Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86
  1. #21
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    The mere presence of an albumartist tag shouldn't mean something is a comp or not
    I do not see this behavior on my system. Maybe you should check your tags and settings.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,215
    Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    I do not see this behavior on my system. Maybe you should check your tags and settings.
    The only possibility I'm aware of is one case: If one does NOT have ALBUM ARTIST filled in *and* there is at least one track on the album that has a differing artist or artists, LMS will treat that album as a compilation album (even though there is no COMPILATION tag).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  3. #23
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    The only possibility I'm aware of is one case: If one does NOT have ALBUM ARTIST filled in *and* there is at least one track on the album that has a differing artist or artists, LMS will treat that album as a compilation album (even though there is no COMPILATION tag).
    That's the one I know, too.

    @BJW: "If a file has explicit 'ALBUMARTIST' tags the server recognizes, it will NEVER be classified as a comp/VA album, UNLESS it ALSO has COMP=1 tags."

    That's from the first link in your signature.
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-02-23 at 16:08.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    173
    I know, I wrote it.

    What I am saying, is absent any comp tags, server will always decide something isn't a comp simply bc it also has albumartists tags. This is just one example of erroneous assumptions the software makes at a foundational level. Something isn't necessarily not a comp just bc it also has albumartist tags.

    That was my point.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

  5. #25
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    I know, I wrote it.

    What I am saying, is absent any comp tags, server will always decide something isn't a comp simply bc it also has albumartists tags. This is just one example of erroneous assumptions the software makes at a foundational level. Something isn't necessarily not a comp just bc it also has albumartist tags.

    That was my point.
    We seem to have a fundamentally different music collection. For my collection it works great, for yours, well, not. But however this is implemented, one of us would have to set COMPILATION (as long as there's no switch between these options). Now you have to set it to one, I can leave it blank. Otherwise I would have to set it to zero and calling it "one example of erroneous assumptions", while you may leave it blank. Win some, lose some?

    But I agree that the search could be natively more flexible tag-wise and could allow for (more) filters (=submenus) aka make more use out of the database.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    We seem to have a fundamentally different music collection. For my collection it works great, for yours, well, not. But however this is implemented, one of us would have to set COMPILATION (as long as there's no switch between these options). Now you have to set it to one, I can leave it blank. Otherwise I would have to set it to zero and calling it "one example of erroneous assumptions", while you may leave it blank. Win some, lose some?

    But I agree that the search could be natively more flexible tag-wise and could allow for (more) filters (=submenus) aka make more use out of the database.
    It has nothing to do with my collection or yours. What I am saying in this one particular example is that server starts off with a logical fallacy, which once again is a file, if it has no comp tag=1, and it does have albumartist tags, is by definition, not a comp.

    So imagine the common tag instance where a user ripped a comp CD, has differing artists on it per track, but a common albumartist value, such as "Various Artists" but again, no explicit comp tag.

    That is quite common among CD ripping software. Server handles that poorly. And I haven't even yet mentioned bug 9523 which would "hide" the above from view altogether.

    That's just one example. Server inventing tag fields like "trackartist" that don't exist in tags is another. The other half of what I was saying is that queries could be simplified and quicker if they ignored comp status altogether except for those queries that explicitly need to know comp status.

    And finally being able to name and define your own "views" based on whatever tag and or art criteria u select is another thing I wish we had. The whole "home > whatever" navigation server uses is bizarre, and has limitations based on point of entry that are frustrating and not intuitive, and frankly unnecessary if an approach similar to what I am proposing were adopted.
    Last edited by BJW; 2018-02-24 at 12:27.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    82.458 Tracks are scanned in 112 minutes - that means each track is scanned in ~0,0814960343447573 secs...
    I have roughly the same amount of tracks. Winamp can scan them magnitudes of order faster when freshly scanned, and exponentially faster when rescanned, and unlike server, a clear and rescan is basically never necessary.

