Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    #4 Silver & Black with silver buttons
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F161449523841

#5 Silver with black buttons
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162476402796

#2 "All Silver" is the #5 above with the #4 above buttons - exactly like this I believe:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163681711951
    Thanks! He also sells #2 with knob for £300 more but only as a US seller, the ones above are listed on EBay UK as well.

Trouble is the #2 with the knob will look so much better sat above or below my Arcam DT91 DAB/FM tuner which also has a central silver knob:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.ph...2.html?start=5

Unless it turns into knob overload (no sniggering at the back).
    Last edited by Owen Smith; 2020-03-10 at 17:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    For the KNOB version I agree, the silver looks best. Even the silver-tone handles look good on that version. For the SE I prefer the black because of the black 'plate' that ALMOST matches the rest of the unit. With the silver body and silver face units, the black plate doesn't look right.
    Agreed. The question is whether I'm prepared to shell out £300 more for a knob I'll probably never use.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    Agreed. The question is whether I'm prepared to shell out £300 more for a knob I'll probably never use.
    Exactly!
    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

For those who are new to the Transporter or just bought one, make sure the volume is set to max or better yet, in the Player/Audio settings make sure Volume Control is set to: Output Level Is Fixed At 100%. Tonight I discovered that lowering the volume control really neuters the sound.

I couldn't figure out why my one Transporter sounded better than the 2nd unit I have. The 2nd unit had a much wider soundstage. Then I forgot I was messing with the volume control of my 1st Transporter and had it set to -8.00db. Once I brought it up, the soundstage went back to normal.

So if you're using the Transporter as a preamp with volume control, well there's not much you can do. If you're turning the Transporter's sound down because your amp/preamp is too loud and you need to compensate, then use the internal attenuation feature. There are jumpers inside that let you go down to -30db. Fortunately, this does not have the same effect as lowering the volume, so the sound quality remains the same. Unfortunately, the attenuation jumpers don't work with balanced outs.

EDIT... Turning the volume down a little won't hurt the SQ too much. Just don't go too far.
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2020-03-11 at 14:20.

Thanks @Fizbin - good to know!
    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

The picture here of the all silver version looks gorgeous. I love the light reflection on the turned front face of the knob, it looks exactly like the metal knobs on vintage 1970s hifif.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/tes...-music-player/

So is there any advantage to be had over an SB3 if using the digital output?

I always thought they were sharp units, with the rack appropriate form factor and the dual VFDs. But for me, $1k was a bit much to chase bleeding edge quality, given the wide range in the quality of source material.

The vast majority of my listening now is via Spotty.

I love mine

I bought it from this dealer and he'll probably let it go for 400.
    The DAC in the Transporter is very nice, I like it better than the Touch. I was looking at used Touch units but decided to
    get this. If all you use is the digital output you might be better off with a SB3. I like the DAC in the Duet better than the
    SB3 but still will use a separate DAC with either of them.
    Can't beat that VFD display....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-...UAAOSw9mFWLvKR
    Last edited by Tex; 2020-06-27 at 13:20.
    (1) Pi 3 w/ HifiBerry Digi + Pro, piCorePlayer 6.1.0, LMS 8.0.0, WD usb drive for Music files
    (1) Touch, (1) Transporter, (1) Duet
    QLogitechMediaServer on QNAP TS-853a

Just to resurrect this thread, there are some new transporters now being shipped from the US for £355 + £95 shipping.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...es+transporter

Do you think these are legit? Would there be extra import costs? Is it a good deal? Aren't they supposed to have a central control knob?
    Last edited by jezbo; 2020-07-13 at 09:06.
    muso developer
    3 x SB3, 3 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, Liv Juke VortexBox LMS
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    Just to resurrect this thread, there are some new transporters now being shipped from the US for £355 + £95 shipping.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...es+transporter

Do you think these are legit? Would there be extra import costs? Is it a good deal? Aren't they supposed to have a central control knob?
    Later versions had no central control knob. Logitech had all the parts to make a batch, but didn't have the control knob, so it just has a "cover"where the knob would have been. I have an original Transporter and one of these without a knob (as a backup). And by the way, even the one *with* the knob, I haven't touched the knob in over 10 years, so really not needed.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify