Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    Ahh - okay - thanks Gary! Was hoping to use my second Shanti LPS on it...

P.S. I'm assuming this will be controllable by iPeng like the Touch and Duet/Boom...? Anyone with a Transport use iPeng with it?
    yep, I use iPeng. iPeng works with any squeezebox, or virtual squeezebox (squeezelite, etc.).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    The power supply for the Transporter is internal. Here's a lengthy thread that I believe towards the end it talks about a replacement option since the original power supply is NLA.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...en-Transporter
    That thread reveals that the power to the VFDs is permanently on even when the Transporter is in standby, consuming 2 x 800mA at 5V. This seems excessive. If I turned the Transporter off at the mains when not in use, how long would it take to power back on?

Approximately 10 to 15 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by karlek View Post
    Approximately 10 to 15 seconds
    I can live with that. It would be on wired ethernet to a gigabit switch so network delays should be insignificant.

Of course by turning it off I would be thermal cycling it. But leaving it on appears to cause the Transporter to run rather hot inside due to that display PSU that people report failing, and running so hot all the time isn't good for longevity either. The heat certainly means I would want it on the top of the stack if dimensions allow that.

How deep is a Transporter front to back?

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    There are actually five variations of the SE.

1) All Black
    2) All Silver with Silver Buttons
    3) All Silver with Black Buttons
    4) Silver Face with Silver buttons
    5) Silver Face with Black buttons

My favs are #1 and #4.
    Having looked at pictures, the Transporter has a very retro feel with the round corners, grab handles and the VU meters on the display. The black doesn't work so well for the retro look for me. Silver face with silver buttons looks much more in keeping with the rest of the design. What I can't find pictures for online is the difference between your #2 and #4, personally I think #2 would look better on top of my silver DAB/FM tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    The power supply for the Transporter is internal. Here's a lengthy thread that I believe towards the end it talks about a replacement option since the original power supply is NLA.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...en-Transporter
    Thanks @w3wilkes - good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fas...3807182&sr=8-1. You'll need the nuts as well. I got them from Home Depot but I'm not sure what size they are.
    Awesome - thanks @Fizbin.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yep, I use iPeng. iPeng works with any squeezebox, or virtual squeezebox (squeezelite, etc.).
    Thanks Gary - yes I had assumed this was the case, but you know what the say, "Assumption is the MOAFUs"! Thought I'd better check just due to the Transporter's idiosyncrasies compared to the other Squeezebox products - and if I'm going to fork our NZ$1,000 for one of the ones on EBay want to be doubly sure!
    Last edited by Mycenius; 2020-03-11 at 12:37. Reason: typo
    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Unused Transporter SE's on eBay.com

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    What I can't find pictures for online is the difference between your #2 and #4, personally I think #2 would look better on top of my silver DAB/FM tuner.
    #4 Silver & Black with silver buttons
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F161449523841

#5 Silver with black buttons
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162476402796

#2 "All Silver" is the #5 above with the #4 above buttons - exactly like this I believe:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163681711951
    Last edited by Mycenius; 2020-03-10 at 12:31. Reason: typo/text correction
    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

That thread reveals that the power to the VFDs is permanently on even when the Transporter is in standby, consuming 2 x 800mA at 5V. This seems excessive...
    ...Of course by turning it off I would be thermal cycling it. But leaving it on appears to cause the Transporter to run rather hot inside due to that display PSU that people report failing, and running so hot all the time isn't good for longevity either. The heat certainly means I would want it on the top of the stack if dimensions allow that.
    If you are going to be using it every day leaving it on may be the lesser of the two evils?

Most people here leave their Transporters on 24/7, and the units are still operating after a decade or more. The only issue for some was the common PSU issue, which can easily be swapped. In the Player/Display settings make sure Power Off Brightness is set to 0 (Dark).

With that said, I personally turn the unit off when I'm not using it. (I'll leave it on for the remainder of the day and turn it off at night) I use a switch on my power strip to do that. I have very few tracks in my LMS directory so as long as LMS is running before I turn the Transporter on, it connects instantly.

Having looked at pictures, the Transporter has a very retro feel with the round corners, grab handles and the VU meters on the display. The black doesn't work so well for the retro look for me. Silver face with silver buttons looks much more in keeping with the rest of the design. What I can't find pictures for online is the difference between your #2 and #4, personally I think #2 would look better on top of my silver DAB/FM tuner.
    For the KNOB version I agree, the silver looks best. Even the silver-tone handles look good on that version. For the SE I prefer the black because of the black 'plate' that ALMOST matches the rest of the unit. With the silver body and silver face units, the black plate doesn't look right.