Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Oh, I understand the conflict. You are thinking of scenes rather than groups and these scenes can of course include additional settings but maybe the "Group" wording is a bit confusing in that context then?
    I'm not following - can you explain more?

I agree Group is not the best espcially when you've been used to the group concept in LMS, but I could not find a better naming so far. It's also that they work the same way Chromecast groups work, which I still think is the most convenient option. Sonos groups are static as well and I don't like them much.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Well, some home automation systems have the concept of "scenes" where you can have a certain setting including a lot of configurations. Think "TV watching" scene where TV will be selected as a source, certain speakers will be grouped, a certain volume might be selected and in a home automation context also the lights might get dimmed and so on.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

The problem with ChromeCast groups is that probably nobody ever used them so they are not a good model for something people might see as an "introduced" UI scheme.

Sonos, however, is something a lot of people have already seen, the Squeezebox group concept is something most Squeezebox users will know.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Well, some home automation systems have the concept of "scenes" where you can have a certain setting including a lot of configurations. Think "TV watching" scene where TV will be selected as a source, certain speakers will be grouped, a certain volume might be selected and in a home automation context also the lights might get dimmed and so on.
    Got it now. Probably alongside that line. For me, it's really about: I want to play in "Master Bedroom" or "1st Floor" and these 2 are a collection of players, some are common, so I don't want to do/undo groups. But it's also true, that in my case I've created a Group Player named "Podcast" which uses some low-quality ceiling speakers together with 2 "supporting" players that gives me talk-quality all over the house - that's really a "scene" scenario

The problem with ChromeCast groups is that probably nobody ever used them so they are not a good model for something people might see as an "introduced" UI scheme.

Sonos, however, is something a lot of people have already seen, the Squeezebox group concept is something most Squeezebox users will know.
    People don't use multiroom with CC? I have to say that I'm not following too much what's happening there. But that's interesting because I've always preferred the notion of dynamic grouping which sounded to me more flexible, but till now I did not have enough knowledge of LMS and Perl to do that. I should probably not make marketing from my own preferences and, as Michael said, I probably have too many SB devices across the house
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Oh, besides being completely over-engineered and using that dumb JS-player ChromeCast is a good system.
    It's just ... I haven't met a lot of people using it for audio at all, most people really seem to just use it as a kind of AirPlay replacement for video with a single device.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com