Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 85 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
    There is nothing in common between Raspbian and piCore, except they are Linux based.

This is probably the best place to start

http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    There is nothing in common between Raspbian and piCore, except they are Linux based.
    Paul,
    Yes, I'm clearly finding out just how different it is. I've finally gotten pretty comfortable living in a Debian world, so Raspbian has been very friendly - learning wise. pCP and tinycore are a whole new learning curve. Frankly it is a testament to Steen, Greg, Ralphy, Triode and yourself (as well as countless others, I'm sure) to just how well pCP works that I have never dug into it before. It just works and works really, really well!! For me, it worked from day one and has never let me down.
    Thanks for the continuing help.
    Last edited by rmac321; 2017-12-07 at 08:09. Reason: edit, how could I forget triode for squeezelite!! Who else have I forgotten?

I am running the latest version piCoreplayer on a Raspberry pi 3 with jivelite. It is connected to my network through ethernet via a wi-fi AC750 bridge. If I play an album proper it will play straight through without any issues. If I play a playlist with songs (99% ALAC) from different directories I get occasional buffering and at times it won't advance to the next track automatically. The same playlists play fine on my Squeezebox Touch and Boom. Is there a modification or setting that would correct this?

I am using the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 with 2.5A Micro USB Power Supply using a Amzer Convert Micro USB to Dual Micro USB Twin Y Splitter Charging Handy Data Cable if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

How to create 3rd partition on SD card with Window?

Yes, you can do that. Setup pCP, but do not expand the file system to fill the whole card. Once it is setup, pull the card and create a 3rd partition on the card to use the rest of the space, and then add your music.

Then restart your pi, and setup the mounting of the new partion on the pCP / LMS web page. It will show up under the USB mounting.
    Sorry for replying ot an old note - but I wanted to try this. What Windows based partition tools can do this? I tried Windows Disk Manager, MiniTool Partition Wizard and Ext2Fsd but they all only see the first (boot) partition on the card, not the pCP second partition. (NB - this might be a function of something weird with my particular laptop which uses a Ricoh driver for the SD card slot).

Is there a better Windows program or a way to use the command line within pCP to create the third partition?

Thanks

**********************EDIT**********************

Turns out that my (old) laptop is the problem. Borrowed another laptop and was able to run MiniTool on the SD card. The issue appears to be the hardware and driver for the SD card slot originally made by Ricoh for HP. The driver blocks anything other than native Windows file formats. Strangely, it allows images to be written directly.

BTW - it appears that when I create a new mount point on the 3rd partition (I called it "music") I am unable to write directories or files remotely via sftp - I get "permission denied". I recall a similar issue with USB drives formatted with FAT which was fixed in 3.2 I believe. In this case, though, my 3rd partition on the SD card is ext4.

So still looking for a way around the permission problem.
    Last edited by wtnh; 2017-12-07 at 13:00.

This is probably the best place to start

http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html
    rmac321, also if just interested in the boot process, try looking at the boot diagnostics.

[Main] page in [Beta] mode > [Diagnostics] > [Boot]

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    BTW - it appears that when I create a new mount point on the 3rd partition (I called it "music") I am unable to write directories or files remotely via sftp - I get "permission denied". I recall a similar issue with USB drives formatted with FAT which was fixed in 3.2 I believe. In this case, though, my 3rd partition on the SD card is ext4.

So still looking for a way around the permission problem.
    Hi wtnh,

I don't know the windows way.

Adding a new partition is a similar process to enlarging the second partition, just don't delete the second partition and use the appropriate sector values.

Gerrelt describes it here and there is also a README on the first piCore partition.

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wo...r-on-tinycore/

WARNING: backup SD card if you have important stuff on it!

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    I am running the latest version piCoreplayer on a Raspberry pi 3 with jivelite. It is connected to my network through ethernet via a wi-fi AC750 bridge. If I play an album proper it will play straight through without any issues. If I play a playlist with songs (99% ALAC) from different directories I get occasional buffering and at times it won't advance to the next track automatically. The same playlists play fine on my Squeezebox Touch and Boom. Is there a modification or setting that would correct this?

I am using the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 with 2.5A Micro USB Power Supply using a Amzer Convert Micro USB to Dual Micro USB Twin Y Splitter Charging Handy Data Cable if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
    hi stereoptic,

I don't really have an answer, but I was wondering if it was an issue when the file is getting converted differently for the devices.

Maybe ALAC is getting converted to FLAC on LMS for the Touch but not for pCP (squeezelite).

regards
    Greg

update to 3.22

Hi,
    I just noticed that there is 3.22 update.

Trying to Update piCorePlayer without removing the SD card but getting the following error:-

[ INFO ] You are downloading piCorePlayer3.22
    [ INFO ] You are currently using piCorePlayer3.20
    [ INFO ] Boot partition size required: 25650. Boot partition size is: 25600

Status
    BOOT disk is not large enough, upgrade not possible

looks like i need to resize boot partition size,any pointers please,TIA

Not sure if this is the pointer you wanted but........

Name:  2017-12-07 22_23_24-pCP - Main Page.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  196.6 KB

Pcp Needs to be in at least "Advanced" mode
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    rmac321, also if just interested in the boot process, try looking at the boot diagnostics.
    [Main] page in [Beta] mode > [Diagnostics] > [Boot]
    Eureka!
    Paul, The tiny core book is fascinating - which means you are now responsible for me finding something new to steal time away from the honeydews. I hadn't actually considered using piCore/tinycore for other projects until looking through that book and realizing the potential for so many projects! So many ideas - so little time! The udhcpd hint got me to busybox which has all kinds of useful info. What we want here is the client - udhcpc.

Greg, I had forgotten about the diagnostics page once I finally obtained a crippled network connection. That is a really nice summary of all the pertinent info all in one place. That gave me the last clue and I now have made this thing boot up, enable the enc28j60, handshake with the router and move on through the rest of the process.

The sd card is such a mess from all the experimenting, that I want to do a fresh install and document everything from the beginning. Once I have a good clean path, I'll update for those interested.

Thanks again, you guys rock!