Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    Sure, understood. Good news then - this isn't necessary now - you can use the new MQTT transport instead if that takes your fancy. This requires no ports to be opened, no LMS plugins to be installed, and no security settings to be changed, though definitely a fair bit of setup still. It's a little "beta" still (and not as fast) but it's working for me.

I tried to get involved in Peter's project but I missed the boat and am on his list to try when it comes to Beta. Then, I saw your "announce." Looks intriguing. I just don't understand all of the moving parts.

I may try poking around with MQTT just to know what "you kids" speak of. It's not that I don't want to learn anything new. Actually, if I had the time like I used to, I would love the challenge. I just don't. And a lot of things that I am interested in anymore not only require me to teach an old dog (ME) new tricks (which would be fine again if I had the time), but a lot of the time it requires learning multiple tricks which goes back to the time issue. I just wish I had more of it like I used to. Life is so much more complicated than it used to be when I was in my 20s, 30s, 40s, ..?? My wife had cancer last year (she's okay now) and my dad now has it (again). But I may try to learn if/when. There has to be "more" to Alexa and not being able to control LMS is a major turnoff. Too bad Logitech didn't stick with it longer.

Thanks, Nick.

Sure, understood. Good news then - this isn't necessary now - you can use the new MQTT transport instead if that takes your fancy. This requires no ports to be opened, no LMS plugins to be installed, and no security settings to be changed, though definitely a fair bit of setup still. It's a little "beta" still (and not as fast) but it's working for me.

Thanks
    There's a typo in the link above. Should be without "t" before "alexa": https://github.com/declension/squeez...r/docs/MQTT.md

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    There's a typo in the link above. Should be without "t" before "alexa": https://github.com/declension/squeez...r/docs/MQTT.md
    Fixed now. Thanks!

squeeze-alexa v2.2 now out

squeeze-alexa 2.2 is now out.

• Huge performance improvement for MQTT transport mode (possibly SSL too, untested)
    • Use Amazon native Genre
    • Documentation improvements
    • Testing improvements

Problem with Playlists in v2.2

@nickb - I configured squeeze-alexia per your instructions (which are pretty good imho) and have stunnel running on a MacMini that forwards to LMS on a Synology Diskstation.

I now have a working skill that can select players, change volume, play genres, etc. EXCEPT when I ask it to play a Playlist, it acknowledges the playlist but it loads an empty playlist. Once it does this, the skill forgets all of the players, genres, etc. for a few minutes. If I restart LMS, the skill works again, but the playlists are definitely not working and cause some kind of weird cascade that removes all the discovered items from LMS.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have most of the Playlists imported from iTunes, but this problem happens whether or not the Playlist is iTunes or created on LMS.

BTW - for others trying to build squeeze-alexa: After wasting 2hours wondering why the Lambda manifest was mismatched, I finally figured out: a) Alexa Dev Docs suck; b) Not all AWS hosting sites support Alexa Skills Kit; c) the Skill ID that you get when you click on "Skill ID" isn't always the same!! (For building the Skill, you need to use the one that starts with "ask/" that is generated after you enter the Skill ID in the Lambda Management Console in the region that you choose - it should begin with "ask/" not "amzn...")

I'm hoping to figure out the Playlist issue shortly as the skill works well otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by htcheng View Post
    I now have a working skill that can select players, change volume, play genres, etc. EXCEPT when I ask it to play a Playlist, it acknowledges the playlist but it loads an empty playlist. Once it does this, the skill forgets all of the players, genres, etc. for a few minutes. If I restart LMS, the skill works again, but the playlists are definitely not working and cause some kind of weird cascade that removes all the discovered items from LMS.
    Weird. Sounds like an exception that then invalidates the caches somehow, but never seen that so far. Please file an issue on Github, with some CloudWatch logs if possible.

BTW - for others trying to build squeeze-alexa: After wasting 2hours wondering why the Lambda manifest was mismatched, I finally figured out: a) Alexa Dev Docs suck; b) Not all AWS hosting sites support Alexa Skills Kit; c) the Skill ID that you get when you click on "Skill ID" isn't always the same!! (For building the Skill, you need to use the one that starts with "ask/" that is generated after you enter the Skill ID in the Lambda Management Console in the region that you choose - it should begin with "ask/" not "amzn...")
    Good work and yes it's definitely confusing especially because everything's been moving so fast. If you have any ideas for adding to the FAQ, docs, or troubleshooting then please let me know and we can add stuff.

I'm hoping to figure out the Playlist issue shortly as the skill works well otherwise...
    Great!

Raspbian

I think I'm getting too old for all this techie stuff as I've come unstuck following the HOWTO guide.

Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere to getting this all working on a Raspbian-based server? I'd prefer the MQTT bridge option as I'm actually familiar with MQTT.

Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog View Post
    I think I'm getting too old for all this techie stuff as I've come unstuck following the HOWTO guide.
    It's not too hard, I promise, it just takes a lot of time and reading.

Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere to getting this all working on a Raspbian-based server? I'd prefer the MQTT bridge option as I'm actually familiar with MQTT.
    Not currently. A few people have asked (and succeeded?). I'll try to add a few pointers. If you get really stuck try the chatroom or post a Github issue.

FWIW, for dev I use Ubuntu (i.e. of a common ancestor with Raspbian), and deploy to a Linux-based Synology (Upstart-based scripting), so almost all the MQTT HOWTO instructions should work.

I've been using the MQTT bridge (mqtt-squeeze) and once wrapped in a upstart / systemd it's rock-solid. More than my Alexa's wifi, definitely

It's not too hard, I promise, it just takes a lot of time and reading.
    I'll maybe have another go at the weekend when I have more time.
    Not currently. A few people have asked (and succeeded?). I'll try to add a few pointers. If you get really stuck try the chatroom or post a Github issue.

FWIW, for dev I use Ubuntu (i.e. of a common ancestor with Raspbian), and deploy to a Linux-based Synology (Upstart-based scripting), so almost all the MQTT HOWTO instructions should work.

I've been using the MQTT bridge (mqtt-squeeze) and once wrapped in a upstart / systemd it's rock-solid. More than my Alexa's wifi, definitely
    Thanks. If I get properly stuck then I'll ask for help in the places you suggested. I'm probably missing something obvious when it comes to configuring mqtt-squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog View Post
    I'll maybe have another go at the weekend when I have more time.
    Thanks. If I get properly stuck then I'll ask for help in the places you suggested. I'm probably missing something obvious when it comes to configuring mqtt-squeeze.
    I've just updated the MQTT HOWTO with some better explanation of what's going on / needs to be done, some pointers to Raspberry Pi stuff (especially Python 3), and added a working systemd startup script which can be used there too.

HTH