Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I had a go at painting the sticky faceplate. I forgot to take a photo of the 'before', but it was really sticky, and very difficult to get a clean, blemish-free surface prior to painting. But the paint goes on quite 'wet', and is quite good at covering imperfections. Here's a photo of the repainted faceplate on the right, next to a good original.

You can tell that the finish isn't identical, it's slightly shinier, but it does have the same soft-touch feel, and despite the sticky and unstable base it's dry to the touch and wipes clean.

It's tricky stuff to spray, since it comes out of the spray nozzle a bit 'frothy', and if the bubbles in the froth don't disperse before it skins over then you get a milky finish. And you can see just to the left of where the POWER button goes that the rubber paint is starting to lift where I removed the masking tape, and there's a blemish round the edge of the REW button. So I think I may just peel it all off and have another go. I'll bet that peeling off the paint will leave a much better surface than when I started.

The rubber paint does indeed peel off quite easily, and it left the surface underneath very clean for the next attempt. It took me a couple more goes to get it right though. I've never been very good at spray painting, and this is difficult stuff to spray - somewhere between traditional paint and spray glue - but in the end I managed to get a good finish with a single wet coat.

I'm happy with the finish, it's dry to the touch, and it has the same feel as the original.

(I'm astonished how much dust the photo shows - to the naked eye it looks completely clean!)

I presume that you covered the lettering with tape before spraying ... but can't see the join between old and new.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I presume that you covered the lettering with tape before spraying ... but can't see the join between old and new.
    No it's transparent rubber lacquer. If I'd been too vigorous with the cleaning, and the original finish had been removed, I understand that the base plastic is transparent, so then I think that black rubber paint would make more sense. That wouldn't be such a bad thing in my opinion, since the backlit symbols on the buttons make the lettering a bit redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    The rubber paint does indeed peel off quite easily, and it left the surface underneath very clean for the next attempt. It took me a couple more goes to get it right though. I've never been very good at spray painting, and this is difficult stuff to spray - somewhere between traditional paint and spray glue - but in the end I managed to get a good finish with a single wet coat.

I'm happy with the finish, it's dry to the touch, and it has the same feel as the original.

(I'm astonished how much dust the photo shows - to the naked eye it looks completely clean!)
    That a very nice result. What did you do for the buttons? Protect them, remove them or spray on them as well? I assume you can spray paint when they are in place but just asking
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I removed them, as well as the six numbered preset buttons, then I masked the top section. In fact that’s probably not necessary, because overspray can be peeled or ‘rolled’ off.

For the rubber buttons I separated the rubber membrane from the PCB and gave them a scrub in soapy water.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I removed them, as well as the six numbered preset buttons, then I masked the top section. In fact that’s probably not necessary, because overspray can be peeled or ‘rolled’ off.

For the rubber buttons I separated the rubber membrane from the PCB and gave them a scrub in soapy water.
    Thanks, that's very cool to finally see a solution to fix this issue!
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

What spray did you use? Do you have a brand and/or product number? Photo of the spray can?
    Looks very nice!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    What spray did you use? Do you have a brand and/or product number? Photo of the spray can?
    Looks very nice!
    I used a brand that I found on eBay ("CAR RER" - link here), and went for the 'Matt Lacquer'. There are plenty of other similar products though - Plasti Dip is probably more well-known.

Last edited by chill; 2019-02-05 at 00:37.

Sticky Front Panel & Knob

Quote Originally Posted by SamS View Post
    Hi all,

My Boom has served me well for many years. I decided to give it a good cleaning the other day, and the solution I used had a small amount of bleach. Well, it was just enough to interact with the button panel/knob on the front, and turn it permanently sticky!

I'm not too upset, as I'm preferring to use an Echo Dot + Denon HEOS 1 in the Boom's place. But what to do with the Boom? Sell it for parts? The display still works, although it's showing signs of age/dimming. I have full box and accessories. Do we have a place or rule about selling things here? Or is eBay better? Suggested price, considering the condition?
    I just picked up a Squeezebox Boom for $50. It had typical use(scratches on the Piano black surfaces), sticky front panel and knob, and a dim display panel.
    I adjusted the display to the max of "5" and at least I can now read the display panel but I'm not sure if this accelerates the demise of the dim display problems.
    I found an amazing plastic scratch remover. If the scratches are minor, using E-Z-R (with BF Goodrich Carbopol) called Scratch Away HD formula is simply amazing.
    Here are some other tips about removing more difficult scratches. The next step up with deeper scratches, I suggest the Mequiar's Scratch X 2.0. It will take deeper
    scratches away but you still need to follow-up using the E-Z-R Scratch away to get the final "Glass" like finish.
    If the scratches are even deeper, use Happich Simichrome Polish. Its great for metals, but I have found it works wonders with plastics too. Again this is higher in
    pumice or the abrasive material that makes if effective, but you then next have to use the Meguiar's and then the E-Z-R Scratch away to finish off. Your end results
    are truly amazing!
    I've done a web search about these newer black, rubberized surfaces. Their use in product be produced (mainly China) are everywhere. The same sticky and tacky
    surface can really destroy wanting to use a product that has this situation. The Talc powder does work to some degree. I also found users suggesting that applying
    Baby Oil works too but have been told both are just temporary.
    I applied the Baby Oil to the front panel using a paper towel and basically tried to keep rubbing it into the surface and then touching the surface occasionally to see
    if it was working. It did make the surface more pleasing to the touch without the dulling effect that Talc powder does.
    I hope these tricks will help others!

Regards, John