    In addition, winamp has faster queries and allows for a lot more views or "smartviews" as they call them.

    Try playing around with winamp, it's actually a lot of fun to use.

    That isn't to say winamp is perfect, it has its own flaws and limitations, but it's def better in these regards.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Yapp - do you want to know some background ?

    Peter Pawlowski once one one the Winamp developer started another Player called foobar 2000 cause of winamp was (@ 2000) too much gimmickblowup....

    If you want to compare a "player" like Winamp with lms you need to compare Itunes or something else not winamp.
    Why? I mean, what a dodge of the point I made! Why not respond to that point?

    Winamp, and I am sure foobar and most others, probably even iTunes, which I despise, are faster and more reliable scanners, than server.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Well thats not the case....
    A single Track has a Artist Tag thats used by lms!
    Maybe u are not aware, but servers DB has albumartist, artist, AND trackartist. Most people, if not all, only have the first two in their tags, not the third. It's a db kludge, imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    If you want to see all tracks from an artist - you need to put all tracks from all artists together - winamp cant do that!
    It does it fine for me. I can browse by artist or albumartist in winamp.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    If one Album has more than one Artist - you need to make a decision. Is it a Compilation or not.
    Actually, not true. Albumartist tags will in winamp, and most other software, group all tracks together from one CD even if there are differing artists.

    Deciding if something is or isn't a comp, is a separate matter and more complicated than just recognizing if a given CD has one or more differing artists on it.

    Comp status however, is really a user's own subjective judgment on a case by case basis, and more of an afterthought as a criteria property. Server is way too entangled with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    eg. Crossroads from Eric Clapton is a Best of from Eric Clapton with all of his Hits with all of his former Bands.
    If you want to see that as an compilation - you dont need anything further.
    If you dont want it as a compilation you can use
    • eg Albumartist "Eric Clapton" on all (not one) Track where the "Track" Artist is not Eric Clapton
    • Eric Clapton;Derek and The Dominos as "Track" Artist
    Yes, I agree, doesn't change any point I made.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Feel free to use any Software you want and listen to music you like use our Tricks or not its up to you.
    Thx.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    If you would understand the decisions (not logical fallacy) that are needed to provide all the hidden stuff in a database that make using & quering fast you would see the "we must die way one or another" thats needed to do so.
    Ah, I see, I'm not as smart as u.

    As I said, and I stand by it 100%, determining that something is NOT a comp just bc it has an albumartist tag present, (absent an explicit comp=1 tag), IS a logical fallacy, a demonstrably false assumption.

    Why argue against something obvious?
    Last edited by BJW; 2018-02-24 at 14:37.

  9. #29
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    It has nothing to do with my collection or yours. What I am saying in this one particular example is that server starts off with a logical fallacy, which once again is a file, if it has no comp tag=1, and it does have albumartist tags, is by definition, not a comp.

    So imagine the common tag instance where a user ripped a comp CD, has differing artists on it per track, but a common albumartist value, such as "Various Artists" but again, no explicit comp tag.
    I really have to imagine that, because I do not have such discs.

    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    And finally being able to name and define your own "views" based on whatever tag and or art criteria u select is another thing I wish we had. The whole "home > whatever" navigation server uses is bizarre, and has limitations based on point of entry that are frustrating and not intuitive, and frankly unnecessary if an approach similar to what I am proposing were adopted.
    I only wish for natively supported tags ("work", "recording", "custom") and the possibility to create menu structures to apply these tags (Like Erland's CustomScan/-Browse, but natively supported).
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  10. #30
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    As I said, and I stand by it 100%, determining that something is NOT a comp just bc it has an albumartist tag present, (absent an explicit comp=1 tag), IS a logical fallacy, a demonstrably false assumption.

    Why argue against something obvious?
    It's a design choice that got your collection wrong sometimes and mine never. And it seems that this assumptions works for most people. These people all would have to set compilation=1 just for you not having to set it to zero.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •