Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac321 View Post
    Switching cards won't work with piCorePlayer as it creates a custom kernel based on which pi you start it up in.
    Yeah, but was worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac321 View Post
    I can report that I have successfully made both a PiZeroW and a PiZero1.3(non-wireless) work with pCP, Jivelite and a 3.5" TFT.
    Great,but i am stucked at: "starting jivelite... Done."
    So the screen is working, but jivelite is not starting. Any tips?
    I am using a pi zero + WIfi Adapter and piCore Player 2.21
    You won't need the newconfig.cfg file.
    Why?Because of wifi? i have a wifi adapter attached

Thanks for your answer and tips,
    Cubii

Quote Originally Posted by cubii View Post

Cubii
    Cubii,
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your plans. I thought you were trying to use a non-W with a wired adapter (enc28j60), not a wireless adapter.

Yes, if you want wireless, use the newconfig,cfg file.

There will need to be further tinkering to use the enc28j60 with a 3.5" TFT as they are both spi devices. My current project is an absolutely minimalist-headless piCorePlayer for the garage: PiZero1.3 + enc28j60 + cheap i2c DAC.

@ cubil - Have you modified dorebootstuff ?

Quote Originally Posted by cubii View Post
    Hi

Yeah, but was worth a try.

Great,but i am stucked at: "starting jivelite... Done."
    So the screen is working, but jivelite is not starting. Any tips?

Thanks for your answer and tips,
    Cubii
    Jivelite not starting is usually due to dorebootstuff not having been modified - 1st thing to check ....

hi 16rmac321 and nowhinjing,

Quote Originally Posted by nowhinjing View Post
    Jivelite not starting is usually due to dorebootstuff not having been modified - 1st thing to check ....
    Jivelite is starting, but on the wrong monitor: if i have attached a hdmi monitor, and use the normal do_rebootstuff.sh file, jivelite starts on that monitor.

But if i change the do_rebootstuff.sh and the jivelite.sh from the tutorial, I'm stucked on the crond time disparity message.. which is showing on the touchscreen...

EDIT: It was a Permission problem:

I tried it with a raspi 1 and had the same result as with the raspi zero without w.
    So i tried to start jivelite by hand (disabled autostart and started it via ssh: sudo SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite &
    ) and it worked .
    So the solution is to change the permission of jivelite.sh with:

Code:
    cd /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/
    sudo chmod -R 777 jivelite.sh
    I coied the file via winscp as suggested in the tutorial, but it seems the permissions were not correct.

Now i need to calibrate it.
    Last edited by cubii; 2017-12-09 at 09:34. Reason: Found solution

Jivelite reversed (negative) video

Hello,

Thanks to @nowhinjing for the effort to collate the information necessary to make this work.

I have:

* RPi 2
    * Waveshare 3.5" (B)
    * pCP 3.22

I have successfully modified the files as required and I have Jivelite showing on the Waveshare screen and touch is working, however the video colours are inverted (i.e., black is white and colours are negative).

Any suggestions for resolving this, please?

The screen works fine with the Waveshare Raspbian image, but with pCP, everything is reversed all the time, including the boot screen (white background). Symptoms are the same with a different RPi, different power supply and different SD card.

I can't see anything obvious in the files and I have tried adding a mode to the fbset command, but I'm working in the dark. There isn't any useful documentation on the Busybox implementation of fbset that I can find, so it may not support the mode options that the full-fat fbset does. I also note that the colour depth setting (fbset -depth=32) is probably not doing anything useful with this screen – it only supports 65536 colours – but changing it has no effect.

Edit to add: Great success using the waveshare35b overlay. I'll write it up and add a link.
    Last edited by mongrel; 2017-12-28 at 12:37. Reason: Resolved
    --
    Nick.

Thanks so much for the tutorial. This is the kind of stuff I'd say that I wouldn't have achieved by myself in a 1000 years...

An addition which might be helpful to all that use USB devices with the Raspi (there are several posts pointing out that plugging in a mouse or a keyboard during the setup process causes some confusion with the event numbers).

