However, I then tried to do the same on my laptop. With a completely new git clone it has twice failed as below. I installed libtolua++5.1-dev just in case it would help, but no joy. I haven't changed any code at all.

configure: creating ./config.status
 /bin/bash ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: src/config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing depfiles commands
tolua++   -n jive -o src/ui/lua_jiveui.c src/ui/lua_jiveui.pkg
/bin/bash: tolua++: command not found
Makefile:1236: recipe for target 'src/ui/lua_jiveui.c' failed
make[1]: *** [src/ui/lua_jiveui.c] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/me/Programs/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay'
Makefile.linux26:258: recipe for target 'squeezeplay' failed
make: *** [squeezeplay] Error 2
Some may ask why I want to try squeezeplay again (after many years without). Having used my mobile away from hone (using ssh with a public key to connect to my home system) I wanted to be able to use my laptop in the same way, and squeezeplay seemed like it might be a more convenient mechanism than squeezelite and a web browser over public networks. I tested building my own on my (much faster) desktop, and having got that to work did the same on my laptop. I thought it would be better to recompile on the localmachine in case there were different libraries installed that might cause problems just copying over the built system.