Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with a Boom with sticky front panel?

Hi all,

My Boom has served me well for many years. I decided to give it a good cleaning the other day, and the solution I used had a small amount of bleach. Well, it was just enough to interact with the button panel/knob on the front, and turn it permanently sticky!

I'm not too upset, as I'm preferring to use an Echo Dot + Denon HEOS 1 in the Boom's place. But what to do with the Boom? Sell it for parts? The display still works, although it's showing signs of age/dimming. I have full box and accessories. Do we have a place or rule about selling things here? Or is eBay better? Suggested price, considering the condition?

Same problem for my second boom.

The sticky stuff seems to be the varnish on top of the black paint (otherwise the plastic is transparent)

I don't see a way to clean that without actually removing the black tint

It was not likely your cleaning that did it. I have two booms with the sticky front panels. I've never cleaned them with anything. It's a well known problem. Both work well however.....I even have some squeezebox remotes (which I don't actually use often) that have started getting the same "stickiness".
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Hello

About this stickyness, here are my findings so far on a BOOM frontpanel

The substance that is making it sticky is the matte varnish on top on the black paint, that makes it looks smooth and silky like soft rubber.

- cleaning it with soap or cloth ; you just make it worse.

- with alcohol, you can remove the sticky substance but it's very difficult to 100% remove it everywhere and completely get rid of the stickyness. Also, you'll end up with a shiny and somewhat cloudy surface, it won't be matte anymore

- with paint thinner , you get back to bare plastic, which is transparent (believe it or not) ; you remove both the "sticky matte", the black paint underneath, and the text of the buttons. You end up with a clean, shiny & translucent surface. Some people paint it back in black ("...I hit the sack " ) + matte car varnish, but it won't be the same ever again.
    Last edited by sebulba; 2017-07-22 at 01:06.

Baby Powder

Hello,
    Try Baby Powder (Talcum). It's magic!
    Ronny
    (3 Booms)

Quote Originally Posted by rcolotto View Post
    Hello,
    Try Baby Powder (Talcum). It's magic!
    Ronny
    (3 Booms)
    Serious?

Talcum

YES!
    Serious.

Quote Originally Posted by rcolotto View Post
    YES!
    Serious.
    OK, I'll try and give it a shot this weekend. I have nothing to lose! Boom is boxed up, just looking for a new home, or maybe even tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by SamS View Post
    OK, I'll try and give it a shot this weekend. I have nothing to lose! Boom is boxed up, just looking for a new home, or maybe even tossed.
    Don't toss it. someone will pay you for shipping. Booms are really useful. I have 2 in use, and one in reserve.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify