Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129
  1. #121
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Mhh. FLAC or WAV take a lot of bandwidth, probably the tunnel can't keep up.
    I have used bridged OpenVPN tunnels from time to time, everything is fine for mp3/AAC/CD-quality stuff but for hi-def or hi-quality I've seen issues.
    The server side uses its upload link to send the data, with asymmetric connexions (small upload/large download bandwidths) you get a bottleneck there.
    High definition playback does work via open Ports on windows though, on iPad and iPhone both OpenVPN and open ports. And the video I stream from my satellite receiver via OpenVPN to windows laptop is about 10 times higher bit rate then FLAC from LMS. So it must be some kind of issue between squeeze play and open VPN on windows which makes the bottleneck.

  2. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    So it must be some kind of issue between squeeze play and open VPN on windows which makes the bottleneck.
    Right. Past the 3 openvpn options I've described just above, I don't know what to do next.
    I suppose the idea could be to increase buffering in the player, but I'm not sure how to do that properly with squeezelite (?).
    Also take a look at your LMS settings for players, perhaps the preferences for that Win squeezelite are not set the same way as the others.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

  3. #123
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Right. Past the 3 openvpn options I've described just above, I don't know what to do next.
    I suppose the idea could be to increase buffering in the player, but I'm not sure how to do that properly with squeezelite (?).
    Also take a look at your LMS settings for players, perhaps the preferences for that Win squeezelite are not set the same way as the others.
    Don’t worry I will just use the open ports for squeezeplay. It is working fine with the open ports. But the modification of ovpn conf which you told me to do definitely increased the streaming ability via open VPN for my video from satellite receiver, so thanks again

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,194
    Personally I would kill the idea of streaming flac to mobile devices and just bandwidth limit the client in LMS. 320kb MP3 is undoubtedly good enough when out and about. I would guess the limitation is insufficient pre buffering, whereas internet video players would be more aware of the requirements for this.

    Flac is as you say about 900kbit, maybe just over 1mbit so shouldn't really be a big issue. Note that HD video can be streamed in about 1.8mbit and still be bearable. Probably less, but still more than a flac stream.



    Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

  5. #125
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Personally I would kill the idea of streaming flac to mobile devices and just bandwidth limit the client in LMS. 320kb MP3 is undoubtedly good enough when out and about. I would guess the limitation is insufficient pre buffering, whereas internet video players would be more aware of the requirements for this.

    Flac is as you say about 900kbit, maybe just over 1mbit so shouldn't really be a big issue. Note that HD video can be streamed in about 1.8mbit and still be bearable. Probably less, but still more than a flac stream.



    Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    For mobile use on iphone i use transcoded stream of 192kbit.
    For remote use with laptop connected to highend gear or good headphones i rather use flac. its just around 800kbit.
    The videos i stream from my sat reciever use a bandwith of 8-14mbit!
    No issue so far, even with openvpn. as i said: only the win7 squeezeplay when used via openvpn doesnt do, but streams flac when not using openvpn

  6. #126
    I gave up on remotely accessing my LMS after I inadvertently left the ports open when the vpn no longer worked. I had some clown playing stuff on my system. Nowadays I have a backup on a wifi enabled WD Passport drive that runs its own copy of LMS. I use that to play locally to mobile devices or a Raspberry Pi.

    Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

    last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

  7. #127
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I gave up on remotely accessing my LMS after I inadvertently left the ports open when the vpn no longer worked. I had some clown playing stuff on my system. Nowadays I have a backup on a wifi enabled WD Passport drive that runs its own copy of LMS. I use that to play locally to mobile devices or a Raspberry Pi.

    Robert
    well, that sucks, some clown taking control of your system.
    what did the clown do? was he able to delete anything or mess your LMS completely?
    did you have password protection on your lms?

  8. #128
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    19,986

    IMPORTANT: Stop forwarding your LMS ports to theinternet!

    > what did the clown do?

    See the very first posting in this thread.

    --

    Michael

  9. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,196
    I backtracked on that thread (should be working instead...) and I want to say having a password protecting settings from remote accesses will be (is?) a great addition.
    To those with routed VPNs complaining about the extra password, I say use a bridged network, it makes player discovery work

    In passing, I don't know the state of TOTP/QR on perl, but in my opinion a time-based password is a concept end-users grasp easily. Downloading an app and flashing a QR code is somehow an easier proposition than choosing and remembering yet another password, hard to guess please.
    It would be probably better to have a short, volatile 6-digit password protect the server rather than the usual "passw0rd" or "lms1234"...
    There are plenty of free TOTP clients for mobile, desktop or the command line.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •