Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

24/96 FLAC files streamed directly to Transporter not working properly

I recently downloaded some 24/96 FLAC files that I intended to play through my Logitech Transporter. I have a couple other Squeezeboxes, as well.

Initially I got sound, although the DAC reported 48 khz, rather than 96 khz. Logitech Media Server correctly identified the files as 24/96, but the currently playing file showed "converted to 705 kbps FLAC".

Then I realized that the Transporter was synchronized with the other Squeezeboxes in the house, and I thought that perhaps LMS was downsampling to the least common denominator. I know that the Transporter can handle 24/96 input, so I disconnected the synchronization. Now I don't get any sound through the system connected to the Transporter with 24/96 files, but it works fine with 16/44 files.

What do I need to do to get this working properly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Michael

Some information about my setup:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1487249278 @ Sat Feb 18 04:01:00 UTC 2017
    Hostname: XXX.com
    Server IP Address: 192.168.2.20
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Red Hat - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.10.1 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 6

Player Model: Transporter
    Player Type: transporter
    Firmware: 87
    Player IP Address: 192.168.2.84
    Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:10:18:12
    Voltage: 121

Name:  transporter_LMS_audio_settings.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  108.8 KB

As a follow-up to my problems getting 24/96 FLAC files to play on the Transporter, I separated synchronization from the Transporter and the other devices (Squeezebox Classics) in my house, and I'm able to get sound out of the transporter, and the DAC shows 96 kHz input, but the sound is all distorted.

Based on other posts I've found, I tried reducing the compression level of the FLAC files (using 'flac -0') and still, same effect. So it's actually worse now than if LMS simply converted all of the high-resolution files to 16/44 prior to sending it to the Transporter. At least that way I'd get music.

So I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to get the Transporter working with 24/96 FLAC files?
    2) If not, how can I force LMS to convert high-resolution files to 16/44 prior to sending it to the transporter?

Michael

Resample one of the problem files to 16/44 FLAC compression 5 and add to library just to confirm it's not the file.

Quote Originally Posted by mphelpsmd View Post
    1) Is it possible to get the Transporter working with 24/96 FLAC files?
    Yes, I have 24/96 FLAC files I play to my Transporter. They work fine.

edit: if you play the files on something like foobar2000, they play correctly?
    Last edited by garym; 2017-07-01 at 16:25.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I resampled some of the high-resolution FLAC files to 16/44 and they play fine through the Transporter. Standalone PC applications can play the 24/96 FLAC files fine, just not the Transporter. I continue to get severe distortion and stop after only a few seconds so I don't hurt my speakers.

I even tried using dBpoweramp to convert downloaded 24/96 AIFF files to FLAC files without compression, and this still doesn't work through the Transporter.

24/44 FLAC files work fine, however, so the problem seems to be with the higher sampling rates, rather than the 24 vs 16 bits.

Any other suggestions?

Michael

Not sure it will help, but can't hurt to do a Xilinx reset of the transporter.

Remove power, point remote at TP pressing 1 button while restoring power. Youcan release the 1 key when the display shows Xilinx reset...
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify