Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by didjean View Post
    hi there,

Always have dreamt to get an original Transporter (not the SE one)... I have just bought a second hand 7yo Transporter for 450 EUR. It should arrive soon home.

Now, is this expensive and will it worth its price?

I currently have a Touch linked digitally to a Cambridge Audio DAC linked analog to my amp.
    Am I upgrading my system? Will I hear a difference hooking the Transporter to my Amp via analog cables?

Thx for your feedback!
    The Transporter is above and beyond the Touch as far as sonics are concerned. And I'm not one of those whimsical, voodoo, higher-end is better kind of people. (In fact, I really wanted my Touch to win the shootout...I much preferred its low profile and GUI)

S/hand "Trans-Nav" Knob Transporter - reliability & current value

Always have dreamt to get an original Transporter (not the SE one)... I have just bought a second hand 7yo Transporter for 450 EUR. It should arrive soon home.

Now, is this expensive and will it worth its price?
    Hi didjean!

I still have a Slim Devices branded Transporter which I bought off eBay in 2009 for about ú800 - it could be as much as 12 years old now, I've used it extensively most days for the last 8 years & the sound quality is indistinguishable from an unused SE model I got from the US earlier this year (for about ú540 delivered).

I've also recently bought a s/hand Logitech branded "with knob" Transporter off eBay in the UK for about ú450 this year, so I would say that you got a good enough deal.

I think that you'll like it. Enjoy!

Dave

I am now a happy owner of a Transporter. This represents the Icing on the cake on my Squeezebox collection of devices :-).
    I only tried it for an hour. This is definitely good compared to my Touch and Cambridge DACMagic :-).
    Can't wait to be back home to further test... :-)
    Transporter, Touch, SB3, SB2, Duet, Booms, Radios --- Ipeng & Material --- LMS 8.0.0 - 1588799628 on Pi4 4GB - Max2Play --- Qobuz

Your s/h Transporter

I am now a happy owner of a Transporter. This represents the Icing on the cake on my Squeezebox collection of devices :-).
    I only tried it for an hour. This is definitely good compared to my Touch and Cambridge DACMagic :-).
    Can't wait to be back home to further test... :-)
    Hi didjean!

How are you getting on with your Transporter?

I recently collected the one I bought off eBay 3 months ago, after finally getting my sports car back on its wheels - & just in time, as it turned out, the vendors were moving to Texas for 2 years at the end of the week & letting out their UK home!

They did seem like nice folks, so I'll put them not telling me about any of this down to their being fiercely busy - I did wonder what would have happened to it though: I'd paid in full when I won the auction so it was legally my property...

No matter! I've got it now, & having successfully married off my #1 daughter last Saturday (my younger one got married in 2016) & also having somewhat recovered from the sheer emotional relief of not being primarily responsible for either of them now after only 30 years, I finally hooked it up today.

Needless to say it works perfectly on both digital & analogue outputs & sounds indistinguishable from the 2 unused SE's I bought from the US earlier this year (which will shortly be heading off to my daughters' gaffs) & the even older Slim Devices branded one which I bought s/hand off eBay in 2009 & have used more or less daily ever since.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Thanks!

A "NEW IN BOX Logitech Transporter SE Network Music Player (Without Transnav Knob)" is now on it's way to my home!
    Well the Transporter arrived a few weeks ago and has been operating flawlessly in my system since its arrival. I also upgraded my wi-fi router and so far so good. With the new router in place just about all of those annoying wi-fi glitches that reek havoc on one's media streaming are gone except for the microwave interferring with 24 bit and greater than 48kHz file playback.

And as an added bonus I managed to get an all black Transporter which matches the other black components in my system much better than the silver Transporter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Wi-Fi woes

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Well the Transporter arrived a few weeks ago and has been operating flawlessly in my system since its arrival. I also upgraded my wi-fi router and so far so good. With the new router in place just about all of those annoying wi-fi glitches that reek havoc on one's media streaming are gone except for the microwave interferring with 24 bit and greater than 48kHz file playback.

And as an added bonus I managed to get an all black Transporter which matches the other black components in my system much better than the silver Transporter.
    Hi Ralph!

Your kit looks very tidy - I prefer the all-black colour scheme myself & actually have the display blank out completely after a short delay from using the remote: I have a couple of synced Touches near my listening position (but out of my eye-line) to display album art & current track details if I turn my head to look.

Would it be impractical for you to use a wired Ethernet connection to your router? I have both my Synology NAS (running LMS under Linux) & my Transporter wired into my router & it is a more robust & interference-resistant option than the admittedly convenient Wi-Fi.

Obviously this may not be practical if your router is in a different room or if your significant other hates cables (which in my own experience appears to be an almost universal phenomenon... ).

