Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Box won't connect to wifi (but wifi and mysqueezebox.com say otherwise)

Hi -- appreciate any help you can offer. I've had my SB since 2012 (!) but all I use it for is the radio. Very basic, makes me happy. It has had intermittent issues of stopping streaming for no reason (at least 1x a month); unplugging and waiting 30 seconds usually fixes this.

I have a Comcast business gateway. To get better control of my wifi flow and not pay for that service via Comcast, I bought a Google OnHub. I added the wifi info to my SB and it was working fine for several months.

Then all of a sudden out of nowhere it stopped working -- no changes were made to my network, or the OnHub. No password changes, etc. The wifi icon is red.

My usual goto tactic: unplug it for a while. Tried this 3 times. Same result. Ran diagnostics: It couldn't detect wireless YET -- shows my Google OnHub access point all in white, with a checkmark, ready for connecting. Click it ... it goes through the process of attempting to connect, and fails. I did check for and install the latest version of firmware early on in the troubleshooting process.

I went back to the OnHub and restarted it. Same result.

I am now on forums but everyone's story is unique so after research I gave up and made my own post.

Note: When I look at my Google Wifi app (the interface for the OnHub) -- it says the SB is connected. No data is obviously happening, but it believes the device is connected.
    Note: When I look at mysqueezebox.com, it ALSO shows the device as connected. I have a button to choose to "Disconnect" but I'm not touching that until one of you suggests it. I attempted to use Remote control and it didn't do anything to the SB, which is on.

Help?
    Last edited by thmilin; 2017-05-05 at 12:49. Reason: Added note re: the fact I updated the firmware.

Can't connect

Same here this morning. I don't think the server is working at the moment.

Box won't connect to wifi (but wifi andmysqueezebox.com say otherwise)

> Same here this morning. I don't think the server is working at the
    > moment.

mysb is currently down in EU. We had a major outage. But it seems to be
    recovering slowly.

Time to point to our new status page: https://status.logitech.com/

--

Michael

server down

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Same here this morning. I don't think the server is working at the
    > moment.

mysb is currently down in EU. We had a major outage. But it seems to be
    recovering slowly.

Time to point to our new status page: https://status.logitech.com/

--

Michael
    Thank you for the info. Michael.

Not in the EU ...

Hey folks,

Thanks for replying -- actually, I don't think that status issue is related. I'm based in the US (west coast), and this issue started for me days ago (I believe Tues morning when I tried to turn the tunes on while getting ready for work). The loss of my happy music in the AM has now made me extremely cranky!

I tried restarting the box (with firmware update) several times Tues. Then Wed was restarting the OnHub. Thurs was researching and testing online solutions, but most of them are outdated from years ago or highly specialized issues where the user had a bunch of different settings going on with their router or were using other aspects of their box that were interfering.

Plus the status on the link you sent is green for everything -- but I still have a red wifi icon when I reboot the box (unplug, plug back in).

SB Radio on MySB.com working fine here in US. Sure OnHub settings are correct? OnHub not blocking it's access to internet? Guest network?

In future when it stops playing just try hitting Play or FFWD, always works for me, never need to reboot the player to get play back.

May as well try the Disconnect button, worse case you won't get audio streaming (just as it is now). Then go to Radio > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Connect to MySB.com

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    SB Radio on MySB.com working fine here in US. Sure OnHub settings are correct? OnHub not blocking it's access to internet? Guest network?

In future when it stops playing just try hitting Play or FFWD, always works for me, never need to reboot the player to get play back.

May as well try the Disconnect button, worse case you won't get audio streaming (just as it is now). Then go to Radio > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Connect to MySB.com
    Thanks for the reply ... per my OP:

- The issue isn't the OnHub unless you can tell me specific things to test for or change. The SB was working for months with the OnHub as is. No changes to settings were made, no changes to password or network. I do not have the guest network set up; the SB uses the main network and password. The OnHub sees the SB and says it's connected. The SB sees the OnHub connection and shows it as "white/accessible" (full bars, checkmark next to it, in white). But when I attempt to select it, it says it cannot connect and to check my password, etc. All other devices in the house that are also connected to the OnHub have had no issues (including the laptop I am typing this from).

