to test on a Win 10 box.
    Could you still make the .exe available for other versions of Windows.

Your explanation of the logic of your implementation of WOL is how I expected it to be. Anyone running a server on a different subnet will presumably have the understanding and ability to set the Subnet mask correctly.
    There were several minutes of time where the files were not there as I was changing them out.

R Greg Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    My comment about making WOL optional was because power state changes on servers should be things that happen deliberately not accidentally. Sending WOL is a policy decision that a system administrator should have made a conscious effort to enable, nothing should be sending WOL packets just for kicks, particularly not a small client package that might sit unobtrusively in a random user's tray for weeks on end without any contact.

( And for Wirunna there is an .exe file in the parent folder of the "Windows 10" folder that runs on both windows 10 and other versions of Windows.)

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    Makes sense to me. I'll leave the option there and default is unchecked. Just to be clear, Squeezelite-X will only send WOL packet to server when you have the option set to do so and only then on startup or wake from sleep.

R Greg Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    If the two instances have the same MAC address defined you will have a problem, so check and make sure they are different.R Greg Dawson
    The MAC addresses are the same -m 90:2b:34:53:ce:43

Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    I need to re-work the whole Mac Address part for the player, so that you don't have to specify it. The squeeze-lite player (squeezelite-win.exe) will default to the computer's network card Mac address if none is specified. Squeezelite-X defaults to an arbitrary MAC address and specifies that in the command line parameters to start up squeezelite-win.exe. I did that as a temporary implementation, so that I would know the player MAC Address. But I am working on a new implementation where I need to just let squeezelite use its default and then get that from LMS so that Squeezelite-X knows the ID of its player. I was working on that Sunday night, but ran out of time and had to go out of town for a few days. My first try had code to get the computer's network card Mac Address, but then I realized I had a problem when the computer had more than one network card. I need to pick the same one that squeezelite-win picked and that was not always happening. The best way will be to query LMS, not the local computer, but I ran out of time Sunday. Anyway, the next build (when I get back) will not have a field for Mac Address and you won't accidentally have two instances with the same address, which is very easy to do right now.

R Greg Dawson
    Thank you for that explanation. I look forward to the next build.
    I was irked when the screen started looping in refresh mode as Squeezelite-X has become my web gui of preference, so much quicker than Firefox and Chrome.
    That's better, just changed the MAC address on one instance and both go without interference. And thanks to a previous poster, I have adjusted the size of the right pane to accommodate the CD Cover without cropping.

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists