Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleMonkey View Post
    Question to anyone who's done it: I know flac-taggers exist but any recommendations for command line tools to edit tags (Windows preferably)? (I'm still thinking about creating a meta-data database of info, then using scripts to update tags where necessary.)
    The official Windows FLAC download includes metaflac.exe, which lets you add tags at the command line.

It's been a while since I've used it, but I believe that by default tags are added rather than modified. So a change to an existing tag will require deletion of that tag followed by re-adding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I would also try to be as "standard" as possible .

bending the tags to much to suit one playback application can make more work for you down the road .
    I concur. I would use the "real" tags (even if you have to make them up and they are not supported yet) and just bend the supported tags. For example, a tag called work. With this, I can "bend" the title the way I want, like "composer: work - movement (artist)". If in some point in the future, I want the title to be something different, I can just use mp3tag to change it, without destroying any tag.

Hence why i just use the most basic of tags so that i find stuff .
    And stopped before i put to much work into it (when i retire i dont need a stamp collection )

Also why tags is really not enough , especially for classical.
    There are context outside of the file , your library , the music in general etc.

Thats why competitors like ROON tries another aproach , they just takes your tags as a "hint" and overlays their own database agregated from diffrent sources.
    and top that off with diffrent filters search options links and relations between musicians and more.
    But guess what, they also have problems with classical
    Well, I think with two or even three tags more it would be massive game changer. I think, of course, of "work", some artist / year hybrid aka recording tag and one spare tag for special purposes. Occasion maybe.

What I'm missing is more filters (=native support for tags like "work") and the possibility to apply more than one filter (=sub menus like custombrowse, but not relying on a second database, natively supported).

Just to start the "work" is the thing to start with not the album, normal tagging goes wrong directly .
    Classical music was inveted before recording media . Many classical albums I have have the main work that sells the CD then some 15 min "filler" with the same orchestra just to fill upp the CD.
    I do know what you mean, but you only have to look at Beethoven's symphonies. Most of the time you will find two of them on one CD (exception of course is the ninth). You don't have "fillers" but the same problem with two works on one disc. It really gets nasty with Vivaldi concertos, as there are a lot of them and they are short.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.08 (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Interesting posts, I esp liked RonM's as well, which if I understood it correctly emulates my thinking, which is to K.I.S.S. b/c ultimately that's more practical / pragmatic.

I have some classical but conform it's tagging to my other music, so I won't go into that since I don't think that appeals to most here, but I will say this:

I love FLAC, but I now use ALAC b/c FLAC is not recognized natively by Apple. (Why use FLAC since thats the case?) I also never embed art, I put it in the folder as a hidden, system file. (I realize this defeats the apple argument, but its easily worked around and listening, not looking is the point anyway).

I think my ver of RonM's approach is to use mainly the tag fields that are common to all apps and how they implement them, so that a common browsing exp of my collection is attained regardless of what software uses them.

I mainly use albumartist not only as as way to group all tracks to one CD, but also as my A-Z sorting method, meaning where i want to find it in a long list. That, along with the Genre field, basically emulates a music store's bin categories, (remember music stores?)

So essentially I try use the most minimal amount of tags that makes sense to use to fit the goal of a similar exp across all apps.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    I love FLAC, but I now use ALAC b/c FLAC is not recognized natively by Apple. (Why use FLAC since thats the case?)
    May not matter to some, but FLAC file has a built in CRC checksum. Consequently, I can run many of the various programs (e.g., TEST CONVERSION in dbpoweramp) that do a batch testing of whether I have any corrupt files. ALAC files do not contain this built-in CRC. for example, after copying a 100,000 files to a new backup drive, I can run a batch test overnight to confirm that none of the FLAC files are corrupted. I couldn't do this with ALAC. Not sure why they didn't make this part of the ALAC protocol.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

A completely valid and fair point, but for me, not one I personally worry over... I don't value crc checks over universality; still, that's a great point I didn't consider.

I actually haven't checked myself, are we sure ALAC has no crc? If not, I doubt apple will revise it unfortunately.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Iirc Apple does now support FLAC but in a clunky way.
    If you have a FLAC file in your iCloud for example you can open and play it but the music player app doesnĺt yet read them into the library.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

interesting, i didn't know that, but really of no practical use, right? most people with big FLAC collections won't upload them to icloud or have the space for it all, right? also, u'd end up maintaining two separate libraries, and they'd likely no mirror each other over time. and other apple users couldn't use it unless they were willing to do the same thing, which most won't.

its very annoying that i have to use ALAC instead of FLAC, but atm its the most pragmatic solution, if i want other people to be able to use my stuff.

Any digital file has a checksum. But not necessarily embedded in the file to be easily compared to a decoding of the file and the checksum calculated later upon decoding. I’m not an alac expert but I’ve read in many reliable places that it does not embed the CRC checksum. A pity but as you say, unlikely to change.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

To compound the alac issue the format is now “free” but not the *.m4a container format that’s the usual way that alac files are present and tagged ?

We love local oligopolies Apple has such big market impact with user lock in that they basically divide the user base and the music market forever ( they are not alone to be fair WMP was a similar mess when people actually used it , why tag wav file’s just keep a computer local database that gives the user an impression of having tags..) .

The hairy thing is that that the actual nonfree format MP3 was the only common ground for decades ( did not the patent expire )

I start my time machine and go back to the early 90’s and have a talk with the music industry... we should have flac and ogg imo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html