Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Being a Newbie to the "NAS World" this is all very useful Info to me. When chatting to the guy in my local Computer shop he did advise on a Four Bay NAS(...and not because he just want to sell me one) His view was in the future, I may want to expand and with a four bay no probs.,More Back up options etc...

In my mind this was a bit OTT. why not just have 2 bay and 3 HD external drives (In different locations)..? I always considered 4/5/6 bay Drives were more for Surveillance purposes , Or where somethings filmed on a loop... But Thinking again a Four Bay one may be a better long term solution....
    ...There again Iam only having FLAC. Music Files on there NO video, Film etc...

hi there,

sorry to hijack your thread but am i right in saying that you decided to stick with your pc? do you have any idea how much power it consumes at all?

can anyone suggest which would be the most performant of these solutions? i've tried migrating from my full PC setup with everything running locally to a raspberry pi 3 and storage on an ancient readynas duo v1. everything seems to work fine albeit slowly with the exception of my favourite playlist which is approx. 6000 tracks.

because of the way that lms handles playlists, the pi tries to load and verify all 6000 tracks which it cannot currently handle at all.

the massive spike in cpu load suggests that the ram is the bottleneck rather than slow storage.

would an upgrade to a newer nas help? the other option is to run lms directly on something like the synology ds218play (i'm not sure i can stretch to the 4 bay version) although this only has 1gig of ram like the pi.

thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdo23 View Post
    hi there,

sorry to hijack your thread but am i right in saying that you decided to stick with your pc? do you have any idea how much power it consumes at all?

can anyone suggest which would be the most performant of these solutions? i've tried migrating from my full PC setup with everything running locally to a raspberry pi 3 and storage on an ancient readynas duo v1. everything seems to work fine albeit slowly with the exception of my favourite playlist which is approx. 6000 tracks.

because of the way that lms handles playlists, the pi tries to load and verify all 6000 tracks which it cannot currently handle at all.

the massive spike in cpu load suggests that the ram is the bottleneck rather than slow storage.

would an upgrade to a newer nas help? the other option is to run lms directly on something like the synology ds218play (i'm not sure i can stretch to the 4 bay version) although this only has 1gig of ram like the pi.

thanks in advance!
    How are you accessing the NAS?
    I use a RasPi3, running LMS on piCorePlayer, and have my NAS set up as a mount.
    The only delay I have accessing my FLAC library is when I first access the library, as it takes a few seconds for the NAS to spin up from its WOL slumber. Beyond that it's very quick.

That said, my listening habits tend to be play a full album to the end, then play another full album from start to finish. It's what I did with LPs when I was in my teens in the 1970s, and the habit persists.
    I don't have any playlists.
    Chris :)

My listening habits are like Chrisí above: typically full albums. To the OPís question when this thread was started last year, I use a Synology 115j for both music storage and LMS.

Itís a low end, single bay NAS. Works great unless LMS is scanning the library, then everything slows to a crawl. With automated scanning at night, this isnít a concern of course.

I would like to switch to something that will tell me when storage starts to go bad. Whether thatís my single drive, or multiple drives, I donít think matters to me since Iíd have to envoke a backup.

Actually, I suppose thatís incorrect. A multi-drive RAID should alert me and permit replacing the drive in-place ... I know everyone says a RAID is never ďa backup,Ē but if the system tells you to swap in a new drive, and you do it, youíve essentially fixed and backed up the data, in a practical sense.

Obviously, for the sake of that example Iím ignoring a physical breach of the NAS, or the NAS hardware or its OS ruining the array somehow.

Remember the old days, when all you had to worry about was fire or flood?

Best solution: RPi + Max2Play (or PicorePlayer) + HD

My suggestion is to use the configuration in the title:
    - A Raspberry Pi 3 (better an Odroid if You have a large archive of music);
    - Max2Play software (that include LMS and other services), or PicorePlayer as You prefer (I use Max2Play as server, Picoreplayer as client);
    - An external 3.5 HD (size of your choice) that go to sleep when not in use (a 2.5 hd drain power from Raspberry and this is not the best solution);
    - Sometimes make a backup of the music in another HD (I use FreeFile Sync), no need of NAS, RAID, ecc.

PRO:
    - very cheap;
    - low power consumption;
    - NOISELESS (!!!!);
    - very simple also for who never used Linux/Unix

CONS:
    - N/A

;-)
    1 Touch, 1 Duet, 3 Boom, some SOC (Odroid, RPi3, RpiZeroW) as players. 1 SB v.1 (now unused), 1 SB Classic, broken,
    Logitech Media Server 7.9 on Odroid U3

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    In the past I used option 1 - running LMS on a QNAP NAS, but I've switched to Option 2. I have a Raspberry Pi3 running piCorePlayer and LMS, with the music files on the NAS. Works very well and is very stable. I have the Pi and NAS running 24:7. Very easy to set up, and there's loads of advice and help available in the Linux/Unix forum here.

Robert
    i've the same config, it works well except for sometimes i've to restart radsperry to make lms to work
    Touchx2,radiox4, Squeezebox Server 7.9 (Raspberrypi 3 and qnap ts-269)