Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I've just had a look at the convert.conf file and the ape entries don't support the "T" option: "can seek to a start time offset".

That is why, when playing an ape file plus cue file, LMS can't find the start of the track in the cue file and why it starts from the beginning.

[Later Edit]

This might be and explanation of why seek isn't supported by LMS with ape files, even though the thread is from 2012. Read andyg's and subsequent posts (The mac.exe version in use with LMS 7.9.2 is still 3.99 which doesn't support seek).

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post725994
    Last edited by JohnB; 2018-12-12 at 07:39.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Thanks, I suspected it was that. So I suppose I'll have to convert the .apes to .flacs. I did some checking and I can embed the CUE sheet into the .flac file using MP3Tag and Foobar will read the titles of each track, but if I embed the CUE sheet into the .ape file, Foobar reads the album title for all the individual tracks.

Question: When a scan is performed, does LMS read the embedded CUE sheet or the separate .cue file? Stand by for the answer...
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2018-12-13 at 04:35. Reason: Found the answer
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - TRUNK @ UNKNOWN, running on Wandboard Quad using Squeeze on Arch
    Music library on ReadyNAS NV+
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Answer: It reads the .cue file.
    I know that various people use embedded cue files so LMS might well read the cue file one exists but read the embedded cue if a separate cue file isn't present. Worth checking
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I know that various people use embedded cue files so LMS might well read the cue file one exists but read the embedded cue if a separate cue file isn't present. Worth checking
    I ran the experiment: I removed the .cue sheet file from the folder and left only the single .flac file with embedded cue sheet.

Result: After a rescan, LMS can't find any of the tracks. It can only find the name of the album, which is the same as the name of the .flac file. It finds an Artist name, but no album title.

MP3Tag shows an Album tag, along with the Artist name, and it also shows the embedded cue sheet...

So it would appear that this version of LMS, at least, has a problem reading CUE sheets embedded in .flac files.

I'll try with some other files and report back.

I converted another single .ape file to .flac and then embedded the CUE sheet using MP3Tag. I added a marker so I'd know which CUE sheet was being read by LMS. And doggone if this time it doesn't seem to have read the embedded CUE.

Now I'll remove the external .cue sheet file and see what happens...

It still reads the embedded CUE sheet. (No reason why it shouldn't.) Now I'm re-converting the album I had trouble with from .ape to .flac. I'll embed the cue sheet, then remove the .cue file and we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2018-12-14 at 07:59.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - TRUNK @ UNKNOWN, running on Wandboard Quad using Squeeze on Arch
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act

Results of experiments with embedded CUE sheets

This is to give the final results of my experiments mentioned above and sum up my conclusions:

I'm not sure what was wrong with the single .flac file I was having problems with, but after having re-converted it from .ape using Foobar2000 (v. 1.4.1) and embedding the CUE sheet, LMS finds all the tracks and can play them individually. In fact it finds them all twice - once in the .cue file and once in the embedded CUE sheet.

As for single .ape files with .cue files, all the tracks are listed in LMS, but if I try to play any single track, LMS plays the entire .ape file from the beginning.

BUT - to circle back to the original post in this thread, when I tap the .cue file or the .ape file or the .flac file, I get the "Problem - Can't open file for..." error. In the case of the .cue file the tracks are listed, but I get the same error when I tap on an individual track.

Thanks to everyone for your answers, and good listening during this holy season. The music is why we're all here, and joy is what the music is all about...

Les
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2018-12-14 at 07:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    The music is why we're all here, and joy is what the music is all about...
    ???

You're not suggesting that we actually listen to the d*mned stuff are you?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    ???

You're not suggesting that we actually listen to the d*mned stuff are you?
    Sure - if only when running experiments and waiting for a scan to complete. ;-)

Just jumping in here as I've been struggling with this somewhat as well; I had the idea that since I grew up in the LP-era it might be nice to group some of my albums by their original LP sides as 2 FLACs, side 1 and 2, and then use an embedded cue sheet so that in normal album viewing mode I see the usual full track listing.

But then if I wanted to play a handful of original sides, I could just go in via music folder and add them manually from the flacs...meaning add side 2 of this LP, side 1 of that, etc., as a single flac file each since that's how they'd be sitting on the server.

Except that won't work - I can see the split versions fine and they play as they should (split meaning them showing up as regular entries in the album view) but unless I fully remove the cue sheet from the flac it won't play via the music folder view. Is there any way around this? And I'm not looking to split the files, etc. - this is meant to accomplish a very specific thing.

Unfortunately the problem still persists. I have several thousand cue files, so splitting is not an option for me. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. There is already a bug report at http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=18142