[ANNOUNCE] SqueezeButtonPi - Tool to use buttons and rotary encoders on a RPi

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingswindsor
    • Oct 2013

Just to report that I have installed Squezebuttonpi and wiringpi etc successfully but not getting any response from twiddling the rotary encoder. Setting up verbose reporting I get the 'discovery' messages too. The encoder in on GPIO 23 and 24 and I have used those numbers in the sbpd command. Same hardware config that works with Moode.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

• pippin
      • Oct 2007

Just to be sure: this means that the encoder is connected to pins (physical pins) 16 and 18 and ground (the center pin)?
      Or are you pulling down against 3.3V?
      ---
      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
      at penguinlovesmusic.com
      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• pippin
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ralphy
        Agreed. Then we can move sbpd.tcz into the repo with the next update.
        I'll play around with some more configurations over the weekend, maybe I'll add another option to use encoders and buttons pulling down from 3.3V
        ---
        at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• paul-
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by paul-
          I tried both the PLAY and POWR command. But I'm getting tired, I may have done something else stupid. Let me take a fresh look at everything tomorrow.
          Found my problem, I sent you a pull request. If you mac address has a leading 0 in a segment, it was not auto setting the mac properly. If your mac looks like this, b8:27:eb:0a:dd:0d it is being sent to the LMS server as b8:27:eb:a:dd:d

Until things get merged and recompiled You can hard set your mac on the command line with --mac=b8:27:eb:0a:dd:0d

Note: do not use capital letters in your mac address, LMS does not like that.
          Last edited by paul-; 2017-03-04, 00:34.
          piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
          Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• pippin
            • Oct 2007

Found the problem, I sent you a pull request.
            Ah, LMS needs leading zeroes, I remember.
            How does this work in SqueezeLite? Does it correct the MAC when using it?

Because that code is actually taken from SqueezeLite so I'd expect it to behave the same way as there.... (that's the idea behind that).

Edit: merged.
            ---
            at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• paul-
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by pippin
              Ah, LMS needs leading zeroes, I remember.
              How does this work in SqueezeLite? Does it correct the MAC when using it?

Because that code is actually taken from SqueezeLite so I'd expect it to behave the same way as there.... (that's the idea behind that).
              Is it the JSON interface that needs it?

Comment

• pippin
                • Oct 2007

Is it the JSON interface that needs it?
                Yes, but I thought anything that uses the MAC as playerID. I always convert them before sending in iPeng, that's probably why I forgot about it here.
                But isn't it the same in SlimProto? Or does that use network-format MAC addresses? Have to look it up...
                ---
                at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• paul-
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ralphy
                  I've respun the sbpd.tcz in post #5 to support the pi0W which was added to libwiringpi v2.42 released on March 1st.

It's untested at this point. Don't have a pi0W yet.
                  Ralphy, wiringPi is already up to 2.44 lol.

There is a fix for the ZeroW.

Comment

• kingswindsor
                    • Oct 2013

Just to be sure: this means that the encoder is connected to pins (physical pins) 16 and 18 and ground (the center pin)?
                    Or are you pulling down against 3.3V?
                    Yes, physical pins 16 and 18 but against 3.3v. Not right?

Comment

• pippin
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by kingswindsor
                      Yes, physical pins 16 and 18 but against 3.3v. Not right?

No, right now sbpd expects you to pull up (from ground).
                      It's just a configuration option, I'll update it over the weekend to support both varieties.

Is there no longer a risk of frying the GPIO chip when pulling down from 3.3V is the software enabled pull-up resistors are not yet enabled and you use the encoder/button?
                      I read in some articles that this was a problem with at least some Pi models so that people recommended to still use hardware resistors with such a setup.
                      ---
                      at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• kingswindsor
                        • Oct 2013

I believe there is still a risk of frying the GPIO chip and I do have the pins protected with a resistor and zener diode (via a rasp.io break out board at the moment for convenience). I'm assuming it will need protection unless advised otherwise! Would it no still b needed if I reconfigured the centre pin to go to ground?

Comment

• pippin
                          • Oct 2007

Don't take my word for it but my understanding is that by default the GPIO pins are on ground level so unless you activate the Pulldown-MenĂ¼s resistors software wise, nothing happens if you connect them to ground.
                          If you connect them to 3.3V, otoh, you get quite a bit of current so you probably always want to add external resistors. The advantage then is that you don't need your software to specifically activate anything
                          ---
                          at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• cubii
                            • Dec 2016

Which buttons?

Hi,
                            i am also building a Musicbox with picoreplayer and i am looking for some buttons.
                            So i found this script, which seems to be very useful, but did not try it.

But because the script is only useful if you have some buttons, i have another question:
                            what buttons do you use?
                            I cant find any buttons which have some engraved or painted Symbols on it like play, pause next etc. on it.
                            Any body has seen something like that?

greetings
                            cubii

Comment

• kingswindsor
                              • Oct 2013

I'll play around with some more configurations over the weekend, maybe I'll add another option to use encoders and buttons pulling down from 3.3V
                              Pippin, I was just wondering if you have had a hence to update the software? I'd be happy to help test it. P.S. I've put the centre pin to ground but it still doesn't do anything when I turn the rotary encoder.

Comment

• pippin
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by kingswindsor
                                Pippin, I was just wondering if you have had a hence to update the software? I'd be happy to help test it. P.S. I've put the centre pin to ground but it still doesn't do anything when I turn the rotary encoder.
                                Sorry, I wasn't really able to test. My last test system is now away, my old one uses an old RPi1 and is horribly slow and my new test device is a rpi0w which doesn't yet work with piCorePlayer which I've used for testing so far.

I have created a "testing" branch in the repo which contains a change that should allow a configuration parameter for pulling up/down (last parameter, 1 for down, 2 for up).

Have you tried "-v" (verbose mode) to see what happens? Don't you get any interrupts at all from the encoder?
                                ---
                                at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

Working...