- I tried "Radio > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Connect to MySB.com" earlier and it said it couldn't connect to the internet and to check my wifi settings so until that is remedied I can't really do anything else. The network is there, and the box sees it, it just won't connect to it.

- Historical audio streaming interruption: I have tried pressing "play" and "FF" and also using the power button -- none of these things solved it. The only thing that did was unplugging the box. It was like pressing Power just put the thing to sleep and it would turn back on but when I'd press the button for the channel I was listening to it'd remain silent (the wifi bars would all be white at that time, but all of a sudden the stations wouldn't play any more when I tested them).

I guess I could reset to factory settings as a last result ... but I'd like to avoid that.

I've got 4 SB radios and 3 work great and 1 keeps dropping wifi for zero reason to do with home network. I've come to the conclusion that the radio wifi card or whatever in the unit is faulty on that one. You can read loads of radio wifi issues. I haven't tried wired connection on the duff one but I guess that'll fix it.

Miraculously ... the box is able to connect now ...

I changed nothing on my router/OnHub side -- the only change was I clicked "Disconnect" when on mysqueezebox.com for the device. Clicking Disconnect did not actually appear to work on the mysqueezebox.com site - I'd click it, it'd look like it was thinking ("resolving" the new setting) and then when it was done the page would still show the "Disconnect" button as an option. Not sure what that's about -- so either clicking disconnected it but then the box/site "auto-reconnects" and there's no such thing as a "Connect" button on this panel in mysqueezebox.com, or it didn't do anything at all and the two didn't really end up talking to each other.

Regardless ... the box finally started streaming tunes, 5 days later!

05mattjax - yeah, I was wondering if the networking parts were going bad BUT ... if that were the case the box shouldn't have been able to see any of my network connections, right? And my OnHub shouldn't have been able to see my box as connected. And mysqueezebox.com shouldn't have been able to see the box as connected either ...

Very fishy and weird but thankfully it's back on. I couldn't justify buying another one of these for $150ish!

Quote Originally Posted by thmilin View Post
    I changed nothing on my router/OnHub side -- the only change was I clicked "Disconnect" when on mysqueezebox.com for the device. Clicking Disconnect did not actually appear to work on the mysqueezebox.com site - I'd click it, it'd look like it was thinking ("resolving" the new setting) and then when it was done the page would still show the "Disconnect" button as an option. Not sure what that's about -- so either clicking disconnected it but then the box/site "auto-reconnects" and there's no such thing as a "Connect" button on this panel in mysqueezebox.com, or it didn't do anything at all and the two didn't really end up talking to each other.

Regardless ... the box finally started streaming tunes, 5 days later!

05mattjax - yeah, I was wondering if the networking parts were going bad BUT ... if that were the case the box shouldn't have been able to see any of my network connections, right? And my OnHub shouldn't have been able to see my box as connected. And mysqueezebox.com shouldn't have been able to see the box as connected either ...

Very fishy and weird but thankfully it's back on. I couldn't justify buying another one of these for $150ish!
    Glad to hear you're back in business. I wouldn't conclude that a network tweak is a reason for the radio reconnecting to wifi - it'll just be coincidence IMO - my faulty box really does have a mind of its own with regards to wifi....shall I connect all day today.....nah......maybe tomorrow......but then again this is fun messing with my owner......lets keep intermittently connecting indefinitely.......but for one day when my owner changes say the wifi channel let's have a solid connection that day or maybe that week just so he thinks it's the network......but then go back to intermittent when he leasts expects it or at the most inconvenient time like when entertaining! Thank you SB Radio!

I wouldn't recommend buying another box purely because of this issue in case the new box has the same problem - you'll only know in time. Instead id look to work-around the issue i.e. making an Ethernet connection.