The original do_rebootstuff.sh had some lines that dynamically detect the event number and that are commented out in the tutorial which hardcodes "event0" instead of "$eventno":

Code:
    if [ "$JIVELITE" = "yes" ]; then
    	echo -n "${BLUE}Starting Jivelite... ${NORMAL}"
    #	eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/FT5406 memory based driver/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
    #	if [ x"" != x"$eventno" ];then
    #		export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
    		export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
    		export SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB
    		export SDL_MOUSEDEV=$TSLIB_TSDEVICE
    #	fi
    This is because the search pattern "FT5406" only applies to certain hardware componenents. But if you know the "name" of your 3.5 touchscreen, you can easily adapt the dynamic event number logic.
    You get the name by typing
    Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    at the prompt (via Putty). In my case for example (a 20 Euro display from Amazon) it reads (no USB device plugged in):
    Code:
    tc@piCorePlayer:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    I: Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
    N: Name="ADS7846 Touchscreen"
    P: Phys=spi0.1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/3f204000.spi/spi_master/spi0/spi0.1/input/input0
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse0 event0
    B: PROP=0
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=400 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=1000003
    So if I put the name "ADS7846 Touchscreen" into do_rebootstuff.sh, everything works perfectly, no matter what USB devices are plugged in. This is the code (which also includes ralphy's patch from post #64:

Code:
    if [ "$JIVELITE" = "yes" ]; then
    	echo -n "${BLUE}Starting Jivelite... ${NORMAL}"
    	eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/ADS7846 Touchscreen/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
    	if [ x"" != x"$eventno" ];then
    		export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
    		export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/$eventno
    		export SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB
    		export SDL_MOUSEDEV=$TSLIB_TSDEVICE
    	fi
    	export HOME=/home/tc
    #	if [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
    if [ -x /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh ]; then
                   echo "${GREEN}Done.${NORMAL}"
                   sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
           elif [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
    		echo "${GREEN}Done.${NORMAL}"
    		sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
    	else
    		echo "${RED}There is a problem with the Jivelite installation. Please remove and reinstall jivelite.${NORMAL}"
    	fi
    fi
    Best regards
    Martin
    PCP (always latest version) on RasPi 3 with PhatDac (player & server)
    PCP on several RasPis 2 +3
    2 Airplay speakers (Sony SA-NS510) integrated via Airplay Bridge Plugin

Putting display into standby?

Hi,
    for all that are using the touchscreen display in self constructed mobile devices (i.e. running on battery power), it would be great to have an option to put the screen and its backlight into standby after a certain time.
    It seems that this is not really trivial, as the touchscreen needs to be present at boot time and can't simply be switched off and on after booting. There are lots of threads on this, e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...0968&start=150
    The power saving mode integrated into PCP/jivelite only works with the official display.
    I found the pinout here: https://diyhacking.com/raspberry-pi-...-lcd-tutorial/ - its for the 3.2 Inch display, but I suppose that its identical for the 3.5.
    Has anybody succeeded in finding a solution for a power saving mode for the touchscreen?
    Best regards
    Martin
    Last edited by streampunk; 2018-01-26 at 05:27.

conflict between TFT and LMS

Does anyone have a 3.5" TFT up and running on a pCP with LMS also installed? I've run into some weird issues trying to add LMS to a working player.

I added a USB hard drive and enabled LMS and had it working, but when I rebooted after enabling LMS autostart, the TFT no longer starts up when Jivelite loads. Here's where it gets weird. Took me a while to figure it out, but If I stop LMS the screen comes back to life. Then I can start LMS and all works fine, screen works, touch works, DAC works, etc. Basically everythings good until you restart and then I have to stop LMS for the screen to start again.

I tried changing the order of things in dorebootstuff to try to load Jivelite first, but I totally borked the system and locked it up during boot. I'll keep tinkering with that, but in the meantime I thought I'd check in here to see if I'm missing something obvious or if anybody else has seen this behavior. I don't understand why LMS would prevent the screen from receiving the Jivelite output.

Current setup is pCP 3.22, Pi3, pHatDAC, 3.5"TFT. Hardware all works fine without LMS enabled.
    Be glad to share any settings that might help.

edit:
    I can't see how to change the order of things in dorebootstuff that would solve this. LMS needs to be running before squeezelite and squeezelite needs to be running before Jivelite. When I comment out the null redirect of the jivelite.sh command, my hdmi monitor shows a recurring Jivelite 0.1.0 as if the command is being called repeatedly.
    Last edited by rmac321; 2018-01-26 at 17:17. Reason: add info

LMS with autostart set to No

Another issue I'm having with the current LMS/TFT setup is that if I leave LMS autostart set to no, it will almost never start LMS manually. I don't know if this is caused by a clash with my main LMS server, or if it is an issue with my particular pCP setup. Is pCP finicky about starting LMS manually? Is this another clash between my TFT and LMS. It seems like a bizarre conflict if that is the cause, but it is the common thread.

Did you try what I described in #76? This should make sure that the display is always properly addressed, no matter what other devices are plugged in.
    Regards
    Martin