Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    My reading of it is that pCP with built-in AP mode makes it easier.
    One of the posts says that LMS (on the pCP machine) works when device is in AP mode.
    So ... install LMS on the same pCP system (using the pCP menu to do it) and then point LMS to the locally stored music files.
    Ok, thanks.

What is the term AP?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFiero View Post
    Ok, thanks.

What is the term AP?
    Access Point.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b1 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Pi/piCorePlayer running in AP mode worked flawlessly for me I used it in the car for some months, but it became a bit of a faff, I now use a phone with a large micro SDcard in car.

I also used it a couple of times in a holiday home with no router/network. Again it worked absolutely without problem. Picture below shows setup for indoors, it doesn't actually need a battery when there's mains available. I used to take my Boom as it's compact and fairly decent sound quality, although the Pi has HiFiBerry DAC HAT, so can be fed into a decent HiFi system.

Go for it!

Name:  AP mode.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  208.0 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b1 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Pi/piCorePlayer running in AP mode worked flawlessly for me I used it in the car for some months, but it became a bit of a faff, I now use a phone with a large micro SDcard in car.

I also used it a couple of times in a holiday home with no router/network. Again it worked absolutely without problem. Picture below shows setup for indoors, it doesn't actually need a battery when there's mains available. I used to take my Boom as it's compact and fairly decent sound quality, although the Pi has HiFiBerry DAC HAT, so can be fed into a decent HiFi system.

Go for it!

Name:  AP mode.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  208.0 KB
    Good stuff, dude, thanks for sharing!

I took a break from the software and operating system stuff to work on the custom hardware needed to go inside this “beast”, as one guy described. I had to learn to solder very small stuff including board soldering. After watching several YouTube videos, I tried my had at it today. I was surprised that it wasn’t as difficult as I feared.

I was able to get all the way to doing a “plugs out test”, running the PiPod with a test data cable for touch screen control and internal power with an Adafruit power controller and LiPo battery. It worked, on the battery, played music and no low power indications! Woot.

Name:  4CAE8BD1-4482-4156-83BC-82F50D1DD0FD.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  256.9 KB

Be wary of that board from adafruit......I’ve had one burn up during charging.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Be wary of that board from adafruit......I’ve had one burn up during charging.
    Ok, thanks.

I’m doing a charge and battery endurance test now, and I don’t have a case yet.

Is there another UPS controller that you know of that will run on wall power when plugged in, charge the battery and then run off battery power?

I use a dedicated charger, and some switching relays. It also has a thermal cutout for the lipo battery temperature. And separate buck converter. I’m also only powering an old model A with usb WiFi.

That all in one board is nice, but it made me nervous when it smoked. They replaced it under warranty, but kinda blamed me for shorting it.....which I’m pretty sure I didn’t do. They are still just laying in my misc parts bin
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

I've dipped in and out of this thread over the months (!), and I wonder if the LMS setup that I travel with might be another solution. Following a post from several years ago, I set up LMS on a WiFi enabled Western Digital 2Tb hard drive. This has two WiFi cards, so it sets its own network up and can connect to an external network too. It has a battery, so it will run for a short period off the mains. I keep a copy of my music collection on this drive.

With this, I can run any player (or a number of players) - a tablet or phone with appropriate software, or a Squeezebox, or a raspberry Pi based device (I use piCorePlayer). At work I use a model 3 Pi winerally play through a tablet and headphones.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob