Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    If you're technical, we've got an extensive squeeze-alexa HOWTO. It's not easy (but I'm automating more and more), and quite a few people have got this set up now.
    Wow thanks nickb

I think this a little above my tech level.
    Shame I would love to get this working.
    Are there any future plans for an installer for any of the server side?
    All the best
    ------------------------------------
    2x SB3 - Version: 7.5.4 QNAP TS251A 8GB 2x3TB for LMS and loads of other stuff. 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
    Firmware 4.3.3 - Windows 10.

+1 !!

Quote Originally Posted by sharper9 View Post
    Wow thanks nickb

Quote Originally Posted by sharper9 View Post
    Wow thanks nickb

There's too much manual intervention required to do a fully automated installation from what I could follow, particularly on the AWS side. I would say a lot of the complexity is just knowing how to navigate your way around AWS and get everything "prepped" to ultimately run the deploy script. The installation detail updates have come a long way to make this all easier to follow, but ultimately it still requires some experience w/ linux as well as some general technical skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
    There's too much manual intervention required to do a fully automated installation from what I could follow, particularly on the AWS side. I would say a lot of the complexity is just knowing how to navigate your way around AWS and get everything "prepped" to ultimately run the deploy script. The installation detail updates have come a long way to make this all easier to follow, but ultimately it still requires some experience w/ linux as well as some general technical skills.
    Is there a way to use My media on Win 7 VM on the QNAP?
    All the best
    ------------------------------------
    2x SB3 - Version: 7.5.4 QNAP TS251A 8GB 2x3TB for LMS and loads of other stuff. 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
    Firmware 4.3.3 - Windows 10.

Been away for a while and now I see that there has been some great progress here, nice work.

I┤m running the version from July (not MQTT), is there any point of upgrading and if so, what are the steps?
    A bit afraid to break my setup

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Been away for a while and now I see that there has been some great progress here, nice work.
    Thanks!

I┤m running the version from July (not MQTT), is there any point of upgrading and if so, what are the steps?
    Probably not much point yet if you've got it working already. Some minor functional tweaks but most of the work has been in expanding the docs, the automated build process, supporting more servers, translations and adding / improving MQTT as a transport. Keep an eye on the issues list and the release notes I guess.

A bit afraid to break my setup
    Actually my own build-redeploy-test cycle is down to under 20 seconds, so it's definitely possible, but only using some of the tooling (as above) I added in the meantime...

I thought I might try (again) to wrap my head around this project but I have a maybe naive question: If I decide to try to do the MQTT set up, and since I really have no knowledge about AWS, what does it cost to use that service with Amazon? Is there a cost? Monthly? Annually?

Thanks for helping an old guy who is probably a little in over my head ..

Quote Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post
    I thought I might try (again) to wrap my head around this project but I have a maybe naive question: If I decide to try to do the MQTT set up, and since I really have no knowledge about AWS, what does it cost to use that service with Amazon? Is there a cost? Monthly? Annually?
    Amazon offer a fairly "generous" free tier, and if you're using just Lambdas and MQTT (as here), I'm fairly confident this should cost you either nothing or much less than a dollar a month, but I haven't done an in-depth analysis

Thanks for helping an old guy who is probably a little in over my head ..
    No worries. And in my experience - that's the fastest way to learn!

Thanks. With that link, I found some options on the "Always Free" tier. They list "Database AWS DynamoDB" "Compute AWS Lambda" "Mobile Amazon SNS" "Developer Tools Amazon Cloudwatch" "Business Productivity Amazon Chime" and a few others. They range from 25GB per month, to 1MILLION requests per month, Unlimited, etc. I'm surprised they don't have "Alexa" as a category to make it easier. I don't know which I should choose.

Nice to see there is a free tier. Not that I thought the charge would be excessive, but it just seems all of this Prime/ Netflix/ streaming services/ satellite monthly charges, etc it all adds up. Trying to downsize lately on paying for services that I just don't use that much.
    Last edited by NFLnut; 2019-05-29 at 08:35.

Nice I didn't expect this to be possible.

I'm running LMS already on a SYnology, and it seems to allow python 3.5.2 to be installed using package manager.

Has anyone else installed this on an older Synology or is something more modern like a Rpi recommended?

Also I'm unsure about SSL vs MQTT? Are they both possible with free tier AWS?