Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

HiFiBerry DAC Pro + & Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display & RaspberrPiCorePlayer 3.5

I recently purchase the HiFiBerry DAC Pro + to determine if there are any sound quality differences between using the analog connections as compared to the HDMI connections (also as a work around for an HDMI hand shaking issue that crops up once in a while). I currently have the Raspberry Pi 3 connected to the touchscreen with the jumpers and micro USB 5V 3A power supply connected to the Pi (or is it connected to the touchscreen? - I'll have to check! ) . Anyway, what is the best method to connect the HiFiBerry to the RPi? Do I need the jumpers? How about the hardware? Do I replace the metal spaces and screws that were connect the pi to the display with the plastic connectors that are supplied with the HiFiBerry?

Thanks in advance! Donald

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    Anyway, what is the best method to connect the HiFiBerry to the RPi? Do I need the jumpers? How about the hardware? Do I replace the metal spaces and screws that were connect the pi to the display with the plastic connectors that are supplied with the HiFiBerry?
    There is only one way to connect the HiFiBerry: via the GPIO block. The DAC board will get power from the RPi. The jumpers probably remain as they are. Once pressed together, the RPi and DAC are a tight fit so the standoffs likely won't need to be switched out. Remember to go into piCorePlayer and set the audio output to the new board.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2018-05-04 at 09:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    There is only one way to connect the HiFiBerry: via the GPIO block. The DAC board will get power from the RPi. The jumpers probably remain as they are. Once pressed together, the RPi and DAC are a tight fit so the standoffs likely won't need to be switched out. Remember to go into piCorePlayer and set the audio output to the new board.
    Thanks for the reply, but I am still a little confused. Are you saying that I won't need the jumper cables to be connected at all?

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I am still a little confused. Are you saying that I won't need the jumper cables to be connected at all?
    Remove the jumper cables, (you won't need them), attach your HiFiBerry to the 40 pin block, get a "Y" splitter cable for power, one leg to the RPI and one to the screen. The DAC gets it's power from the Pi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Spli...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Remove the jumper cables, (you won't need them), attach your HiFiBerry to the 40 pin block, get a "Y" splitter cable for power, one leg to the RPI and one to the screen. The DAC gets it's power from the Pi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Spli...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Thanks again! I already have a splitter cable in my bag of tricks, so it looks like I am all set! Much appreciated!

Working great! Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice enclosure for the Rpi3 + Touch Screen + HiFiBerry DAC Pro+ ? One where the HDMI and analog outs are accessible? I currently have a nice bamboo stand, but with the extra cables and board, the combination now is a bit tipsy!

All did not go well.

"On Settings page, go to the "Information" tab. About half-way down the page you'll see a list of all devices connected to LMS. One of these should be "piCorePlayer". Copy the IP address for piCorePlayer and open it in a new browser tab. If all has gone well, you will see the main page of piCorePlayer as running on your RPi."

No piCorePlayer showing up. Thoughts?

Would I be able to diagnose more if I connected an HDMI cable between the Raspberry Pi and tv, and connected a USB mouse and keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    "On Settings page, go to the "Information" tab. About half-way down the page you'll see a list of all devices connected to LMS. One of these should be "piCorePlayer". Copy the IP address for piCorePlayer and open it in a new browser tab. If all has gone well, you will see the main page of piCorePlayer as running on your RPi."

No piCorePlayer showing up. Thoughts?

Would I be able to diagnose more if I connected an HDMI cable between the Raspberry Pi and tv, and connected a USB mouse and keyboard?
    Try getting network scanner software for a PC connected to your network, this scans the network for devices and reports its IP address.

This will tell you if the Pi is booting Pcp and also the address then connect using the address.
    It is possible that Pcp is booting but squeezelite (the Player program) is not running for some reason, in this case the player will not show up in LMS
    If you use the HDMI cable you can watch the booting of Pcp I think the last entry is the IP address

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Try getting network scanner software for a PC connected to your network, this scans the network for devices and reports its IP address.

This will tell you if the Pi is booting Pcp and also the address then connect using the address.
    It is possible that Pcp is booting but squeezelite (the Player program) is not running for some reason, in this case the player will not show up in LMS
    If you use the HDMI cable you can watch the booting of Pcp I think the last entry is the IP address

Jeff
    Thank you. I should be able to tell if it's on my network in the router's interface, shouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Thank you. I should be able to tell if it's on my network in the router's interface, shouldn't I?
    Yes, but IMHO I prefer the ease of use of a scanner rather than going to/from the routers interface all the time.

Pcp is usually pretty bulletproof if it is not booting try rewriting the sdcard again, I use Win32DiskImager for this but there are quite a few out there

Jeff

A windows scanner is here BTW https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953