Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 129
  1. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,196
    Open VPN only seen as cellular
    Even when connected via wifi to a hostspot?
    (or with an alternate ovpn config that specifies the "remote" address as the router OVPN server LAN address, eg 192.168.1.1 instead of 77.16.32.250)

    If from within your own (wifi) LAN the iPhone can't reach the public address of your OVPN gateway (due to the 'hairpin' routing problem), I suspect it would send that traffic to cellular which is an external network.
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2018-02-25 at 07:14.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

  2. #112
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Even when connected via wifi to a hostspot?
    (or with an alternate ovpn config that specifies the "remote" address as the router OVPN server LAN address, eg 192.168.1.1 instead of 77.16.32.250)

    If from within your own (wifi) LAN the iPhone can't reach the public address of your OVPN gateway (due to the 'hairpin' routing problem), I suspect it would send that traffic to cellular which is an external network.
    I tested again:
    When I connect my iPhone from remote to my LMS at home via openvpn, it connects as cellular, both on WiFi and 4g/lte
    When I connect my iPhone from remote to my LMS at home via public ip/ open ports, it connects as WiFi, both on WiFi and 4g/lte
    That’s both fine with me, I just thought that iPeng would check the connection on my phone.
    But:
    When connecting via openvpn, all my iPads,Mac, iPhones work well, but my old windows7 squeezeplay laptop buffers every few seconds.
    When connecting via public ip/ open ports the windows squeezeplay works fine, as all other devices.

    So I would rather keep connecting via public ip/ open ports.
    I have put a user/password into LMS, so do you really think it’s a huge security problem with the open ports???
    Pease let me know what you honestly think of the security risks.
    Thanks
    Pommes

  3. #113
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    19,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    I have put a user/password into LMS, so do you really think it’s a huge security problem with the open ports???
    Pease let me know what you honestly think of the security risks.
    There's no known, major issue yet. But LMS has not been developed with security in mind. A lot has been added to lower the risks. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were major issues we don't know yet.
    Michael

    http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

  4. #114
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    There's no known, major issue yet. But LMS has not been developed with security in mind. A lot has been added to lower the risks. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were major issues we don't know yet.
    Thank you Michael,
    I think I will leave the ports open for now. It is just working much better than with OpenVPN and more convenient.
    The server is actually only serving audio and video files. The audio gets backuped every week, I don’t care about loosing the video.
    Pommes

  5. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,196
    (I don't understand your connection test report. Anyways.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    When connecting via openvpn, all my iPads,Mac, iPhones work well, but my old windows7 squeezeplay laptop buffers every few seconds.
    Are you using an UDP tunnel or a TCP tunnel for OpenVPN? I would think UDP works much better.
    There seems to be a Win7-specific OVPN issue with network buffer sizes: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/640
    According to bug report, setting this in the Win7 client config file:
    Code:
    sndbuf 131072
    rcvbuf 131072
    or having this in the corresponding ccd on the server side:
    Code:
    push "sndbuf 131072"
    push "rcvbuf 131072"
    could solve the issue you see with Win7.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

  6. #116
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    (I don't understand your connection test report. Anyways.)

    Are you using an UDP tunnel or a TCP tunnel for OpenVPN? I would think UDP works much better.
    There seems to be a Win7-specific OVPN issue with network buffer sizes: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/640
    According to bug report, setting this in the Win7 client config file:
    Code:
    sndbuf 131072
    rcvbuf 131072
    or having this in the corresponding ccd on the server side:
    Code:
    push "sndbuf 131072"
    push "rcvbuf 131072"
    could solve the issue you see with Win7.
    Sorry but I don’t understand that .
    I am just a user with no programming nor Linux skills.
    My router runs the OpenVPN server and I just imported the ovpn file into open vpn GUI on windows 7.
    The tunnel is udp and runs fine on Mac, iPad and iPhone

  7. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,196
    In other words, try to add
    Code:
    sndbuf 131072
    rcvbuf 131072
    in the OpenVPN configuration file of the Win7 machine and see if squeezelite works better.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

  8. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    I tested again:
    When I connect my iPhone from remote to my LMS at home via openvpn, it connects as cellular, both on WiFi and 4g/lte
    When I connect my iPhone from remote to my LMS at home via public ip/ open ports, it connects as WiFi, both on WiFi and 4g/lte
    That’s both fine with me, I just thought that iPeng would check the connection on my phone.
    But:
    When connecting via openvpn, all my iPads,Mac, iPhones work well, but my old windows7 squeezeplay laptop buffers every few seconds.
    When connecting via public ip/ open ports the windows squeezeplay works fine, as all other devices.

    So I would rather keep connecting via public ip/ open ports.
    I have put a user/password into LMS, so do you really think it’s a huge security problem with the open ports???
    Pease let me know what you honestly think of the security risks.
    Thanks
    Pommes
    Open ports are dangerous. If you can see them externally then so will others (and they will look).
    You will need to ask Pippin about why iPeng sees the openvpn connection as cellular and not wifi when it is wifi but it could be to do with the outgoing public IP that is detected i.e. if it isn't public then perhaps iPeng assumes it to be cellular. I use an SSL VPN connection on my iPhone and that seems to work correctly.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  9. #119
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    In other words, try to add
    Code:
    sndbuf 131072
    rcvbuf 131072
    in the OpenVPN configuration file of the Win7 machine and see if squeezelite works better.
    I edited my ovpn file on windows, squeezeplay still not able to play flac without buffering every few seconds.
    I stream from my satelite reciever via openvpn, and this does work a lot better after i edited the ovpn file the way you asked, so thanks for that.
    But for streaming flac with squeezeplay i will use the open ports.

  10. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    I edited my ovpn file on windows, squeezeplay still not able to play flac without buffering every few seconds.
    Mhh. FLAC or WAV take a lot of bandwidth, probably the tunnel can't keep up.
    I have used bridged OpenVPN tunnels from time to time, everything is fine for mp3/AAC/near CD-quality stuff but for hi-def or lossless I've seen issues.
    The server side uses its upload link to send the data, with asymmetric connexions (small upload/large download bandwidths) you get a bottleneck there.

    You can try adding
    Code:
    fast-io
    passtos
    comp-lzo no
    to your configs (all clients and server). It might help but probably not. The first 2 options are related to network QoS and are not portable, your linux server will probably be happy to comply but the Win machine I don't know. Use the subset that works on both sides.
    NOTE: If an option is not supported the OpenVPN process may fail. Don't change these options over the tunnel...
    The last option says to disable compression. You're sending binary data, there is nothing to compress there, so by default OpenVPN will just spend a bit of time trying to compress data before changing its mind. Just disable it.
    (In openvpn 2.4 there is a new "compress <algo>" option. The way to say "compress no" is to remove/comment the option.)
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2018-02-28 at 04:05.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •