Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Radio WIFI issues

Hi. It's been a while since I've posted. I've been having intermittent issues with the wifi on the radio. It keeps losing signal, then when I go to reconnect, it shows the wireless network but the signal strength is nil - even when the radio is right next to the router. A hard reset sometimes sorts this out - but less frequently now. Usually it'll just reconnect out of the blue another day! Ethernet works flawlessly. I have two other radios and a touch connected and they don't lose wifi signal.

Is the wifi chipset bust? Help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Your WiFi on a fixed ch? Any other nearby WiFi's with same name as yours?

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Your WiFi on a fixed ch? Any other nearby WiFi's with same name as yours?
    Not on a fixed channel - think it's on auto. Shall I fix it? Shall I also assign a fixed IP to that radio?

Quote Originally Posted by 05mattjax View Post
    Hi. It's been a while since I've posted. I've been having intermittent issues with the wifi on the radio. It keeps losing signal, then when I go to reconnect, it shows the wireless network but the signal strength is nil - even when the radio is right next to the router. A hard reset sometimes sorts this out - but less frequently now. Usually it'll just reconnect out of the blue another day! Ethernet works flawlessly. I have two other radios and a touch connected and they don't lose wifi signal.

Is the wifi chipset bust? Help appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Have you tried placing this Radio in the same position as one of the other working ones?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not on a fixed channel - think it's on auto. Shall I fix it? Shall I also assign a fixed IP to that radio?
    One of my three radios only maintains a wireless connection when the WiFi channel is fixed to 6. The other two are flexible.

Can't hurt to try fixed ch. Just make sure it's the least used ch near you and it's either ch 1 or 6 or 11.
    Unless you have IP conflicts I wouldn't bother with fixed IP, nothing to do with WiFi reception. I've never bothered with fixed IP's with multiple SB players.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Can't hurt to try fixed ch. Just make sure it's the least used ch near you and it's either ch 1 or 6 or 11.
    Unless you have IP conflicts I wouldn't bother with fixed IP, nothing to do with WiFi reception. I've never bothered with fixed IP's with multiple SB players.
    Thanks very much. I have fixed to ch 11 and will see how that works out.

Thanks very much. I have fixed to ch 11 and will see how that works out.
    Didn't work - wifi lost and showing signal strength nil where previously it was full signal. All of SBs are working via wifi. Any other thoughts? I'm thinking the issue is the SB and not a setting on the router.....

I've also had terrible luck getting consistent WiFi performance with my Radio. I typically use the Radio in my garage, at a location that is roughly equidistant between the router in my house and a wired access point in a backyard cottage. I use the same SSID on both WiFi signals, but have them set up on fixed channels (1 and 14 to keep them as far apart as possible). I noticed in my WiFi logs that the Radio was frequently connecting and disconnecting from the access point, so I even used MAC filtering on my home router to try to force the Radio to connect only with the access point (which is a little bit closer to the garage). The Radio will typically work for a while after being connected, but when it stops working, I often need to manually forget and reconfigure the wireless settings on the Radio to get it reconnected.

I think the problem is basically that the Radio uses an 11g receiver that is just not very reliable, especially with crowded 2.4 GHz signals. I recently bought a Raspberry Pi 3 (with 11n WiFi) to run with PiCorePlayer through powered speakers at the same location. That unit has had a rock solid connection with my access point for the last month. I'm hoping that I can still use the Radio when it's closer to one or the other of my WiFi access points, but I have given up trying to get it to work from the current location.

Not sure this helps you in any way, but at least you know that you aren't the only one having WiFi problems with the Radio. (I think there have also been several posts here over the years about poor WiFi performance with the Radio.)

You can add me to the list of those with wifi issues on their radio. I have a radio in my bedroom and one in my master bathroom. The bedroom radio has been pretty solid but the bathroom radio has frequent wifi disconnects where it can see my network but fails to connect. The router is physically located on the otherside of a wall from both the bedroom radio and the bathroom radio. My solution when it disconnects and cannot reconnect is pulling the plug and letting it reboot. I unplug from the wall as this radio also seems to have a faulty power port where the power supply plugs in and sometimes it is totally without power and I have to wiggle the chord to get it power up again. I love the size and convenience of the radios but they aren't the most reliable units. When I finally give up on this one I will be in the market for something similar that can hopefully connect to LMS via one of Phillippes plugins. If anyone has a suggestion of a similar sized powered speaker that has a reliable connection to LMS via one of the bridge plugins I would be interested in hearing about it.