Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 219
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4

    Store files permanently on piCorePlayer

    Hi everyone,
    I have a problem; that every file (e.g. mp3) I transfer to /home/tc/ (piCorePlayer v3.10) is going to be deleted after a single reboot.
    Does anyone know how to permanently store files on the piCorePlayer?

    I want to save mp3's on the piCorePlayer raspberry because it too is running the LMS. Obviously /home/tc/ it is a temporary directory (maybe kept in RAM.. ). But I don't know how to find the place of the permanent sd-card-memory? Is it read only?

    Thanks in advance, best, Nick

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jeff07971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by nickma View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a problem; that every file (e.g. mp3) I transfer to /home/tc/ (piCorePlayer v3.10) is going to be deleted after a single reboot.
    Does anyone know how to permanently store files on the piCorePlayer?

    I want to save mp3's on the piCorePlayer raspberry because it too is running the LMS. Obviously /home/tc/ it is a temporary directory (maybe kept in RAM.. ). But I don't know how to find the place of the permanent sd-card-memory? Is it read only?

    Thanks in advance, best, Nick
    One of the "selling" points of Pcp is that it runs entirely from ram (with exceptions) making it pretty much immune from disk corruption from unsafe shutdown (pulling the plug)

    It is possible to put files on Pcp permanently but you dont't want to do it for this !

    Either plug in a USB HDD or a USB stick and use that for music storage.
    If you use a HDD move LMS cache to that as well

    Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

    Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

  3. #3
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,292
    Best Option is what Jeff said, but If you really must store on the SD card, the best way would be to create a 3rd partition.

    From a fresh image, only expand the main pCP partion (mmcblk0p2) to about 200MB, then create a 3rd partition on the SDcard to use the rest of the space. Make the partition formatted ext4. You will have to manually mount the partition in bootlocal.sh, mount it before the pcp startup.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    One of the "selling" points of Pcp is that it runs entirely from ram (with exceptions) making it pretty much immune from disk corruption from unsafe shutdown (pulling the plug)

    It is possible to put files on Pcp permanently but you dont't want to do it for this !
    Ok, that's a good point, haven't thought about that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Either plug in a USB HDD or a USB stick and use that for music storage.
    If you use a HDD move LMS cache to that as well
    Sounds good too, though I don't know how to change the location of the LMS cache. But thats a different part of the story.

    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Best Option is what Jeff said, but If you really must store on the SD card, the best way would be to create a 3rd partition.

    From a fresh image, only expand the main pCP partion (mmcblk0p2) to about 200MB, then create a 3rd partition on the SDcard to use the rest of the space. Make the partition formatted ext4. You will have to manually mount the partition in bootlocal.sh, mount it before the pcp startup.
    Ok, that one is a bit more difficult but also a very clean solution! I think I'll go for the USB stick in the first place and maybe set up this solution if everything works as expected.

    Thank you both for these good (and unexpected quick) answers!
    Best, Nick

  5. #5
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,292
    Everything that Jeff mentioned is on the pCP web Interface, look at the LMS page.

    Mounting the USB Drive
    Setting the LMS Cache to the USB Drive
    And even installing Samba so you can add files to that USB drive remotely.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    16,525
    If you have a lot of files I would suggest a powered USB hard drive . Takes a bit more shelf space bu then you can load terabytes of files .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member Greg Erskine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,719
    Quote Originally Posted by nickma View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a problem; that every file (e.g. mp3) I transfer to /home/tc/ (piCorePlayer v3.10) is going to be deleted after a single reboot.
    Does anyone know how to permanently store files on the piCorePlayer?

    I want to save mp3's on the piCorePlayer raspberry because it too is running the LMS. Obviously /home/tc/ it is a temporary directory (maybe kept in RAM.. ). But I don't know how to find the place of the permanent sd-card-memory? Is it read only?

    Thanks in advance, best, Nick
    hi nickma,

    The advice to use a USB stick or drive is the best.

    Just to add some general information:

    1. /home/tc/ is saved if you do a backup from the web interface or $ pcp bu. But it is very bad to add a large amount of files here, it will slow booting dramatically (to the point of failure) and increase the chance of SD corruption.

    2. Writing files to /mnt/mmcblk0p2 is permanent until you overwrite.

    regards
    Greg

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Everything that Jeff mentioned is on the pCP web Interface, look at the LMS page.
    Nice, thank you!
    Last edited by nickma; 2017-01-27 at 13:25.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    If you have a lot of files I would suggest a powered USB hard drive . Takes a bit more shelf space bu then you can load terabytes of files .
    For music I'm good with USB drives as big as they are available today.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    16,525
    Ok I was just thinking that the PI delivered with rather flimsy PSU . ( I have two )

    Would fair better with a powered external drive they are usually 3,5" drives .
    Not so elegant and designed but functionally better ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •