Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 110 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1252
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    Nope, PCP does not start. I figured I would have to get started before I could SSH in.

Should I start with loading the pcp.img?

Thanks,

Howard

I would use a different SD card, and start with a fresh image, once booted. The fresh image will not have any added extensions that you downloaded, so you will have to do that again.

So I am starting from scratch completely? Backups won't help? The reason I ask is I have a bunch of SB players and have different settings for things like SDT. Having to build those over is gonna be a...well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I would use a different SD card, and start with a fresh image, once booted. The fresh image will not have any added extensions that you downloaded, so you will have to do that again.

It all depends on your setup. LMS is not part of the mydata.tcz backup.

Where did you save the LMS cache?

Here... /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver So I guess it's gone??

What is the best procedure for backing this thing up so I don't lose all of my settings?

Thanks,

Howard

It all depends on your setup. LMS is not part of the mydata.tcz backup.

Where did you save the LMS cache?

Here... /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver So I guess it's gone??

What is the best procedure for backing this thing up so I don't lose all of my settings?

Thanks,

Howard
    I'm assuming that your only linux computer is the rpi. That's why I wanted you to setup a new card.....then after the new card was setup, you could use a microsd to USB adapter, and plug it into your rpi, then Copy the contents of /mnt/sd?2/tce/slimserver to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver.

In your next setup, I would store the LMS cache/Prefs and music on a USB stick. You could occasionally pull and backup the USB stick.

O.K. i get the part abou the LMS cache and I could back that up using WINscp easy enough. Not sure I'm following the first part of your answer though. Should I also backup /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver is some fashion.

If I then lose everything again I can use the files mentioned to rebuild my server back to where it was?

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I am not linux literate. I do have three RPI's in house though.

Howard

I'm assuming that your only linux computer is the rpi. That's why I wanted you to setup a new card.....then after the new card was setup, you could use a microsd to USB adapter, and plug it into your rpi, then Copy the contents of /mnt/sd?2/tce/slimserver to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver.

In your next setup, I would store the LMS cache/Prefs and music on a USB stick. You could occasionally pull and backup the USB stick.

O.K. i get the part abou the LMS cache and I could back that up using WINscp easy enough. Not sure I'm following the first part of your answer though. Should I also backup /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/slimserver is some fashion.

If I then lose everything again I can use the files mentioned to rebuild my server back to where it was?

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I am not linux literate. I do have three RPI's in house though.

Howard
    Some of this is a piCore OS nuance, not just because it's linux. /mnt/mmcblk0p2 is a physical disk, saving anything to that disk is always persistent. Everywhere else on the system only exists in RAM, and thus needs to be backed up to disk be held from boot to boot (mydata.tgz).

It is entirely possible that your sd card failed, such that everything on partition /mnt/mmcblk0p2 is now corrupt. But the only way to know for sure would be attach that sd card to another computer to read the contents. If you can do that, and the directory /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/.... is not corrupted, then you could copy this to the new card, and recover your system.

In the future, If everything is saved to the sd card like you have it today, then the best backup is to make an image of the entire card.

PiCore Server

I am in the process of setting up PiCore as with LMS as the primary server. I was impacted by the prior Sourceforge outage, however now that thatĺs up, I have another question.

The configuration I intend to use is with a data drive connected to the server by USB. With PiCore;

Should it;
    Will it;
    Can it;
    Is it advisable for it;
    ů..to spin the hard drive down when not in use?

The OS will not spin it down. Some drives will do it in the firmware. Other than a little power, there is no reason to spin it down.

Thanks very much. That helps.

I di try copying the contents of the card in WINscp one time. Besides taking forever, some files would not copy. What is the best way to make an image of the card? I have Google'd that subject but haven't come up with anything that really worked.

Thanks again for your time, patience and most of all the product.

Howard

Some of this is a piCore OS nuance, not just because it's linux. /mnt/mmcblk0p2 is a physical disk, saving anything to that disk is always persistent. Everywhere else on the system only exists in RAM, and thus needs to be backed up to disk be held from boot to boot (mydata.tgz).

It is entirely possible that your sd card failed, such that everything on partition /mnt/mmcblk0p2 is now corrupt. But the only way to know for sure would be attach that sd card to another computer to read the contents. If you can do that, and the directory /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/.... is not corrupted, then you could copy this to the new card, and recover your system.

In the future, If everything is saved to the sd card like you have it today, then the best backup is to make an image of the entire card.