Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    How about using Powerline-adapters, for example Netgear?
    I use 6 of them instead of ethernet cables all over the house for years now and they work flawlessly. The better ones nowadays have an AC outlet, speed up to 1200Mbit, powersaving and 2 Gigabit ports. Solves all the problems with rooms that are out of reach. Just plug one in, sync with the master and put them where you need it. The WiFi-adapters also replace bridges when you want another hotspot in the cellar or garden or where is bad reception for your iPad. Only drawback: they constantly draw some current.
    2xPi3-7"+pCP+LMS | Transporter | 2xTouch | 2xClassic | 2xBoom | 2xRadio | iPeng | [2xOdroid U3+m2p+LMS]

Quote Originally Posted by bluetdi View Post
    Only drawback: they constantly draw some current.
    And put a lot of HF noise into the mains.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Wi-Fi defence?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    No worries since the cable will be run in a crawl space below the main floor of the house and not in the attic, aka loft space, above the main floor.

And I stand by my assertion that a wired connection, aka Ethernet, beats a wireless connection, aka Wi-Fi, for any and all purposes, any day.
    Hi Ralph!

Glad to hear that you won't need the cold showers! They used to make my friend Mick, the plumber, really grumpy (& he could be a belligerent sod at times too, lol) - it was best to keep out of his way for a day after he'd been working in someone's attic .

We're agreed that Ethernet is more robust than Wi-Fi, but if in a given situation the Wi-Fi consistently delivers all the required 0's & 1's in a sufficiently timely manner as it did in my former set-up for years, it is not then inferior. And my significant other in those days had this thing about cables...

All I'm saying is that Wi-Fi has its uses - like avoiding divorce proceedings .

Dave

And I stand by my assertion that a wired connection, aka Ethernet, beats a wireless connection, aka Wi-Fi, for any and all purposes, any day.
    I think that is a bit too much of an absolutist statement. If wifi provides enough reliable bandwidth, the portability it provides is a major asset - so for music at a garden party, Wifi beats a wired connection any (sunny) day.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    I think that is a bit too much of an absolutist statement. If wifi provides enough reliable bandwidth, the portability it provides is a major asset - so for music at a garden party, Wifi beats a wired connection any (sunny) day.
    I'm reminded of the light-hearted statement: "All generalizations are false, even this one." ;-)

Not everybody has the problem, but wireless connections can very resistant to grounding problems.

Personal audio sourced via a LAN is pretty darn inconvenient if wired.

With everything being said about Ethernet versus wi-fi I must confess that I have been using my Transporter via wi-fi as my main music source for my "big rig" for over 10 years so I guess that wi-fi does work pretty darn good even with the occasional microwave interference
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Aside...

With everything being said about Ethernet versus wi-fi I must confess that I have been using my Transporter via wi-fi as my main music source for my "big rig" for over 10 years so I guess that wi-fi does work pretty darn good even with the occasional microwave interference
    Ralph, do you have your Transporter inside your microwave??

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Ralph, do you have your Transporter inside your microwave??

Dave
    Only when listening to this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Kudos

Only when listening to this:
    Cool!

Dave

Replace the micro , only bad ones leak rf , they are usually better than that .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html