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Ralph!

Your kit looks very tidy - I prefer the all-black colour scheme myself & actually have the display blank out completely after a short delay from using the remote: I have a couple of synced Touches near my listening position (but out of my eye-line) to display album art & current track details if I turn my head to look.

Would it be impractical for you to use a wired Ethernet connection to your router? I have both my Synology NAS (running LMS under Linux) & my Transporter wired into my router & it is a more robust & interference-resistant option than the admittedly convenient Wi-Fi.

Obviously this may not be practical if your router is in a different room or if your significant other hates cables (which in my own experience appears to be an almost universal phenomenon... ).

Dave
    I totally agree with you about wi-fi versus wired unfortunately both my Transporter and one SB Touch located in the bedroom are not in an area of my home that I can easily run Ethernet cables. I much prefer using wired Ethernet whenever possible since it provides for "a more robust & interference-resistant" experience. Maybe this autumn I will spend some time in the crawl space of my house running Ethernet cable to these two rooms.
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Last.fm

I have a Transporter in my what was in theory my main location, wired via ethernet to the router. I also have a Touch in a secondary listening location, which turns out to be used as much as the Transporter. The Touch uses wifi.

I've noticed absolutely no difference in reliability of the connection. No microwave interference, which is undoubtedly at least partly because the microwave is some distance from the touch. But i've also used wifi for listening to the system through my mobile, just a few feet from the microwave, and haven't noticed any problems there either.

As to sound quality of the connection, differences in hardware aside, bits are bits, as they say/

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I have a Transporter in my what was in theory my main location, wired via ethernet to the router. I also have a Touch in a secondary listening location, which turns out to be used as much as the Transporter. The Touch uses wifi.

I've noticed absolutely no difference in reliability of the connection. No microwave interference, which is undoubtedly at least partly because the microwave is some distance from the touch. But i've also used wifi for listening to the system through my mobile, just a few feet from the microwave, and haven't noticed any problems there either.

As to sound quality of the connection, differences in hardware aside, bits are bits, as they say/

R.
    Hi Ron!

For many years, I used my Windows laptop (on a Wi-Fi link) as my LMS driver with my music files on a 2TB external drive plugged into one of its USB ports. I also used the Wi-Fi option on my Transporter (which admittedly is within a couple of feet on my router). I too experienced no reliability problems & no interference from my microwave or anything else.

It was only when I acquired my Synology NAS (which does have Wi-Fi, & is also positioned only about 3 feet from my router) that I switched to Ethernet & thought that I might as well connect my Transporter the same way. I've used the other 2 Ethernet ports on my router for my Panasonic DMR-BWT800 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder & my 46" Sony Bravia TV both of which support 3D, an effect I find very effective & am sorry to see being abandoned in the year-on-year marketing frenzy! At least a reasonable number of 3D Blu-Ray discs are available & they are now reasonably affordable since it's no longer the current fad. Frankly the internet connection on my TV is now practically useless (the BBC have even stopped supporting its iPlayer app!) so I'm going to abandon it altogether (Wi-Fi was a typically expensive Sony add-on which I didn't buy... ) & use that port for a 2010-vintage 27" iMac which I recently acquired. My PS3 (which is also right by the router) works perfectly well on Wi-Fi & still has a working iPlayer app. Obviously the Panasonic gizmo & the PS3 are connected via HDMI to the TV. My Epson printer is rock solid on Wi-Fi also, that's about 10 feet away from the router, but still at the far end of my lounge.

I suspect that the critical factors are the quality of the router (& your microwave!) & the proximity of your kit to the router & of both to potential sources of interference, taking account of any solid internal walls between. I have my supplied fibre-optic Virgin Media router switched to modem-only mode with a decent dual-band Netgear router wired into it. There is a solid breeze-block wall between my lounge & my kitchen, & my gear & my metal-cased Panasonic microwave are at the opposite ends of their respective rooms from each other, probably around 30 feet apart (with the wall in-between).

Incidentally, I would strongly recommend Ralph to pay a keen young chap to do the crawling in his loft-space: the needles from the glass-fibre roof insulation get into your skin & can only be effectively removed by a prolonged cold shower. If you use warm water, they simply get further into your pores! Just saying...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Incidentally, I would strongly recommend Ralph to pay a keen young chap to do the crawling in his loft-space: the needles from the glass-fibre roof insulation get into your skin & can only be effectively removed by a prolonged cold shower. If you use warm water, they simply get further into your pores! Just saying...
    No worries since the cable will be run in a crawl space below the main floor of the house and not in the attic, aka loft space, above the main floor.

And I stand by my assertion that a wired connection, aka Ethernet, beats a wireless connection, aka Wi-Fi, for any and all purposes, any day.
    Last.fm