• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • left channel
    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Pommes
    Yea, replaygain off and volume att 100% is required
    Originally posted by Mook
    Pommes, thank you for your assistance. I got my Node 2i today and am up and running!
    I hate to bring you down, but I notice neither of you have DACs that show specific numbers. Just because a DAC perceives an MQA flag and lights up, does not mean the correct unfolding is taking place. I tested this a while back and got only 16/44.1, as have others. But I hope you're right and something has changed, and look forward to reports of genuine MQA bit depths and sample rates.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
    Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Comment

• Pommes
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by left channel
      I hate to bring you down, but I notice neither of you have DACs that show specific numbers. Just because a DAC perceives an MQA flag and lights up, does not mean the correct unfolding is taking place. I tested this a while back and got only 16/44.1, as have others. But I hope you're right and something has changed, and look forward to reports of genuine MQA bit depths and sample rates.
      Yes, I remember, but that was about tidalbstreaming wasn’t it? This time we are talking about MQA files on the server, and my DAC shows the 3 LEDs and blue led, which it didn’t with Tidal.
      So what would be the way to check, if it is working right?
      Just with my ears I am not able to distinguish between usual lossless and Hi-Rez
      The Earth Has Music For Those Who Listen

Comment

• left channel
        • Mar 2018

Yes, I remember, but that was about tidalbstreaming wasn’t it? This time we are talking about MQA files on the server, and my DAC shows the 3 LEDs and blue led, which it didn’t with Tidal.
        Just with my ears I am not able to distinguish between usual lossless and Hi-Rez
        A-hah! Sorry, my mistake. I did see that @mook wrote "I don't do Tidal", but I thought the question was still about what would happen after signing up for Tidal, because this is a Tidal thread. As an old boss of mine used to say, "There you go, thinking again..." (to which he added the first time, "Who told you to think?").

MQA files on your server are indeed probably working right with those settings, and I don't think you need to check any further, but if you wanted to then you'd require a DAC with a display that shows the sample rate in numbers.

Don't worry about not being able to hear the difference. A study in the UK found that many people cannot distinguish between different sample rates, and some of those who do prefer Hi Res can often only describe it in emotional terms. I can usually hear it very clearly, but in many ways I'm jealous of those who can't, because it gives me OCD about things like sample rate displays, lol.
        LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
        Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
        Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Comment

• Huey11
          • Dec 2017

I am a bit confused where we stand in this discussion: the goal is to have the Tidal streaming bit-perfect to stay mqa enabled, so a capable DAC is able to unfold etc, right?

I tend to agree with the conclusion that for Tidal streaming the plugin seems to be the limiting factor.
          A local mqa file at least sounds very ok on my mqa capable dac, and samplerates and identifiers all show as what would be expected for hi-res mqa files and normal res mqa files that are indeed place locally on the server.

Some looking around seems to show that on kodi a plugin is available that allows tidal streaming and one code change seems to imply that for mqa enable streams, a different authentication id ("Use a MQA-Enabled client_id to enable MQA") is additionally needed. (maybe need to take some time to install a kodi with that plugin to further investigate that route)

If that is true, the question can become: is this client id used, a "borrowed" one (such as the tidal-connect certs from ifi seem to float around), or is it maybe (and hopefully) easy for @MHerger to maybe obtain such an id from Tidal, so that also mqa enable streams become available?

(NB I am not a big fan of mqa, but as it seems Tidal replaces a lot of the flacs with mqa versions, I would like to at least have the option to then stream the "most optimal" version of them)
          Last edited by Huey11; 2022-02-06, 12:39.

Comment

• Blew
            • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Huey11
            If that is true, the question can become: is this client id used, a "borrowed" one (such as the tidal-connect certs from ifi seem to float around), or is it maybe (and hopefully) easy for @MHerger to maybe obtain such an id from Tidal, so that also mqa enable streams become available?
            Yes I would love to see this too. The limitation in the Tidal plugin not being able to stream hi-res MQA "Master" tracks properly means I really can't use the plugin.
            It looks like there is no real way to get the Tidal Connect plugin working on piCoreplayer either.

Comment

Working...