Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    What are your settings on this page in LMS > Settings (this is from mine, I'm on 7.9)

Attachment 22134
    My "Various Artists" box is blank. That certainly explains the connection to Compilations.

All else the same except the number of entries for "New Music Limit.

I assume ypu do a "Clear library and rescan" after making changes to your tags?

A "look for new and changed media files" doesn't really tidy up all changes.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Pi3B+/pCP 3.5.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry AMP+/retro radio
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 3.5.0 > Edifier R980T
    In car - RPi3B/pCP in AP mode > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's audio (files on a 2TB USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 1xBoom

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I assume ypu do a "Clear library and rescan" after making changes to your tags?

A "look for new and changed media files" doesn't really tidy up all changes.
    Several full scans in fact. I may do "look for new . . ." when just testing a theory by editing one album.

see the links in my sig, and be aware that its advisable to do all the following imo:

1. keep all files from any one CD in one folder.
    2. only use comp=1 tags if u want them, don't use any others. will force comp status.
    3. del all disc tags. (optional, but may solve weird issues)
    4. treat TPE2 as Album Artist in settings
    5. group comps together
    6. change the blank default string value for what to name a comp in settings to ANYTHING that is not likely to be a string in your collection, like: " -.-Various Artists -.- " to avoid bug 9532
    7. assign actual Album Artists values to everything even if its redundant
    8. clear and rescan
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

My Disappointing Experience with Compilation Cataloging

I too am frustrated with how the software catalogues compilations. All of the proposed solutions above fail for me. I have run tests with only three albums in the database:

1. A solo album for which artist = albumartist = artistsort = trackartist = “Brickman, Jim”;
    2. A compilation album with artist = actual artist including one track with artist = “Brickman, Jim”; and albumartist = artistsort = “Windham Hill Artists”.
    3. To demonstrate a flaw on the order in which artists are listed, a solo album for which artist = albumartist = artistsort = trackartist = “Cohn, Mark”

For all three albums, COMPILATION is not filled (have also tried “0” with no change in behavior).

I am using Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1516947667 @ Fri Jan 26 07:06:13 CUT 2018. My setting are the same as in Post #7 of this thread. (In particular, “Group Compilation Albums Together” is checked.)

The resulting listings under Artist includes three Artists:

Cohn, Marc
    One album with correct tracks

Brickman, Jim
    Solo Album, with correct tracks
    Compilation Album, with the one track with Artist = “Brickman, Jim”

Windham Hill Artists
    Compilation Album, with correct tracks

Contrary to my wishes, the compilation album is listed under artist Brickman, Jim. Even worse, the artist “Brickman, Jim” is not in alphabetical order. “Brickman, Jim” is ordered just prior to the albumartist associated with the compilation album that includes a track with artist “Brickman, Jim”. (I’ve tried more solo album artists, and this seems to be the rule.)

My solution is very much suboptimal. I create a tag trackartist that has the correct artists, and I populate the artist field with the same entry as albumartist. I then pre-pend trackartist to the track title.

I suggest that the software be modified so that albums for which there is an albumartist, the ARTIST tag varies, and does not have a tag COMPILATION = 1, be catalogued under the albumartist and that the squeezebox player display ARTIST-TITLE. The software should treat an album as a compilation only if there is a tag COMPILATION = 1.

Quote Originally Posted by rmariger View Post
    I suggest that the software be modified so that albums for which there is an albumartist, the ARTIST tag varies, and does not have a tag COMPILATION = 1, be catalogued under the albumartist and that the squeezebox player display ARTIST-TITLE. The software should treat an album as a compilation only if there is a tag COMPILATION = 1.
    I think it's more a tagging problem than a problem with how LMS handles it. For example:

Roger Waters, The Wall: Life in Berlin. The album has different artists for each track.

• It is NOT listed as a compilation but listed under Roger Waters (=ALBUMARTIST)
    • The Artists for the tracks are listed ONLY in Album Artists, if they also have an Album in the collection*)
    • The COMPILATION tag is NOT set.

The players display:

Another Brick in the Wall II
    Roger Waters, Cyndi Lauper (=Album Artist, Artist)

Your suggestion would omit Cyndi Lauper. I, for one, would hate that.

*) There's a setting to use two lists for Album Artists and All Artists you might want to use. (Settings / My Music)

To conclude: Never set ALBUMARTIST unless in cases like the one I described above, never set COMPILATION unless it is a compilation, be super careful when using *SORT tags and always check if there are some remnant tags messing things up.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09a (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

What I do w recordings like the Roger Waters mentioned is add the artist to the track title-works for me

1. In general I leave ALBUM ARTIST blank.
    2. If I have an album that has at least one track with differing artists, then I must include an ALBUM ARTIST otherwise LMS will automatically treat this as a compilation CD (even though there is no COMPILATION tag).
    3. On a true compilation, I include the COMPILATION tag with a value of "1". I may or may not include an ALBUM ARTIST. Typically I leave blank, but see #4 below.
    4. On some compilations I include ALBUM ARTIST just so the album is referenced under a particular artist. That is, I have Bob Dylan tribute compilation album, and even though Bob Dylan does not appear on any tracks, I use Bob Dylan as ALBUM ARTIST so that this tribute album shows up if I'm browsing albums under "Bob Dylan"
    5. If one has Sort tags for an artist on any track in your collection, all references to that artist will be sorted using the sort tag (even if only a single track on one album, and you have dozens of other albums that don't have a sort tag for that artist).
    6. I don't personally use any sort tags.

With all this in my own tagging, I don't have any issues with albums showing up as compilations that shouldn't.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

My guess is no major overhaul will be done to the system to fix the many systemic issues, but if there was going to be such an attempt, it would be wise to rethink servers whole approach, which is completely bizarre and odd and not similar to any other software.

For instance, tags have albumartists and artists, there is no tag trackartist, it shouldn't be invented as a db kludge to serve supposed database needs. That shouldn't exist in server. The mere presence of an albumartist tag shouldn't mean something is a comp or not, and shouldn't mask files with which it has a string conflict for naming comps.

Queries should ignore comp status altogether unless comp status is the point of the query, (or at least part of the explicit overall point)

Perhaps most importantly, the whole browsing system is whacky and it shouldn't be home > artists or home > albums or home > genres or whatever, with limitations and so on for each. For instance, art should be a toggle u can turn off or on from any browsing mode. U should be able to name any results set u define, and create or delete any mode or breadcrumb like list, and define it as deep as u like. U should be able to include, or suppress, artists from comps in a given result set.

So I should be able to create a view called G1 and G2 just as two example. G1 would be everything listed by Genre, then albumartists. G2 would be Comps, then genre. For these or others art could be toggled on or off. Now imagine naming other views, and using years, composers, artists, genres, etc, in whatever combo u want, as deep as u want, with or without art.

So much of what is whacky in server is bc of legacy thinking, instead of a fresh, common sense approach that would be much more intuitive and also make more sense under the hood of server, making scans and queries faster and more reliable.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Ha, I fully admit I'm no programmer, but hell, there's a reason this didn't take off. I think users can make constructive criticism without being attacked by German dogs, ha.