Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

re: talc

Please report back on the talc! I have 4 booms still in play and some are definitely quite sticky....isopropyl definitely didn't help. Got it cleaner, sure, but definitely not less sticky...

I'd love to find a reliable solution!

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova808 View Post
    Please report back on the talc! I have 4 booms still in play and some are definitely quite sticky....isopropyl definitely didn't help. Got it cleaner, sure, but definitely not less sticky...

yep, both mine are very sticky
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova808 View Post

Just the volume / menu knob on my booms got sticky, talcum powder mops up the sticky making it nicer to touch,
    It's a bit grey now but not too bad. To be honest it just looks like I haven't dusted it for a while.

Placing the knob in the dish washer helped! But he remaining front panel is still sticky...

Treat the anxiety, not the problem

A different approach

I have two booms, one sticky and one not. For the sticky one, I took the approach to stop reminding myself that it's sticky, and thereby letting it bother me. I don't touch it. I have quite a few controllers and I set one next to the sticky boom, and use either that or squeezecontrol if I have my phone in my pocket at the time.

I have forgotten that boom is sticky. It helps that it's in my shop and real dusty too....maybe also the fact it's not at eye level.

Jim

I finally got around to removing the sticky rubber off my 3 Booms.
    For me methylated spirits and a microfibre cloth worked quite easily with some elbow grease.

The metho would soften the rubber and on the right angle you could see it the 'edge' of the layer as it got rubbed off.

Now all nice and shiny and smooth (and yes, the lettering also comes off).

I bought a used Boom this weekend, and as expected, the front panel is very sticky. I can clean it by wiping over with a cloth dipped in meths, but it stays sticky and quickly collects dust again. I'm just wondering whether anyone has tried coating it with, say, a clear matt lacquer without stripping the original finish. I'm not sure whether the sticky original finish is stable enough to take a couple of coats of lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I bought a used Boom this weekend, and as expected, the front panel is very sticky. I can clean it by wiping over with a cloth dipped in meths, but it stays sticky and quickly collects dust again. I'm just wondering whether anyone has tried coating it with, say, a clear matt lacquer without stripping the original finish. I'm not sure whether the sticky original finish is stable enough to take a couple of coats of lacquer.
    I can't talk about covering with a clear lacquer, but with the meths I did find you need to get in there and rub, rub, rub - not just wipe. The meths softens the top layer and with more rubbing it will start to all come off back to the base plastic.

You need to work in a small area to get it started to build out from there.

All the booms I cleaned back to the base plastic using meths have remained sticky-free.

Talc

Still sticking to the talcum method. 4 Booms and many other objects with similar surface...
    Ronny

Quote Originally Posted by kidhazy View Post
    I can't talk about covering with a clear lacquer, but with the meths I did find you need to get in there and rub, rub, rub - not just wipe. The meths softens the top layer and with more rubbing it will start to all come off back to the base plastic.
    I did try with the rubber paint, and it's worked out really well. I bought yet another Boom - this one had an extremely sticky knob, although the front panel is quite good. I stripped the knob back to shiny black plastic and was tempted to stop there, since it looked good like that. But having bought the rubber paint anyway (matt lacquer) I had nothing to lose, since you can apparently peel the paint off if you put enough coats on.

Here it is after three generous coats. The appearance is extremely close to the original, and the surface has the same soft-touch feel of the original, whilst also being dry and non-sticky. If anything it looks even better 'in real life' - the camera picks up imperfections that are very hard to see with the naked eye. See how similar it looks to the front panel, which has NOT been painted yet in this photo.

This has given me confidence to have a go at the one with the really bad front panel. Hopefully I can get it dust free without stripping the lettering off. If not, I don't think the lettering is that crucial, so I'll strip it back to clear plastic. Maybe matt black rubber paint would be better in that eventuality.
    Last edited by chill; 2019-01-31 at 01:00.