Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

A Big Thank You

I have just registered to say a big thank you to everyone who has made this all work. I have had various picore players, and recently installed them with HiFi Berry Amps into a few rooms. They have been great, no denying that, but there is a frequent need to quickly adjust volume or mute.

I had been searching for a while for a solution before arriving at the thread a few months back - and have been lurking. To return and see so much progress has been a treat today. I quickly got an encoder working, with a long press to advance the playlist. Works really well and I just wanted to register and pass on my appreciation not only to the author but to all those involved, for making this possible.

Now to move this from breadboard onto some Cat 5 connectors and see if it will work over a length of cable before I build into a room!

CC

I made a command to assign Preset#1 to the last remaining unused long press on my button board (PRE1=[“button”,”preset_1.single”]).

The command triggers fine, but does nothing, and I now realise that I had confused my presets with my favourites! I've never really bothered with either, so was (am) a bit confused about the differences. I'm running pCP3.5.0 on a 3B+.

Am I right that Favourites are LMS-wide, whereas Presets are device-dependent?

I looked for a way to assign a favourite to a button command but couldn't find a suitable command. I'll look again, but if there isn't a way, then assigning that favourite to a preset, and then issuing the above 'preset_1.single' command would suffice. But I can't see how to assign presets on Squeezelite/pCP. I think there isn't an interface method to do this, so maybe I have to edit a file on the server somewhere.

I suppose an alternative would be to make another button command to assign the current playlist to preset#1. I'll look for such an option.

Does anyone have any advice on how to use presets/favourites in Squeezelite/pCP? I realise that presets didn't really make much sense for a headless software player, but the arrival of this SqueezeButtonPi daemon makes them more relevant.

I posted the same question in the LMS forum, where I thought it was more relevant, and got some useful pointers from Michael. So I can now manually create a preset (by editing server.prefs) and then recall it from a button press. Still working on creating a preset with a button press.

But now I know that presets can work with pCP, I can't shake the idea that a row of preset buttons could be a useful addition to the integrated amplifier I'm building. It could daisy chain onto my RPi button panel.

thanks !

Hi Guys, ( pippin, paul- and others )

Many thanks for this development and added functionality !
    Tonight I got this up and running on my test pi ( Pi0w with pcp350 ) in a relative short time.
    Most time was used to solder a few extra pins to my proto-hat and figure out what needed to be connected to what physical GPIO pin.
    The button function was the easiest, as it really needs 1 pin and ground.
    My rotary encoder needed 3.3v and ground, perhaps due to built in resistors, and missing options to set Pi side pullup/pulldown resistor function.
    But hey, just 1 extra lead to solder and success, and it fulfilled one of my PCP wishes.

One question comes to mind reading the readme file and this thread;
    Why are we limiting to 1 encoder atm ?
    I would like to see a second encoder control the user interface on a small screen.
    Roll and click like the already ancient blackberries! Slimmer is probably the smart choice for that.
    But other people might come up with even better suggestions to use a second and third rotary encoder.

With this SqueezeButtonPi project reaching maturity, I would vote for building it into the PCP gui pages/scripts.
    With well chosen defaults we can offer this functionality to less experienced users who just want to buy standard components and enable this from the menu. This could be all in an extension .

Regards M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

I guess anything can be done in coding. Primary intention of all commands is interfacing with the LMS server. I'm not sure how I could even build a standard command set that would allow scrolling on a custom display.

Perhaps you can elaborate on how you would control your UI without an encoder.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I guess anything can be done in coding. Primary intention of all commands is interfacing with the LMS server. I'm not sure how I could even build a standard command set that would allow scrolling on a custom display.

Perhaps you can elaborate on how you would control your UI without an encoder.
    Hi Paul-,

What I am aiming for is being done in Slimmer.
    So I need to combine Slimmer for text display and rotary control in menus
    And SqueezeButtonPi for instant volume and pause/play on the other rotary controller.
    The last also enabling me too add hardware buttons for next, previous etc.
    ( So I need to read up on that , and learn what is available first )

I have a modded portable radio shell that acts as my third/forth LMS player in the garden shed or shower.
    And although I can control it from IR, laptop, squeezer etc, nothing beats a dedicated physical control for me.
    If I can do volume and select another album on that portable, I do not need to handle my cell with wet, dirty or greased hands.

Ultimately, I will build a minimal bedsite pcp setup, that will act as alarm.
    There I need time display and alarm time setting too.
    so 2 rotary controllers to handle more functions with minimal casing holes.

Regards M-H
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

I've not used slimmer, but it looks like it supports an encoder. Should be no reason that slimmer cannot manage 1 encoder for selection, and then SqueezeButtonPi handles everything else.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I've not used slimmer, but it looks like it supports an encoder. Should be no reason that slimmer cannot manage 1 encoder for selection, and then SqueezeButtonPi handles everything else.
    Then it is up to me to get Slimmer installed next to SqueezeButtonPi.

Regards M-H
    Last edited by M-H; 2018-06-03 at 14:32. Reason: TYPO

Phat beat working with SqueezeButtonPi

For those who want to use the Pimoroni phat beat;

I have got the buttons all working with SqueezeButtonPi.
    use the user commands on the tweaks page with the following :
    Code:
    /usr/local/sbin/sbpd -v -d b,5,NEXT b,6,PLAY b,12,POWR b,13,PREV b,16,VOL+ b,26,VOL-
    And do not forget to save and test with a reboot.

If it aint working for some button ( or two ) verify you do not use that pin for any other task.
    I got problems with lirc using one of the them :-/ .

See https://pinout.xyz/pinout/phat_beat for BCM and GPIO numbering.

Good luck M-H